Engine Oil Change Frequency....

AlanHo · 11 · 3903

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I was the Engineering Manager for a large manufacturing company in the 1980’s responsible for supervising the maintenance of the Company’s machinery, lorry fleet and company cars.

The lubrication contract was awarded to a major oil company which carried out oil sample tests on all the equipment. The need for oil changes – or additive dosing - were flagged up by the regular lab tests.

At that time it was our policy for vehicle oil changes to be at the frequency recommended by the vehicle manufacturers. However, the life of a lubricant is heavily influenced by the type of usage the vehicle is given. For example – a car which spends its time on short journeys does not dispel acids that build up in the engine oil and will require more frequent oil changes than a vehicle which does large mileages day after day.

I had a company car – a Ford Sierra – and I decided to carry out an experiment to see how long it would take for 3 monthly engine oil samples to indicate that the oil needed changing. The car handbook said 12 months or 10,000 miles – so I was more than surprised to discover that it was just under 2 years and 56,000 miles before the lab said the oil needed changing.  We therefore amended the oil change frequency on all vehicles and relied upon oil sample tests rather than the vehicle manual – in the process saving a considerable sum in oil costs. None of the vehicles ever showed signs of excessive engine wear or any other problem related to lubrication.

Despite this experience – I now follow the manufacturers’ lubrication recommendations (which are very conservative) and would advise others to do the same. 
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thats why you have a company car!!

How did you go at trade in time with no logbook stamps?  Or were they kept for so long this wasn't an issue?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very interesting Alan  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've heard of companies that turn over their vehicles every 12 months or so and don't service their vehicles at all.
The savings probably more than makes up for not having a service history when they dispose of them.  :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Staff based around the country - rather than at home base - were resonsible for getting their cars serviced by local dealerships in accordance with the manufacturer's schedule.. Cars at home base were inspected and serviced in the company garage every 12 months or 12,000 miles and the oil changed when the lab dictated. It was interesting to see that some makes required more regular oil changes than others for similar vehicle usage. For example, the Managing Director's chauffer driven Jaguar - which did low mileage and driven sedately - needed an oil change at 15,000 miles. The Company Chief Accountant who did similar mileage but who drove like a man possessed had a large Ford which went about 25,000 miles between oil changes.

Company cars were generally sold off to employees at a low price as a "perk". The lack of service stamps for the cars based at the factory was never an issue.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I reckon the position you had would have been both interesting and enjoyable Alan  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
excellent post Alan.   :goodjob: :razz:  so going by your very informative info,there are a lot of oil changes out there being done for no reason.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

excellent post Alan.   :goodjob: :razz:  so going by your very informative info,there are a lot of oil changes out there being done for no reason.  :idea:

My experience was in the 1980's - engine design, component loading and lubricants are today so different - but I guess that similar principles apply.

What I do know is that car manufacturers have to play safe in their service recommendations.

Joe Bloggs might be a door to door salesman with his car spending all day doing short journeys of a few hundred yards at a time as he visits customers in a limited area - resulting in the engine never getting really hot - hence high acid build up in the oil and high corrosion. 

Whereas Fred might be a sales rep or service engineer flogging his car at the limit as he does long journeys dashing around the country every day. Fred's car is always hot and acid build up is minimal.

The car manufacturer has to assume that some of the cars will be owned by the Joe Bloggs of this world and set service recommendations accordingly. Fred doesn't really know or care that he could easily get away with changing oil at a much longer frequency - his company pick up the tab anyway.

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
so I was more than surprised to discover that it was just under 2 years and 56,000 miles before the lab said the oil needed changing. 

I would think that the oil may need changing more frequently, if  doing a lot of stop/start driving over short distances.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
so I was more than surprised to discover that it was just under 2 years and 56,000 miles before the lab said the oil needed changing. 

I would think that the oil may need changing more frequently, if  doing a lot of stop/start driving over short distances.

That is exactly what Alan(ho) is saying, the car which could be extended to 2 years was doing long journeys and reaching optimum working conditions, the cars on short distances have acid build up, requiring more frequent lubrication changes.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal