i30 Owners Club

Worn clutch fork

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
And suddenly, just after we made the "heroic" decision to travel away from our problems, a creepy hiss came right through my ears: "whiiiiiiiirrrrr"

"@**#" said to myself, and opened the hood.

Belts seemed ok. A neighbour, experienced taxi-driver himself, said it might be an alternator-bearing noise.
Off my way to a new dealer this time (I was not happy at all with the previous one).

Diagnose was immediate: worn clutch fork. Strange for a carefully driven car with just 26.000 kms.
Gearbox down, clutch fork, clutch bearing and pivot ball were replaced: a 3 hours job.

Car is still under warranty so didn't pay anything  :wink:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Car is still under warranty so didn't pay anything  :wink:

3 cheers for the warranty
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good news Babis, as you say,  an unusual fault for a car with that mileage.. :undecided:

You were a bit lucky (for a change) as clutch related issues are sometimes not classed as warranty on a 2 year old car (but as normal wear and tear)  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

You were a bit lucky (for a change) as clutch related issues are sometimes not classed as warranty on a 2 year old car (but as normal wear and tear)  :confused:

Just what I was thinking when I read this thread But a good outcome

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Good news Babis, as you say,  an unusual fault for a car with that mileage.. :undecided:

but a noisy thrust bearing at only 26,000kms and 2 years, isn't wear and tear. IMO.  my hatch has 42,000kms after 3 years, and my thrust bearing isn't noisy.   :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

:whsaid:
The noise was caused by the clutch fork. Bearing was found ok but with no "grease" inside, so they replaced it preventively (they deserve a big bravo for this)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Only 3 hours is good news for an of us with a manual which might need a clutch kit at some stage in the future.
It's one of the reasons I got out of my Impreza after I saw a Subaru dealer replacing a clutch. Nightmare and expensive.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
excellent babis.  :happydance:  i can
The noise was caused by the clutch fork. Bearing was found ok but with no "grease" inside, so they replaced it preventively (they deserve a big bravo for this)
i recall someone posting this problem once before.  :undecided:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

You are right: me, ogi, madcorny, molec and accim's uncle had the same problem. All south-east europe members  :undecided:

EDIT: at least I didn't suffer at all before fixing it under waranty :sweating:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

No grease in Greece, that's a worry  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

plenty of olives though,could have used olive oil.  :whistler: :lol:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

plenty of olives though,could have used olive oil.  :whistler: :lol:

Which BTW has excellent lubrication properties. Our wise people says: "Φάε λάδι, έλα το βράδυ" :whistler:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Reckon you mean by economic terms? :rolleyes:

As for some i30s produced by the Czech factory, I can recall they lacked grease too...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The "extra virgin" olive oil (which comes from the really ugly olives  :whistler:) has more lubrication.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Offline MadCornY

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
You are right: me, ogi, madcorny, molec and accim's uncle had the same problem. All south-east europe members  :undecided:

EDIT: at least I didn't suffer at all before fixing it under waranty :sweating:
That's right. I'm glad babis you were under warranty. In Volos, (a little bit further from babis) they asked 220 euro only for lubricating it. Now days the noise became a bit more loud, but I'm still letting it unfixed. It's just a shame it was 3 years and 1 month old on a 3 year warranty car. :mad:
  • 1.4 Petrol Steel Grey Premium

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

...I'm glad babis you were under warranty. In Volos, (a little bit further from babis) they asked 220 euro only for lubricating it. Now days the noise became a bit more loud, but I'm still letting it unfixed. It's just a shame it was 3 years and 1 month old on a 3 year warranty car. :mad:

I'm terribly sorry for the delayed reply... I was away for the last couple of months

Your dealer should inform you that
All i30s registered in Europe from January 1st 2009 onwards, have a FIVE YEAR warranty for the power train.
My dealer gave me a photocopy mentioning this, when I bought the car.
Here's the official hyundai press release:

NO    TITLE                                                                                        DATE
---    ------------------------------------------------------------------------    ----------
60    Hyundai extends i30 warranty to mark European factory opening    21.04.2010

Hyundai extends i30 warranty to mark European factory opening
------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Offenbach, January 14th 2009) Following the start of production at the new, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Nosovice, Czech Republic, all Hyundai i30 models registered in Europe from now on will benefit from a five-year manufacturer warranty.  The move underlines the company’s confidence in the quality of the vehicles built at the new plant and gives customers added peace of mind when they purchase an i30 hatchback or CW estate.

Since its launch in 2007, the i30 – like all new Hyundai vehicles – has been covered by a ‘bumper to bumper’ three-year, unlimited-mileage warranty.  The new offer extends the cover on the power train by additional two years, to provide five years’ support, again unlimited by mileage.

Reflecting Hyundai’s commitment to quality – encapsulated in the brand slogan ‘True Quality Matters’ – the comprehensive level of cover is complemented by a 10 years anti-perforation warranty.  The ‘peace of mind’ package is completed by five years’ roadside assistance for all buyers of a new Hyundai.

“It is fitting that we celebrate the start of full-scale production in our first European plant by introducing this exceptional level of cover for i30, thus demonstrating our belief that the plant will build the highest-quality vehicles for our customers,” commented Allan Rushforth, Vice- President at Hyundai Motor Europe.

“Designed and developed in Europe to suit the tastes of European drivers, the i30 set a new standard for Hyundai when it was launched.  Since then it has been hugely successful for us, and our new Czech site will add vital capacity to our global manufacturing network, enabling us to better meet demand for all versions of the car.”

All petrol and diesel models benefit from the enhanced warranty, including the latest-generation CRDi diesel-engine variants.  The new level of cover applies to all i30 models registered in Europe from January 1st 2009 onwards.

-Ends-

source:
http://www.hyundai.com/eu/en/NewsEvent/NewsEvents/096806.html

Offline MadCornY

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Great news babis, unfortunately i bought my i30 on July of 2008, so again i'm off warranty.
  • 1.4 Petrol Steel Grey Premium

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal