i30 Owners Club

All good except economy ( thus far ).

Offline Racedout121

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Finally opted to buy a brand new BlueDrive Active and took delivery on the 29th Nov.

The car really is a lovely easy-going drive .... especially at night with all that soothing blue-light ambience  :cool:  Car has a surprising turn of power too when you need a bit of sudden oomph  :wink:

The Bluetooth is good, along with plenty of volume for the phone.  The media system works flawlessly and is fairly decent quality.  Car is very comfotable to sit in and the clutch is nice and light also ( still trying to get with the 6 gear setup, though )..  Visability is a little restricted in certain regards, but the rear-reversing sensors do help a lot from back-end considerations.

Didn't realise that the car doesn't have a heated front screen and condensation is a real pain in the a..e at times !    The economy has been way down on expectation thus far, so I am hoping to see major improvments with this shortly after a bit more running in ?!!
  • i30 Blue Drive

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Nice to hear you enjoy your new car.

Being this new, you should be a bit more patient regarding the economy. You propably need to do 10.000 km before optimal economy shows.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good feedback :goodjob:

As above, the diesel will take quite some time "bedding in" - my 2008 model took until 2009 to really start to loosen up (20,000 miles) and then I started to get around 62mpg.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Racedout121

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Hope I start getting much improved economy before 20,000, as that represents almost a 2 year timescale for me ( roughly about 10k a year  ). I bought the car for economy from the off, not for two years down the line ?  Diesel isn't cheap in the UK either - about 8p dearer a litre.   Diesels are sold here on their economy over the petrol and this is what sealed the deal for me, tbh.  So, having just filled the tank up again a short time ago at another £70, I am hoping to see gradual improvments over the next four to six months ?
  • i30 Blue Drive

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
If I fill my tanks patiently I can and drive accordingly I can get 600-650mls from my 59 plate and 500-550 on my 61 plate neither has blue drive , they def improve with a few mls on 👍
I30Sean

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Hope I start getting much improved economy before 20,000, as that represents almost a 2 year timescale for me ( roughly about 10k a year  ). I bought the car for economy from the off, not for two years down the line ?  Diesel isn't cheap in the UK either - about 8p dearer a litre.   Diesels are sold here on their economy over the petrol and this is what sealed the deal for me, tbh.  So, having just filled the tank up again a short time ago at another £70, I am hoping to see gradual improvements over the next four to six months ?

There are many statements on this forum about the distance required to achieve the best economy. I hope you read and understood them before making your purchase. You say that that you are doing about 10k miles yearly, that an average of 200 mi / week which is not a lot for a Diesel. What is your average trip distance. Diesels take longer to warm up and there will be a conflict with the DPF regeneration process if you're not doing long enough trips at a decent speed, to allow regeneration to take place.

It sounds like it is a line ball decision to go for Diesel rather than petrol, IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes when I got Bruce,I did 10,000 miles in nine weeks(16,000 k's for us colonials)still took me some time after that to get anywhere near Hyundai's figures,but am now regularly getting 4.6 to 5.2 litres per 100 depending how I drive,from what I am being told by friends who have the same year petrols,glad I don't have one of them,with the miles I do a week I'd be broke now.

Yes racedout121 economy with the diesels,is all down to driving practices,if you tend to be a bit heavy footed(like I can bebe)specially in traffic(stop/start)you'll never acheive decent figures.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I was told by an ex Govt driver, that a test used to determine smooth driving was with a glass of water on the dash, (in the days when cars had dash's that could support the glass). You have to be very smooth but with that comes great economy. I have adopted these techniques (to an extent, so as not to embarrass other road users) and I'm sure, this is responsible for our great economy in Ruby.

Basically gentle acceleration, a steady 1g up to speed limit, no shifting of the throttle and as much natural deceleration when required without brakes.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I remember trying that with a cup of coffee once....It ended badly!  :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol: Me 2, when I tried it.  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I was towing a concrete elevator at the time, ended up jackknifing it...  :-[

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I was told by an ex Govt driver, that a test used to determine smooth driving was with a glass of water on the dash, (in the days when cars had dash's that could support the glass). You have to be very smooth but with that comes great economy. I have adopted these techniques (to an extent, so as not to embarrass other road users) and I'm sure, this is responsible for our great economy in Ruby.

Basically gentle acceleration, a steady 1g up to speed limit, no shifting of the throttle and as much natural deceleration when required without brakes.

Many moons ago,to pass our Staff Car drivers test,we used to have to drive a test circuit,with a glass of water between the testers feet in their foot well,it was a wide flat tumbler filled to within 3/8ths of an inch from the top any water came out and you didn't get to drive staff cars,but once you passed then you got to do all the cool stuff
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Racedout121, I hope the seller have advised you correct regarding the choice between petrol or diesel.

How long is your daily commute. :question:

Less than 20 km per start is not good for any diesel if it's every day. Do you do long trips now and then, often or rare on the  motorways. :question:

Try to fill up the tank until you can see the diesel in the filler pipe. Then drive until low fuel light comes on and register the km/miles driven. Then fill up same way gain.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal