Problem with starting the engine!!!

Ogi · 30 · 27800

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Dear all,

I am from Serbia and i am the owner of the Hyundai i30 1,4, 109HP as some of you maybe still don't know.

I have a very big problem with starting the engine and the official Hyundai dealer here in Serbia (Belgrade) can't resolve it. The diagnostics sais everything is ok, there is no error, they checked sensors and something more and there is no mulfunction as they say! They kinda changed the engine temperature sensor, as i asked.

The problem is that when the car is exposed to a very warm outside temperature, such as 30C or so (and more), i can't start the motor good, when i turn the key it starts choking for like 10 seconds, it works on 300-400 rotation, like without one cylinder! During that, the CHECK ENGINE light is ON ! After that time, it starts fine. Sometimes i need to turn it off and then start it again. It starts fine when i try for the second time! Almost always, second time it starts great, as it should first time. When i drive it, i can start it fine during the drive or when it has not been standing on the hot place for several hours. Sometimes it happen when its not too hot also and the starting of the motor in other conditions is not as good as before, even when it starts right away. *During the drive, everything is great*! It seems that hot weather has something to do with it. In the night or in the morning, i can start it first time i try (when its not to hot). This didnt happen since last summer when it also happened a couple of times when the car was brand new but then i didn't pay too much attention on it.

My dealer don't know whats wrong with it and i am pretty desperate about it !!!

They sent a query to a Customer Care Center website or something about the new software becouse they think the problem is with ECU and software installed on it. They say it is becouse of our bad, bad gasoline (which is true, it is bad) They say that there will be software update soon as it was for the Hyundai Accent which has some problems here in Serbia as well and the update resolved it. I don't believe them much and i am wondering if there will be a new software at all!??

They say that there are also other complains about this problem but i don't know what to believe! I found some other people with the same problem here and in Croatia but i don't know if this is a worldwide problem so that they could make a software update!?

Are you familiar with it?

Here is the video clip of me starting the car:

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK !!!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There are no diagnostic codes shown when they connect their computer?

If it was mine and not under warranty the first thing I'd check would be the fuel pump relay and fuel filter.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
They opened and checked the fuel filter, reputedly throwed out a lot of "garbage" from its housing. They also said they cleaned up the nozzles. They said, if there were errors during the start up they would be in the computers, checked the engine with the diagnostics and there were no errors!

I also asked about the fuel pump and they said it can't be becouse it would made problems to me during driving too. Is this true?

Next time i will try to give the key contact two times in order for the fuel pump to pump more fuel, thats how i will check it.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I had a similar problem once with another car I had.

It had been on a hill and in direct sun for sometime and wouldn't start.

As I was facing down a hill I let it roll and eventually it started.  

Never happened again so either it was the heat and had evaporated the fuel in the line or due to the slope of the hill fuel had "drained".

But for your issue you contact Hy HQ and report it and see what they reply.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
@eye30  I just wrote in the first post what they said! I wrote a lot about it.

@Lorian  What does it mean "re-seating" ? You mean, to change it ? Can a car drive so good as mine with a broken fuel pump?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Just pull the relay out and push it back in again, maybe replace it if you can source one at little cost.

I have had a previous car that would not start only on hot days becuase the fuel pump relay was starting to go faulty. The car was only 1 year old at the time.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
You could not start it at all or only the first time you was trying ?

Where is that relay on i30 ?? Isn't the fuel pump in the fuel chamber ? How can i approach it?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

@eye30  I just wrote in the first post what they said! I wrote a lot about it.

What I was saying is that you contact customer services as sometimes when the complaint comes direct from the customer rather than the garage they will tend to look at it in more details.

They will want to prevent bad press reporting if you decide to contact your local paper.

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Ah, dude, you don't know where i live!! They don't give a shit about anything, customer here is NOTHING ! I don't know what customer sevice you mean, we have a dealer with a service garage and they do all warranty repairs and so on... i can't contact the CCC since access is allowed only for the official dealers. If you mean this: http://ccc.hyundai-motor.com/ccc/main.jsp

Anyway, i went to another Hyundai dealer here and spoke with the main man there, he said he knows the problem and that it is definetly problem with the software, the car is having problem with "cold start" on high temperatures. He will see on CCC web site if there will be an update, he thinks they must make one becouse there is definetly a problem and the problem was on Getz and Accent too and resolved with an update.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Cheers for that Ogi

It seems that in Serbia you pay your money and thank you very much. 
Now your on your own.........

Any problems ring us but we won't answer  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
THere is a bit of a "she'll be right mate" attitude in Australia too ..

Although, think it is slowly improving...

For all the flack the USA cops from time to time apparently customer service is number one over there in most cases (partly due to their system of tipping.. I believe)

Over here that would be called a bribe (or corruption)  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline swiss_i30cw

• 2nd Gear
This could be due to a small leak in the fuel line, close from the injectors. When exposed to sun the line gets empty because the fuel evaporates through the leak and air is trapped that make the engine running erratic. When it has been flushed it runs then perfectly.
On the modern Hyundai it is difficult to flush the line because it is a non return fuel system, so the air has to be injected in the cylinders to be cleared.

Offline Molec

• 1st Gear
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 GLS Comfort Plus

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje

• i-Thursty
I'm having the same issue with my '08 1.4 i30. Everything was fine until I got it back from the last service interval, it used to start as soon as I turned the key, but after the service interval at 28000 km (replaced fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and right front stabilizer) it started doing the same thing Ogi is experiencing. And to be honest I have just given up on the car as it has brought me only hassle and annoying problems. I had a Hyundai Getz 1.3 before this car and it was just awesome (only thing I had to replace was the windscreen wiper cause it got stolen) so I went for the i30 and boy did I make a mistake. First 3000km were OK and after that things just started failing:
1. Steering column - replaced 2 times due to clonking noise at uneven road or bumps and potholes.
2. Front stabilizers right and left - replaced 2 times each
3. ESP always malfunctions when exceeding 140 km/h (checked the tire pressure each and every time, even replaced tires with no luck) so I have to come to a full stop turn the engine off and start it up again hoping the error won't come back but it does. Dealer doesn't know what it is and most likely doesn't give a rats ass (Macedonia is a neighboring country with Serbia so = same attitude).
4. Noises and creeks all over the interior (left door panel, right sun vizor, trunk door, passenger side dash board.
5. The manual gearbox is horrible when the temperatures fall below 10 c*, doesn't want to go into first and reverse is like wining the lottery.
6. Strange ticking noise from the engine - went to the dealer and he said : This is pretty normal it's nothing to be afraid of its just some dust in the clutch fork and doesn't need to be fixed. So my car sounds like a diesel now.
7. Front door seals letting a lot of air in and out at the front bottom section of the door, especially evident in cold weather.

The car is 3 years old and has 30200km now. What's next, will it survive 40000km or is it going to fall apart?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry to hear of all those problems Molec..maybe we can help with some.. I will edit this with a link to fix the glovebox rattle.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649.0

Other might be able to help with other things  :blubber:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
both of our i30's have got 35,000kms on them and are still like they are new,i feel your pain.  :disapp:  :blubber: our cars have had a few very minor warranty claims and were fixed without delay.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Molec

• 1st Gear

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje

• i-Thursty
Thanks for the link Dazzler, took care of the glove box today, as well as the right sun vizor. I don't dare to disassemble the door panel because I don't have a garage and I might void my warranty if I mess something up, same goes for the trunk door.

2i30s - Don't get me wrong I loved this car while it worked properly and I want to like it as I don't think I'll be getting a new one any time soon, plus I paid 15000 euros for it, which is a lot for our standard, but it just keeps on surprising me in a bad way. I think they sent the buggy models this way and gave you chaps the good ones :p but seriously the quality control folks do sent the problematic cars to third world countries cause most of the time the costumer wouldn't notice and even if he did it wouldn't change a thing. A good example is my colleagues Opel/Vauxhall Corsa, she bought it straight out of the show room and in few months time the paint started pealing/chipping off, and underneath the black paint was a dark blue paint and under that paint was the primer so obviously the car was repainted. The dealer offered only to repaint the car again. A year ago she wrote a letter of complaint including pictures to the Opel factory in Germany and she is still in the process of getting a new car. A friend of mine that works in the local Toyota service told me that sometimes during transport a car gets dented or scratched they just repaint the same car and sell it as brand new, this goes mostly for the Japanese and Korean brands but German manufacturers are not an exception.

Ogi - I found a way of starting the car normally, just hold the ignition key longer in the start position - until the engine starts working normally, don't release the key immediately. (Verglaj malo duze dok motor proradi normalno, to bar funkcionishe kod mene) - sorry for the Serbian language there guys, no offense meant.

Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Glad we could help a bit Molec ... Hopefully we can help some more  :goodjob:

It is not good the way they treat you folks... :undecided:

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Thank you for the tip Molec but i actually solved the "problem" . It was not a problem due to car itself but the FUEL ! Since Serbia has the worst fuel in the whole world i was pouring an Euro BMB 95 which is better (cleaner) than our domestic "regular" BMB (with no euro standards, too much sulfur and other shit) but the problem remained.

Then, a company EKO (Greek fuel company - Hellenic petroleum) offered EURO BMB 98 fuel, more expensive, imported from Hellenic petroleum refinery. As i started to use it exclusively, the problem vanished!!! No problem with this fuel! Obviosly, this car appreciates high quality fuel! Seems that they were right in the service garage when they told me that right away, obviosly they had the same complaints before.

I am at 39.500km right now, 2k km away from 3rd regular service. I am very, VERY satisfied with the car, no big problems so far (except many dead front bulbs).
I decided to change the fuel filter on the upcoming service even it should be changed on the next one (due to the service manual) becouse of the terrible quallity fuel on our market.

I do have a new problem though. :) It's not really a problem but it's annoying, maybe it is connected with the weather becouse it's colder now but the clutch pedal started to squeak. When i press it, i hear a thin squeaking coming from outside the car (the sound is louder when i open the door). Actually, i can only hear that sound when the car is in no gear (standing still) and i want to turn into 1st.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Since Serbia has the worst fuel in the whole world............

Then, a company EKO (Greek fuel company - Hellenic petroleum) offered EURO BMB 98 fuel, more expensive

Ha, some Russian petrol station may have a petrol of really poor quality in their tanks. I have read some comments, where people claimed their engines died once they filled up their tanks and started engines. Fortunately I haven't had any problem so far (I fill up the tank with 92 petrol).

Petrol 98!!!   :Shocked:  you must be a rich guy after all. I doubt there are many Russian drivers who fills up their i30s with 98, as it is typically 92 or 95 grade
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:05:36 by meehalych »

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
92 sounds low but the point is that serbian fuel is 95 on paper, it is definetly not 95 in reality! I guess our 95 is not more than 92 but the problem is not the strenght itself but the dirtiness of it (mixed water, has sulfur...). I traveled Europe (Greece, Italy, Hungary, Austria) and all of that countries has 98 and even 100 on almost every gas station. We have 98 on EKO only (few stations with it in whole Belgrad (the capital)), it is the most expensive fuel on the market but the best and the cleanest becouse it is imported from Greece, not from out rafineries. I dream that SHELL will come on our market some day, SHELL V-POWER 100 is the best fules i have ever put in my car and many people here say so. Even Bosnia and Macedonia has so much better fuel than Serbia. On the other hand, our fuel comparing with its quality is insanely expensive.

I am not rich at all, i just love to give my car the best (cos i'm a car freak :)). Euro BMB (unleaded) costs 1,5 euro in Serbia which is extremely expensive comparing to the standard of people.

One more thing, in the manual of i30 it sais " RON 95 or MORE" .

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
A lot of users in Slovenia put unleaded 100 octane in their i30's (1.4 and 1.6 petrol), because we only have 95 and 100 now. We don't have 98 anymore as there is 100 instead of it, and we definitely don't have the 91 or 92 for huh..probably 15 years now..?

Ogi: I thought the quality of "Slovenian fuel" sucks (and it does, comparing to Austrian or German), but now I see, it could be much worse..

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

A lot of users in Slovenia put unleaded 100 octane in their i30's (1.4 and 1.6 petrol), because we only have 95 and 100 now. We don't have 98 anymore as there is 100 instead of it, and we definitely don't have the 91 or 92 for huh..probably 15 years now..?

Ogi: I thought the quality of "Slovenian fuel" sucks (and it does, comparing to Austrian or German), but now I see, it could be much worse..
Well 92 is the most popular grade of petrol in Russia, so almost all Hyundai models are adjusted to run on 92 and the manual says 92 and higher. There have been some suggestions in a government, which aim has been to cease producing 92, but no one has been accepted and the issue has been put off for the future. I have been using 92 since my first car - spring 2008 and I haven't had any problems with either ignition or engine itself  :happydance:  92 is worth of 26 rub now, that is 0.83 USD that is quite expensive as it has to be worth of only 15 Rub

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Don't come to Oz then, our fuel is around AU$1.50 / lt & we are over parity with US$ 1.02 :blubber:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Don't come to Oz then, our fuel is around AU$1.50 / lt & we are over parity with US$ 1.02 :blubber:
The problem is that Russia possesses the great amount of oil in its ground, though the petrol price is extremely high and it is getting higher every week.
Our oil companies seems to possess a strange logic - when the oil price in the world goes up, the petrol prices in Russia go up; when the oil price in the world falls, the petrol price in Russia goes up  :eek: nevertheless.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:32:17 by meehalych »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I  like your price better than ours. :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
The manual gearbox is horrible when the temperatures fall below 10 c*, doesn't want to go into first and reverse is like wining the lottery.

The same problem here and its not much better when its hot. The gearbox is definetly the worst part of this car!! Seems that they fixed it later, in restyle...

Offline Molec

• 1st Gear

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje

• i-Thursty
Someone from Macedonia sent me an e-mail somehow but didn't leave any contact info so I'm gonna write a little in Macedonian (easier fur us to understand each other) hope it's not an issue...oh and BTW the starting issue is gone  :happydance: it sorta fixed it self somehow.

Please write in English only, thanks ;)

Sorry again guys, feel free to Google translate it. :goodjob:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:37:23 by Molec »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Someone form Macedonia sent me an e-mail somehow but didn't leave any contact info ...

If you can give the email address that was used (click the "report to moderator" button to tell us) we can PM you the members details, and you can speak as much Macedonian as you like then ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Molec

• 1st Gear

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje

• i-Thursty

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal