Hyundai Service Plan for new cars

AlanHo · 23 · 13556

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My Hyundai dealer asked today whether we were interested in taking out a service plan for my new 130 diesel and my wife’s new i10 we take delivery of next month. 

The following figures were quoted based on annual mileage for the i30 of 12000 miles and 5000 miles for the i10.

For the i10 the cost for 3 services is £603, 4 services £887 and 5 services £1,174

For the i30 the cost for 3 services is £615, 4 services £888 and 5 services £1,068

You can pay in full up front – or in 31, 43 and 55 monthly instalments respectively at roughly £20 per month per car. (Interest free)

All prices are fixed. You take your car for each service for the next “X” years and have nothing to pay despite any changes in labour or parts costs over the period.

I have never owned a Hyundai and have no idea whether this is good value or not. If it was an Audi it would be a no brainer and I would sign up.

Anyone out there with a good idea of UK Hyundai service costs who can help me to make up my mind?

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
you DONT have to get it serviced by a hyundai dealer, as long as it is a V.A.T registered garage and done to hyundai's recomendations, using genuine parts, that is good enough as far as i am aware  :eek:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yep, we can help you here.

Service plan - is it worth it? :link:

1st service costs discussion :link:

2nd service details :link:

3rd service details :link:

In 10 days I will be able to post details of my 4th (50,000 mile) service.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

4th in 2 years.

My 3rd year is due in mid Sept, 3 years old, and been quoted £170.00 or £224.00 with MOT.

I'm going to get the MOT done at another garage who are advertising @ £27.00.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Shambles - In your first link (service plan - is it worth it) there is discussion about "what if your dealer goes bust" etc.

My information is that the Service Plan is run by Hyundai UK and you can go to any dealer for your servicing. You are not tied to a particular one.

I also understand that the dealer does not get paid by Hyundai until 21 days have elapsed since the service was carried out. If you have good reason to complain about the work carried out and inform the Hyundai service plan office during this period - the dealer will not be paid until you are satisfied he has put things right.

From the information you have provided it would seeem that after taking inflation into account, it is almost a dead heat between pay-as-you-go and taking out the Service Plan.  Hopefully more members will come forth with their service cost history to confirm this.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Alan...

I took the service plan and got a bit of a scar when the issue of the dealerships going bust got raised, so I rushed to read the service agreement and you are quite right, it's not run by your dealership, it's run by Hyundai with strict penalties for the dealership if they don't perform.

I paid up front and came home thinking 'have I just been suckered out of some of my meagre pension'  BUT, knowing now that after Christmas the VAT is gonna shoot up and other living costs are gonna go through the roof, well, I feel pretty comfortable with the deal now.

If I've been suckered, well, so be it, only time will tell.

I did have one little moan about the deal and it was this, why didn't they include the first MOT  test as part of the deal.  Tight arsed buggers.

Asa

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I did have one little moan about the deal and it was this, why didn't they include the first MOT  test as part of the deal.  Tight arsed buggers.

Like you I asked if they would consider giving an MOT free as a goodwill gesture.
As they didn't do the MOT's on site the answer was sorry.
If they had I may have been tempted to take it.

I decided not to take the prepaid plan as based on their current prices plus a nominal increase of say a max of 8.5% over the 4 years in my case, now you may say way 8.5% - well I've no answer to that, I worked it out as not cost effective to me... Rather have the cash in the bank and pay as I go.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Like you I asked if they would consider giving an MOT free as a goodwill gesture.
As they didn't do the MOT's on site the answer was sorry.
If they had I may have been tempted to take it.

I decided not to take the prepaid plan as based on their current prices plus a nominal increase of say a max of 8.5% over the 4 years in my case, now you may say way 8.5% - well I've no answer to that, I worked it out as not cost effective to me... Rather have the cash in the bank and pay as I go.

Yeppers eye.....

One of my motivators was also, self knowledge, I know very well how dilatory I am at times, driven by inertia (look up the word inertia in the dictionary and you'll find a photo of me) I thought well if I have paid the darned money then I am gonna overcome my congenital inertia and got the job done.   Self awareness can be a good thing at times  :twisted:

Asa

But I see your reasoning and it seems OK to me...

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton

4th in 2 years.

My 3rd year is due in mid Sept, 3 years old, and been quoted £170.00 or £224.00 with MOT.

what do they do for £170 did you ask?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I posted my service details here. Gives an indication of the work involved, and the cost. Dunno by how much the 2011 model  will vary tho...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Alan...

I took the service plan and got a bit of a scar when the issue of the dealerships going bust got raised,

Hope you healed OK mate. :wink:

Or was that a Freudian slip? :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

4th in 2 years.

It's classed as an interim:

Basically an oil change. oil fliter, fuel filter, plug??? and a few squirts of grease on hinges. 

Oh they will top up washer bottle!

Also, they check on the bodywork paint and under the car for corrosion/loose protection covering.

The main thing is the warranty book is stamped.
Yes I know you can get it serviced at any VAT registered garage so long as they use HY parts but my thinking is if I get it done at a HY gargage then if I have a warranty clain there should be no hassle of proving correct oil (remember C3)/parts used and they conformed to the service schedule.

Offline BarryD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Milton Keynes
In a previous life I used to work for Mercedes-Benz Finance, we launched a service plan product back in 1994 which if you took it out increased the residual value of the asset by 10% - due to a mistake in the pricing it meant that if you took out a service plan then the RV increased by more than the plan and your monthly rentals went down.  :D  It was a popular product until the higher paid help worked out why.

on topic - I looked at a service plan but could not see the benefit unless they reduced the price (which they can do) by 20% - in essence I was committing to the services with them and would have liked a sweetener.  I suggested if they would not reduce the price, then at the very least they should guarantee to offer me £500 above trade in price - Nothing doing  :rofl:, so I shall pay for the services as I need them - I do around 22k (miles) per annum so 3 every two years looks about right. 

Offline Mad Dog

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire

• Barking Mad
Just to update this, I was offerred 3 services and an MOT for £140; £266; £137 and £39. I have declined, partly because I lost faith in the dealership but mostly because I live near an excellent independent. Interestingly they offerred to collect/return it for free (50 miles round trip) to get the business.

(Petrol 1.4 Comfort)
  • Ice Blue Petrol 1.4 Comfort Oct 11

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Just to update this, I was offerred 3 services and an MOT for £140; £266; £137 and £39. I have declined, partly because I lost faith in the dealership but mostly because I live near an excellent independent. Interestingly they offerred to collect/return it for free (50 miles round trip) to get the business.

(Petrol 1.4 Comfort)
will their/your insurance cover the vehicle whilst their driving it to/from the place of repair?  :sweating:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Mad Dog

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire

• Barking Mad
Hi 2i30s, not sure what they do in Oz but in the UK garages carry business insurance for driving any customer cars. The Hy service schedule requires a test drive by the garage as a final check (at least 3 miles) so it's the same for everyone whether they collect it or not. Personally I doubt that many do a test drive but unless you use a very suspect dealer they still have to get the car in and out of the service bay!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Don't have it to hand but my insuance say something along the lines that the car is insured whiist in the control of a garage and I take it to include their employees driving it.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Personally I doubt that many do a test drive but unless you use a very suspect dealer they still have to get the car in and out of the service bay!

Don't you note the mileage when you leave your car for a service.  My Hy dealer  has usually clocked 3 - 4 miles at every service in the last eight years.

Yes...I know McDo is two miles down the road.  :wink:

Offline Mad Dog

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire

• Barking Mad
Don't have it to hand but my insuance say something along the lines that the car is insured whiist in the control of a garage and I take it to include their employees driving it.

Eeek - that sounds scary, the last thing I would want is the garage crashing my car and then claiming on MY insurance  :Shocked:

Give me a chance baradeur, I've only had it a week  :lol:

MD

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I wonder why you guys doubt that the dealer will do the testdrive after service.

Don't forget that it's an opportunity for the dealer to find errors on your car, that yourself maybe have not discovered.

There are some things you cant discover when the car is on the lift, e.g. noises, vibrations and so on.

A testdrive will give the dealer the opportunity to sell you more ( good for the dealer), and you will have a flawless car back from service (good for you). Of course a serious dealer will phone you for approval, before spending your money.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I wonder why you guys doubt that the dealer will do the testdrive after service.

Don't forget that it's an opportunity for the dealer to find errors on your car, that yourself maybe have not discovered.

There are some things you cant discover when the car is on the lift, e.g. noises, vibrations and so on.

A testdrive will give the dealer the opportunity to sell you more ( good for the dealer), and you will have a flawless car back from service (good for you). Of course a serious dealer will phone you for approval, before spending your money.

That would be in an ideal world.. I can't recall many dealers who are that diligent. They are often hard pressed to fix what has been pointed out to them  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, at the dealer where I was foreman there would be a testdrive after all major services.

VW and Skoda did not demand testdrive after a "little/Small" service (15.000) but for every 30.000 there would be a testdrive no matter how hard hang up we were. On newer models 60.000 was major service.

I would not deliver back a car that was not ok. (Unless the costumer didn't want the repair done, of course).
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I suspected you would be one of the good ones.. The Local Toyota Service Manager is a very nice chap (i think he would do the right thing)

I know the local Hyundai service Manager too (not a bad bloke) but not as confident of the service provided  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal