i30 Owners Club

Electric Window not working - interesting fix

Offline DaveBern

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
I bought my 2013 GD Diesel about 8 months ago, knowing that the RHS rear window was not working.  I finally got around to looking at it today.  Upon removing the door card (one screw was missing, so I knew someone had been here before me) I found that the switch connector was unplugged, and was pluged into similar, but different, switch, which had been floating around under the door card.  The motor was also unplugged.  Firstly I checked the motor with 12V, and it worked fine. Plugging the original switch and motor in, nothing worked.  Plugging in the extra switch, the driver control did nothing, but the different switch would only drive the window down. What was going on?
Thanks to a generous member in NZ, I had the dealer software which includes the manual.  Working my way through the wiring diagrams and switch schematics with a multimeter, I discovered that the wires in the harness to the rear switch plug were in the wrong positions.  How can this be?  The plastic inner panel looked untouched, and the manufacturing date matched the car.  I removed the wires from the plug housing (not easy as the little latch inside each position was a bugger. I suppose there is a tool for it, but I don't have one) and repositioned them as per the wiring diagram.  Plugging everything back in and it all worked as it should.
Everyting looked fine, and apart from where someone else had a go at fixing it, it looked unmolested.  I can only surmise that the harness was made wrong in the factory, and no one ever tested the window (hard to believe...).  The new owner must never have used it either until the warranty was over.
A real wierd one, which took me a few hours to figure out, but now it's sorted.  Just thought I'd share my experience, as as example to never assume anything, not even factory wiring.
  • GD manual diesel wagon

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good work DB - :victory:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Well done, Dave. Yes, there is a tool for extracting barbed pins, but you did very well to get your fix:

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal