i30 Owners Club

75,000 klm (5 Years) Service.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well, 76,460 klms actually. Didn't bother until after the holiday break.

My car is out of warranty now. Interestingly, the 5 years came out almost exactly at the 75,000 mark as per the suggested service schedule. :goodjob2:

I used the local Repco Authorised Service Centre, Pelican Motors which I've had my eye on since we moved here in 2007. I used them to get our two cars inspected for rego when we came back to Queensland and was impressed with their workshop layout, their service and the equipment they have. I rarely recommend somewhere for friends to take their cars but sent both my sister in law and her husband there when they were looking for an alternative to dealer services. They were happy as were others I've sent there since, including my daughter with her previous car.

So, the stuff listed for this service included oil/ filter. The air filter was done out of sequence previously so I asked them to replace that. As the coolant has never been replaced, I asked them to do this, too.

Total bill was $220 all up, which I am more than happy with.
They tested the coolant and as it came up completely clear, they didn't replace it. They also had a good look at the air filter and said it was as clean and clear as new, so left it in as well.

Wow!
Just WOW!

I knew the air filter was clean but still expected they would replace it as most would do.
And again, they were honest enough to not just replace the coolant because I asked for it.

They'll do me.

While we're on the subject (of servicing) what do you guys think about cabin filters. I've never replaced one and never had any allergies/ smells in my cars.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
4.5 years and 125,000 and my original cabin filters are still in.

If you are getting the guilts you can get them for around $30 on Ebay.

Interesting about the coolant. I thought it had to be replaced every 2 years, like the brake fluid.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Depending on the coolant used, The Dextron or Tectaloy green coolant is 2 years or the red coolant is 5 years.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Not getting the guilts on the cabin filter. As I said, I've never felt the need to replace one.
Super Cheap has them as reasonable prices anyway.
Or I can still get trade (well, better than that actually) at Repco.

Re the coolant, mine MAY have been replaced at an earlier service (not the last one though), but otherwise it's original.
However as it's testing OK, then I don't see any need to replace it.
I'm reminded of Alan Ho's tales of the oil testing they used to do on the fleet of vehicles he was responsible for in years past.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don't mind replacing the brake fluid, because the pads last so much longer than I am used to, so the usual replacement  when the pads are done isn't happening.

I'll have to get the red stuff next time I replace the radiator fluid.

I would love to test my oil to see how it is going at the 15k mark....would be an interesting experiment.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah. Brake fluid gets done religiously.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Just a note to anyone wanting to use red coolant.
First of all why?
Secondly be sure to flush every little bit of green as they're not meant to work together.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
First of all why?
Secondly be sure to flush every little bit of green as they're not meant to work together.
Why! isn't it cheaper in the long run to use a coolant that lasts longer, With the HSV the service centre only use the red coolant because of the slightly higher glycol %

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
My i30 had its first (green) coolant change on year 5 service, as per HY specs.

Nothing froze and we went through a very cold winter in year 3, and it was still looking and testing fine at year 5.

my air filter was not replaced (as per spec) but looked very clean anyway. Cabin filter was done in year 4 service.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I didn't mean to sound like an arse, sorry.
It was a proper question. I've never bought any service items over the counter, always grabbed Hyundai stuff. Was curious of any advantages.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
First of all why?

Why can't they all get along???  :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I didn't mean to sound like an arse, sorry.
It was a proper question. I've never bought any service items over the counter, always grabbed Hyundai stuff. Was curious of any advantages.
I didn't think you were being an arse Tim :)

Other than the longevity the red stuff is supposed to have slightly better heat transfer abilities using a higher glycol content.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Higher glycol % means higher boiling point and lower freezing point too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal