DIY Servicing

Tomata · 16 · 8065

Offline Tomata

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi All,
This is my first post so here goes:
I own a 2008 i30 CRDi Diesel. It is approaching 150,000 km and I'm keen to do the simple servicing jobs. Previously the dealer has done all servicing. I have the following questions:
1. Other than oil and air filter change to be done every 15,000km, how do I know what else needs to be done and when?
2. Apart from an excellent Google doc from Steve R on how to do an oil change with the i30, are there any other instructions around that I can use?
3. This is a bit of a random question: how many ks should I get from the i30 before I sell it? I have seen them for sale on Car Sales with nearly 200,000 ks.
  • 2008 i30 CRDi SX

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Don't forget the fuel filter, too. Very important to change at the required intervals as Diesel's are very sensitive to any form of contamination. I would refer to the normal servicing schedule that has been used for the car to determine what needs to be done when.

Not possible to give a life forecast as each car is different, bith in the way it is driven and how harsh a life the car has. Eg, if not garaged at all, then the body will show signs of deterioration in and out due to temperature extremes and weathering. If driven over long distances each trip then the motor will like this, short trips reduce the life of Diesels. Rough terrain will wear out suspension etc. so as you can see it is not really possible to forecast any particular advice accurately.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Tomata.. Is it a Manual or an Auto..

The Manuals have been particularly bullet proof.. If it is a manual and is running well and feeling "sound" then another 100,000 before you sell it should be fine (but I take no responsibility if it $hits itself next week)  :snigger:

Sounds like you might not have a service book that lists what has to be done when.. There are extracts on here somewhere (but otherwise I'm sure someone will scan the relevant pages for you)

I would do it but we only have the a series 2 (GD) petrol now.. We did have a 2008 CRDi Manual SLX for a couple of years and it was awesome..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome:
Great choice of car. I might run into you in Melbourne next year and we can compare notes.
 :i30:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Tomata

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks for your replies guys, it is a manual and yes I do have the owners manual and now I see the service intervals there.

I found this link by instroe that details all the work I'd want to do and more:

:link: i30 CRDi engine air filter replacement - instroe

I'll quote from his website: Engine oil Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5 litres AU$52, oil filter AU$26, Brake fluid AU$9, Fuel filter AU$42, Air filter AU$30, oil disposal AU$5, coolant change isn't actually required till 5 years (even though the service passport says 2 years) Fuel system treatment is another scam, any additive needed is in the fuel already. Total = AU$164
Cost at the dealer AU$600

The car needs all of the above (except the coolant which was replaced by the dealer at 135k) on the 150k service.

I think by the time I buy the required tools I should be at least $300 in front.
  • 2008 i30 CRDi SX

Offline c0mbat

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Kaiserslautern

• 2010 i30 1.6l CRDi Blue, 6 Speed
Is there a guide for the fuel filter replacement?
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue, 6 Speed

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Every 30,000 Kilometres in my service book
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Thanks for your replies guys, it is a manual and yes I do have the owners manual and now I see the service intervals there.

I'll quote from his website: Engine oil Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5 litres AU$52, oil filter AU$26, Brake fluid AU$9, Fuel filter AU$42, Air filter AU$30, oil disposal AU$5, coolant change isn't actually required till 5 years (even though the service passport says 2 years) Fuel system treatment is another scam, any additive needed is in the fuel already. Total = AU$164

The car needs all of the above (except the coolant which was replaced by the dealer at 135k) on the 150k service.

I think by the time I buy the required tools I should be at least $300 in front.

Fuel treatment is required,for diesel bug,believe me it can and does happen,if it is a manual all you basically need is a 12mm long reach socket,a 23mm socket and an extension,10mm may be required for engine cover if you have the large one,and if your doing the gear oil a 17mm spanner,make sure you don't loosen the wrong bolt on the gearbox,because this can be disastrous,find someone who has a brake fluid test kit,far easier than changing the brake fluid,if it is not required.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
When my car is serviced, in the paperwork includes a Service Information sheet for my model and year.  This sheet shows all required jobs needing doing from year 1 to year 8 up to 97,500 miles.

Might be worth checking your old serving paperwork and seeing if you have the same, my garage use these sheets and tick off what they have Lubricated / Replaced / Adjusted / Inspected and Carried out.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Yep.!

Another excellent guide from Introe.  Take a look at this: (reply #27)

:link: Diesel fuel filter internals
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 21:09:51 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Glad we don't have all that trouble with diesel bug / fuel contamination. Here most brands have 60.000 or 90.000 km intervals for the fuelfilter on diesels.

I haven't changed mine the last 50.000 km and still no trouble. Will replace it at next service though.

Regarding the change of brake fluid. It's easy to DIY. Have 2 liters of brakefluid handy and a container, I use a 5 liter plastic bottle used to contain washer fluid, with a hose going through the cap..

Open air bleed screw, fit hose and pump out no less than 0,5 liter at each Wheel. Make sure to top up the brake fluid reservoir now and then. If you pump it empty there's a lot of extra work for you.  :lol:

I know it's the rule that you need to be 2 people to do this so 1 can pump the brake and another can open/close the air bleed, but you can easily DIY.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Glad we don't have all that trouble with diesel bug / fuel contamination. Here most brands have 60.000 or 90.000 km intervals for the fuelfilter on diesels.

I haven't changed mine the last 50.000 km and still no trouble. Will replace it at next service though.

Regarding the change of brake fluid. It's easy to DIY. Have 2 liters of brakefluid handy and a container, I use a 5 liter plastic bottle used to contain washer fluid, with a hose going through the cap..

Open air bleed screw, fit hose and pump out no less than 0,5 liter at each Wheel. Make sure to top up the brake fluid reservoir now and then. If you pump it empty there's a lot of extra work for you.  :lol:

I know it's the rule that you need to be 2 people to do this so 1 can pump the brake and another can open/close the air bleed, but you can easily DIY.
In the past i have used a tube with a 1 way valve.

This makes it easy peasy on your own
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bot

• 2nd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Valenzuela

Fuel treatment is required,for diesel bug,believe me it can and does happen,if it is a manual all you basically need is a 12mm long reach socket,a 23mm socket and an extension,10mm may be required for engine cover if you have the large one,and if your doing the gear oil a 17mm spanner,make sure you don't loosen the wrong bolt on the gearbox,because this can be disastrous,find someone who has a brake fluid test kit,far easier than changing the brake fluid,if it is not required.

do you have an image on what/where is the drain and fill bolt for the manual transmission oil?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

do you have an image on what/where is the drain and fill bolt for the manual transmission oil?

Take a look at this, reply #42

:link: Help! - Oil change on 5 speed MT
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
get yourself a Haynes manual if you can get them down under,
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline bot

• 2nd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Valenzuela

Take a look at this, reply #42

:link: Help! - Oil change on 5 speed MT

Thanks!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal