i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 1.4 crdi - services - information - help

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Hi. I am a happy owner of a 2013 Huyndai i30 1.4 crdi.

I have read in the owners manual that the services should be done
every 30.000Km=20000Miles  or 2 years for normal use of my car. Is this correct?
Every 2 years? Do I need to go to the huyndai service yearly to keep the guarantee
or it's ok to go every 2 years and lees than 30000Km?

Also the mechanic here told me to change the factory oils in 7.500Km.
Is that ok or it's too early and it's not important? Or I can keep the factory olis till 30.000Km-2 years.

Looking forward for your opinion.
 :victory:
Chris
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum and thanks for joining :D

It seems those intervals are correct... have a look at this thread (I know it's petrol, but that doesn't matter)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=25260.msg270753#msg270753

I sure wouldn't run my i30 for 2 years without an oil/filter change, but then again I travel 20,000+ miles in one year ;)

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Thank you for your so quick response. It's a really great to have support from a so nice forum.

Just wanted to mention that the owners manual for the new i30 says for the petrol version service every 30.000Km-2 years and annually change of oil-filter.
For the diesel it says only service every 30.000Km-2 years without need to change oil-filter annually. I have read it carefully and I was surprised too about that as it's a long interval time.

But isn't ok to do whatever the factory says about the service of the car?

Thank you!
Chris

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Chris

:wttc:

Congrats on the new car.

It's correct that the serviceintervals is 30.000 km or every 2. year, whatever comes first.

Oilchange at 7.500 km is not something you have to do. Some people think it's madness to drive 30.000 km on the same oil, other people just enjoy those long intervals. The important thing is to use a very good oil, this is not the place to save a few $.

Be aware that there might be an annual inspection of the care regarding the corrosion warranty. If they require such an inspection, they are not to charge you for it. (EU law).
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :welcum: as others have said the manual is only your guide,you either service on time or milage,as Asterix said also don'tskimp on the quality of your oil if you plan to run the full long service intervals,Personally I'm fairly anal about the changing of the oils and filters in my cars,I personally choose to change it every 7,500 Klms,but I do on average 1,300 to 1,600 klms a week,even changing at these short intervals it is still a bonus for me,for I have always with any of the cars we have owned previously changed the oils at 5000klms and filters,so for me I have gained 2,500 K's.

I have only twice run the full(15,000 Klms,for my service intervals for my 1.6 CDRi) and personally I didn't like the very noticeable diesel rattle they got running the oil that long.

To keep your warranty you must service as per the book and use,not necessarily a Hyundai dealership,but an Accredited service centre,you'll love the car great cars.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I put Penrite whatever it is in Ruby and it has run the full length, just coming up for a service by about xmas. No noticeable increase in noise at all and running like a dream, Penrite will go in again, next service. :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I put Penrite whatever it is in Ruby and it has run the full length, just coming up for a service by about xmas. No noticeable increase in noise at all and running like a dream, Penrite will go in again, next service. :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Yes that has been my oil of choice for years now,maybe the increase in diesel rattle is all in my head Phil  :lol: :scared:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I'd probably use it in my i30 if it was a full synthetic...  :undecided:
the one I use is Full Syn Rusty,as fully synthetic as any of the others on the market labelled fully synthetic

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Which one is that, Rick?
The ones recommended for the i30 diesel both say semi synthetic... :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Which one is that, Rick?
The ones recommended for the i30 diesel both say semi synthetic... :undecided:
Go to the Penrite site,HPR5 5W-40 Full Synthetic and recommended for the I30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's the one.  :goodjob2:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I owe Rusty an apology   :goodjob2:,I have just visited the new revamped Penrite site and as the letter I have from them(Recommending HPR 5),they for some reason have taken the HPR5 off the recommendation and added the HPR DIESEL 5,which is in fact a Semi Syn,I will be contacting Penrite and asking why their recommendation has changed in the past 6 months,also whether they are no longer producing HPR5,if this is the case,time for an oil company change me thinks.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Synthetic / Semi Synthetic, what's the deal.  :Dunno:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Synthetic / Semi Synthetic, what's the deal.  :Dunno:
My understanding was only fully synthetics meet the i30 CRDi specs? Put it this way, under Pip's guidance pretty much all the long term members with the diesel have insisted on using some form of fully synthetic for as long as I can remember...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'll check it all out tomorrow.  :exclaim:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just looked it up, that oil you're using, Rick... it says it meets  ACEA C2/C3, no mention of B4...  :undecided:
So one would assume that oil is for DPF fitted vehicles.....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
This is what went into Ruby at last service.

However, the recommendation has changed, so I'll have to check carefully at next purchase.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
not sure where your got those specs from,but if you have a look at prenrites current PDF files and look at page three gives all the details there http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs_new/April2013/All_April2013.pdf states A3/B4 there and on the containers as Phil has shown,as I said I am going to have to contact them,as for some reason when you key in the I30 Diesel it does in fact state the other oils you have mentioned,I would like to know the reason.
They have changed their recommendations in the past three months

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I just got it off the "Supercheap Auto" site, Rick...Obviously they didn't post the full details...

I wouldn't be too concerned about it not being recommended in that "guide". That doesn't mean it's not suitable.
As the bloke from Castrol told me when I quizzed him about the oil I use not being in the recommended guide, he said, just because it's not listed doesn't mean it's not suitable.

Apparently to avoid confusion they only list some of the products that are suitable.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I just got it off the "Supercheap Auto" site, Rick...Obviously they didn't post the full details...

I wouldn't be too concerned about it not being recommended in that "guide". That doesn't mean it's not suitable.
As the bloke from Castrol told me when I quizzed him about the oil I use not being in the recommended guide, he said, just because it's not listed doesn't mean it's not suitable.

Apparently to avoid confusion they only list some of the products that are suitable.
Funnily enough,most of the Auto shop people will go on these recommendations as well,I normally go in and just ask for what I want,one day I couldn't find the HPR 5 and this pimple face teenager,started going into how Penrite had changed their whole range and that HPR Diesel 5,was the new HPR 5, I was having no part of that.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
You will soon know if the oil you use is ok should you have an engine warranty claim.
Hy will no doubt test the oil before agreeing any repair.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
You will soon know if the oil you use is ok should you have an engine warranty claim.
Hy will no doubt test the oil before agreeing any repair.

Luckily or unluckily,whichever way youlook at it,I have already had one very minor engine issue with Cyril and I have spoken in length with Hyundai,they have already said the oils I am using are OK  :goodjob2: but like Phil said will have to keep a close eye on the labelling of their products from now on.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Do these cars need oil?  :undecided:
I've just been using 710.
 :welcome: csideris.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Do these cars need oil?  :undecided:
I've just been using 710.
 :welcome: csideris.

Some blonde lady told him to use it...  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Thank all for your replies and your welcome!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Purchased some more HPR5 Full synthetic for Ruby's next service in a few weeks.

Will not use the Diesel 5 as it is a semi synthetic and their new Enviro 5 for diesel's is NOT ACEA B4, so that's out too.

As previously mentioned, I'm quite happy with the HPR5. I like the 40 protection and we don't need 0 grade where we live.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal