i30 Owners Club

Capped price servicing and BYO oil/filter

tla · 7 · 2556

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My car is up for its first 12 month service, and I have asked around about discounts for supplying my own oil and filter.

All dealerships that I have checked with say there is no discount:  the capped price is dictated by Kia HQ, and they can't budge from it.

Is this what others have experienced?
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If the agreement for capped price servicing includes oil & filters, then that would be correct, however if you supply something, then they can't charge for what you supply, so the price would have to be less.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My last service was capped at $219 ( Rockingham Hyundai ) but because I supplied my own oil it came to $150, was supposed to be a $42 reduction for the oil but I think they might not have needed to replace one of the filters or something because I got extra off in the end.  :link: 12 month service due

If you're going to supply your own oil filter make sure it's genuine, if something happens with the engine warranty wont cover you if it's a non genuine.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Technically, other brands of filter are covered by their respective warranties, however, I always use OEM equipment so there is no possibility of long drawn out arguments should a warranty issue arise. Many other members do use other brands.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks for your experiences.

I'll call around to more dealers.   Maybe it's different between Kia and Hy.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
As I understand it it is against the law for Kia or Hyundai to mandate service costs. They can only recommend a price. They certainly can't stop one from charging less. 
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You need to read your capped service agreement, so that both you and the supplier know what's included and what's not. I highly doubt that oils and filters are included, therefore, any items supplied by you can not be charged to you in the service. However, the "service" cost may not be reduced as it is only the "service" that is fixed, not the consumables. Hope you can understand what I'm saying.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal