i30 Owners Club

Transmission Components Failing, over €2900 repair costs, suspecting dealership

Offline gsymeoni

• 1st Gear

• cy Cyprus
      NICOSIA
Hello guys, first time poster, long time lurker  :winker: I'd like your opinion on the following:

Owner of a 2015 DCT Diesel BlueDrive, purchased at 5000 miles in July 2018 as manufacturer approved (UK Hyundai Dealership)

Have since moved to Cyprus and have been servicing the car at the Hyundai Service center there.

Story so far..

1.) Dec 2019, had reported judder while accelerating from stationary, was told by Service center that I might need a flywheel replacement and that there was a 99% chance that the clutches would need to be replaced as well.
2.) Got the call to pick the car up, lo and behold, no clutch change necessary, only flywheel was changed. Was told that I was just lucky  :eek: and all was fine with the clutches. Here is where it gets interesting. Car's warranty was to end on Jan 2020.. [~€300 cost so far]
3.) Problems with jerkiness/judder on 1st gear did not disappear. Lived with it for some months until major service time (Nov 2020). Was told that the clutch assy needed changing...and that simply calibrating the clutch before the wear threshold was not being performed anymore, since they had implemented the *new* diagnostic, which just says if the clutch needs replacement or not. Never seen *new* system with less features than the previous one..I digress..We set the date for replacement on Dec 2020 (fool me once?) [~€1300]
4.) Drove the car home after replacement, no judder, gear changes swift, like new. That was last week. Due to working from home, I hadn't driven the car since, and finally got to drive the car again this week. Took a first left out of the driveway, car was on its knees, I check the gear indicator..4th gear at 8mph, check engine light ON. I get to the main road, car is idling on 2nd from the get go and shifts 2,4,6..uh oh, where are my odd gears??  :eek:
5.) I call roadside and take it to the service center, where I'm quoted a whopping €1400 for an actuator.

SO

I mention that I am wholly convinced that this damage is their doing due to bad/wrong calibration (or worse), and that I do not accept the repair cost. That this is inherently linked to the previous work done, and it just stands to reason. I cannot accept that a car driven properly for 2years would rack up such a bill (all transmission related) without some engineer having done something horribly wrong.

I escalated this to the service manager, he did not accept my position, offered some arbitrary discount, and that was that. I told him to follow it up with his team and get back to me, the only thing he did was to get the diagnostics guy to call me and say that the damage is not related to any previous work done, and that it could have happened with or without the clutch replacement.

Am I wrong in challenging this? It's too fishy given how closely related all these parts are and I just can't get the thought out of my head that someone screwed up, and I'm paying for it.

edit: forgot to mention that I've clocked a total 25k miles to date
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 19:34:09 by gsymeoni »
  • 2015 i30 1.6 CRDi BlueDrive 100kW

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal