Regarding first 1000k service(AU)

Bi3O · 41 · 12210

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Got a Supercheap catalogue today (discount auto accessory outlet for our foreign friends)

Has Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 for $59.99 (save $2) don't get too excited  :lol:

and there is now Shell Helix Ultra EXTRA 5W-30 for $74.99 (nearly as dear as Mobil one)

Who comes up with these names... :rolleyes:

Supercheap used to sometimes have Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 for $39.95 but since it has been "reformulated and improved" haven't seen it anywhere under $49.95 and often dearer  :'(

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes I saw the 5-30 but ended up getting the Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 as it meets the ACEA B4 that is required for non-CPF cars. I got the John Hughes mobile service van to do the service and he said that in the workshop they use a Castrol brand bulk oil for the Crdi but the one I got is good.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have never seen the Shell Helix Ultra EXTRA 5W-30 before so it must be new...

The one you got is fairly highly considered and you would imagine it is at least the equal of the Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 I have been using (based on price and reputation)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I hope so. I know the car has the 5 year warranty and all that but I still prefer to use good quality oils.
I also need to do a search of this forum regarding idling the diesel both on warmup but particularly before shutting it down. Where I live is at the top of a big hill (Greenmount for those who know the area) so I always try to let it idle for a minute or two before turning off. As I've said, I haven't had a turbo diesel before but I figure it would do it more good than harm.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm Lucky at the moment... I live in a little court and by the time I get to my driveway I've being virtually idling for a minute or so..

When I move into my new place I will have a fairly long drive to slowly negotiate ..

But if you live at the top of a steep hill a minute or so of idling sounds like a good idea...

I don't personally believe you need to idle for any time before driving off the engine will warm up quicker if driven gently for say 5 minutes or so at the start of your journey...

Lakes is one who often waxes lyrical on the benefits of a warm up and warm down.. as you will see from searching this forum..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Well a warm up & warm down always worked for me, so I thought it might be good for the car too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Hi all,

To clarify, the first service is allowed for in the delivery cost of the new car. Any dealer can do it, if you take the car to a dealer other than the one you purchased the car from, the servicing dealer will send the selling dealer a bill for the service.

Some techs get complacent about doing a first service, and there is very rarely a problem found. I was always red hot about having first services done properly - if it's done properly it's a good reprise of the pre-delivery inspection and they have been known to nip serious issues in the bud.

It shouldn't really be called a "service" though. Some manufacturers (Ford springs to mind) actually call it a "peace of mind inspection", which is much closer to the mark.

If anyone's dealer didn't do anything except change the lube sticker and stamp the book (known in the industry as a "sticker service", raise it with the Service Manager, and if they don't give you a good outcome don't go back. There are ethical dealers out there.

I "came by" a recent dealer bulletin listing the different branks and models of oil for the different models - it's a bit more up-to-date than the one Dazz posted. If anyone is keen I will try to scan it in the next few days and post it.  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I "came by" a recent dealer bulletin listing the different branks and models of oil for the different models - it's a bit more up-to-date than the one Dazz posted. If anyone is keen I will try to scan it in the next few days and post it.  :D

That would be great (it must be 6 months since Hyundai H/O emailed me that other one)

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

no worries, just give me a day or two and I'll do it. I also have some info about how to tell which CRDi engine you have. Has anyone posted that previously?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As in 90Hp or 115Hp? or with or without CPF.. (thought they were all the same in oz anyway)

either way don't think anything has been posted....

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

No, they made some other minor changes along the line, and there is a demarcation between the two engines. The changes were mainly aimed at smoothness and durability. I've got the info at home, will put it up when I get a chance.

Don't panic anyone, I've driven both and there isn't a big difference.  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal