i30 Owners Club

Spider Performance Tuning Chip

THE i30 · 25 · 12679

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Rockhampton Queensland Australia
Hi I have just purchased a new 6 speed manual CRDi i30 I was wondering if any one had heard or used any of the Spider Performance Chips from the UK. They claim it will take the output from 94kw to 125kw and 260Nm to 345Nm and better fuel economy depending on how you drive. This is the link  http://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/spider.html  it sounds pretty good if it can do all it says it can.
  • 2012 Hyper Silver i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi 6 Speed Manual

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Interesting question.
I don't know much about tuning boxes but I've had a good read through their website and as you say, it sounds terrific.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Read this article

http://www.sedox-performance.co.uk/knowledgeBase/dieselTuningBoxesExplained.htm

and this forum thread

http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.php?14671

My car has all the performance that I need - if I had wanted more power - I would have purchased a different car. I am sure that if Hyundai considered it viable to push the engine to such higher power levels they would have tuned it accordingly and thereby put two fingers up to VW, Ford, Mazda etc because it would out-perform the competition.

I would be most reluctant to add a tuning box to my new 2012 i30.  Manufacturers are aware of their existence and the extra load they place on engines.  Can you be absolutely certain that the manufacturer has not set up a log in the ECU to record that a tuning box (which interferes with the operation of the fuel injectors, turbo or fuel pressure) has been fitted at some time so that they can contest a warranty claim.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
90 000 km car & tuning box still going strong! :goodjob2:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
As mentioned previously on the forum, I run a  Spider box and have done for the last 50,000KM.
I am aware of the theory as to how they wortk and found the artilces in the links Alan provided and interesting read, especially the Smartz one. ( OH for a diagnostic kit that could do what the Win-Star one does.... for a Hyundai!!!)  :blubber:

Check out the article, just to see tha info that cam be avaibale .....to someone who knows how to use them.

But I guess that Hy would have similar capabilities..( well one would hope so !!)   :whistler:

Anyway, back to the topic, I , like Bloodnut have had no isues and it performs well. The cost at the time was very reasonable and nowhere as high as the ones mentioned in the articles.

Elle B is a 2009 CW auto and as posted recently our average over the last 13 refills was 6.2 l/100km. This seems to be a better figure that many are achieving, so I can only put it down to the effect of the Spider box, as my wife is the driver 95 % of the time...so there is some consistency there.... :winker:  same route, non urban, 7 working days per fortnight

Anyway....my 2 bob's worth FYI
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks everyone for your input I think I might give it a go after I have run it in. Any ideas on when would be a good time to fit it as in after how many kilometres.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks everyone for your input I think I might give it a go after I have run it in. Any ideas on when would be a good time to fit it as in after how many kilometres.

Maybe do an interim service (oil and Filter only) at 7500 and then fit one... :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks Daz will do sounds good I have just clocked up 1,000Km in the first week so it shouldnt take that long :)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County

Maybe do an interim service (oil and Filter only) at 7500 and then fit one... :winker:

Suggest you to drive the new car for a period of time before getting the chip installed, to experience the difference between original setup and chip tuning setup.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Ok, I'll ask the question....Why?  :undecided:

I would like to point out though that it's probably a waste of time fitting the chip close to when a service is due as you will most likely want to remove it again so Hyundai don't know about it.  :whistler:

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
So when do you think I should fit it Rusty, after the 1500km service, I already have 1000km up on it after a week.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I would start logging as much info as I could right now. Most people agree that 10 k is the run in period for the diesel engine in terms of fuel economy. I'd have the 7.5K service done (if the dealer is doing it), then fit the chip and measure any performance changes from that time.  :neutral:

If you're doing the 7.5 k service, then I guess you can fit it when you please.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So when do you think I should fit it Rusty, after the 1500km service, I already have 1000km up on it after a week.

If it was mine, I'd run it in a bit first, especially if you want to use any of the extra performance, otherwise there's probably really no reason not to fit it now if you want to....  :undecided:

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
On any car, I let it do 10000km, before putting chip on, let it run in a bit, sort out any warranty issues, get to know how the car feels under different circumstances, iron out any bugs. Just my opinion, not based on any factual rocket science, really don't think chip would hurt your car, by putting it on before 10k, it unplugs in a jiffy.
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Thanks everyone fo your input Im really looking more at economy than performance as I do a 250km round trip 5 day's a week for work on the highway.

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Well i have fitted the Spider Tuning Module after 6000km and seem to be getting slightly better economy only about .2 litre per 100km cant feel any difference around town when changing gear at 2000rpm. But if you let it rev past 2000rpm it just takes off, it goes from 2000rpm to 3000rpm in a flash it has awesome acceleration. So all in all very happy with it at the moment :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If you get .2 decrease in fuel consumption AND better acceleration in 3-3 k range, then it's doing a great job.  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you get .2 decrease in fuel consumption AND better acceleration in 3-3 k range, then it's doing a great job.  :goodjob2:

:whsaid: (except 2-3k range)  :whistler: :D

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Yeah the revs seem to come on really quickly after 2k I think it is probably the turbo spooling up quicker.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

:whsaid: (except 2-3k range)  :whistler: :D

It's a VERY narrow band  :-[ :mrgreen:

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
And the chip is making the fuel pressure sensor lie to the ECU about the fuel pressure and as a result, ECU commands to inject more fuel than it thinks it is commanding. Therefore lower fuel consumption figure... Try the Alan's method of topping the tank and comparing the figures then.  :mrgreen:

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Well I just filled up after my first tank of fuel with the chip done the usual 970km but only took 43 litres instead of 45 litres brim to brim so slightly better fuel economy and as I said better acceleration and better when overtaking on the highway. I'm sure it would use more fuel around town if I drove it hard but I'm just driving normally changing gear at about 2000rpm.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Keep up the good work  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal