K & N Air filters for CRDI

ElleB · 99 · 36589

Offline mattyallatti3013

• 2nd Gear
  • matty

• au Australia
      padstow
true true

the filter will stop anything thats big nuff to do damage to ur engine so really wont make a difference

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I thought i would point out, i don't think the K&N Filter would work out any cheaper that reaplacing the stock elliment with new stock one regularly like i do. as on top of the cost of buying one, you have to buy the special cleaning kit & thats not cheap. the oil part of the kit lasts a lot longer than the detergent part. i found in the past i was going through a lot more detergent. also you have to allow the filter to dry after washing it and you can't use heater as could damage them. i find it easier to replace stock with a new stock.

K&N filters are available on fleabay for $60-$70....so, the way I see it, 2 genuine filters would cost you at least that much, so I reckon it would have to be cheaper in the long run, especially when you consider the extended mileage between cleaning compared to the genuine paper filter.
I see the recommended amount of oil for an i30 diesel filter is just 21ml,  so a bottle would just about last the lifetime of your vehicle unless it's operated in dusty conditions.
Recharge Kit's were on special recently for $15 so you're up for maybe 2 or 3 dollars to clean & re oil your filter....  :undecided:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I thought i would point out, i don't think the K&N Filter would work out any cheaper that reaplacing the stock elliment with new stock one regularly like i do. as on top of the cost of buying one, you have to buy the special cleaning kit & thats not cheap. the oil part of the kit lasts a lot longer than the detergent part. i found in the past i was going through a lot more detergent. also you have to allow the filter to dry after washing it and you can't use heater as could damage them. i find it easier to replace stock with a new stock.

K&N filters are available on fleabay for $60-$70....so, the way I see it, 2 genuine filters would cost you at least that much, so I reckon it would have to be cheaper in the long run, especially when you consider the extended mileage between cleaning compared to the genuine paper filter.
I see the recommended amount of oil for an i30 diesel filter is just 21ml,  so a bottle would just about last the lifetime of your vehicle unless it's operated in dusty conditions.
Recharge Kit's were on special recently for $15 so you're up for maybe 2 or 3 dollars to clean & re oil your filter....  :undecided:

Rusty i've used K&N Filters a long time, the oil lasts but you also need the special detergent or risk damaging the filter , it's the deterget that you use most of & do you know how long it take filter to dry out after washing before you can put back into service? also i don't shop on e bay and never will as i'm cash only over counter buyer and always will be. how much is service kit? K&N don't last forever. a lot of guys i know don't use them now they use some other brand made in Italy thats super expecive supposed to flow better and last longer. but i'm now a dry eliment filter man. but go with what you like.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Rusty i've used K&N Filters a long time, the oil lasts but you also need the special detergent or risk damaging the filter , it's the deterget that you use most of & do you know how long it take filter to dry out after washing before you can put back into service? also i don't shop on e bay and never will as i'm cash only over counter buyer and always will be. how much is service kit? K&N don't last forever. a lot of guys i know don't use them now they use some other brand made in Italy thats super expecive supposed to flow better and last longer. but i'm now a dry eliment filter man. but go with what you like.

No worries, Lakes, use what you like, just pointing out that I believe a K&N can be cost effective. If you choose to pay top dollar for their products over the counter then I guess it will be less so for you.....  :razz:

As for the service kit, I did mentioned that they had been available for $15 (from Autobarn).

Looking HERE I see you can buy the detergent separately and in a range of different size bottles.

K&N Filters have a million mile warranty so K&N must think they are going to last...

I have no idea how long they take to dry but if that's an issue, just keep your old paper filter and use that until the K&N is dry.....

Cheers  :)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
No Worries Rusty, $15 is ok, last time i priced the kit was $35 at K Mart.
i've never had a problem with K&N, just young guys i sometimes race against that have Haybusha's showed me damaged K&N & said they prefer some Italian make that to me looks about same as K&N & is made from cotton too, but costs about double the price, i forget what the name is.

Offline Onijin

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Kalamunda, Perth
No Worries Rusty, $15 is ok, last time i priced the kit was $35 at K Mart.
i've never had a problem with K&N, just young guys i sometimes race against that have Haybusha's showed me damaged K&N & said they prefer some Italian make that to me looks about same as K&N & is made from cotton too, but costs about double the price, i forget what the name is.

Probably either BMC or Simota, but I believe it's the former.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome Onijin.  :razz:  ramflow also make a filter that's similar,but its not of the best quality.  :disapp: :fum:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Fitted a K&N panel air filter a few weeks back and so far quite happy with it.
I haven't really noticed any difference with it other than perhaps the engine pulls better at slightly lower revs....that could be my imagination though...lol.

Regardless, I'm happy to use it knowing that I'm never likely to have to purchase another air filter for my i30.

That alone makes it worth buying.  :goodjob:

This is the company I bought mine from and I'm happy to recommend:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/K-N-HighFlow-replacement-reusable-Air-Filter-33-2380-/370524054921?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5644f46589

Less than $70 Aus (delivered) in total is pretty good....  :cool:

Offline freakzoide

• 2nd Gear
I have my K&N for over 40K Km... no problems to report!
No other different than the stock in all ways (noise, performance, etC).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal