Where do I even start

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :-[ I cant believe it was late 2008... where did those years go.. :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Sumfin goin' down on the manor then?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Or as Jamie Oliver would say,' i30 motor, lubberly jubberly.' :wacko:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Bought my I30 in July 2009 = Happy.
Since then nothing but problems, and frequent trips to the hyundai approved garage

Fuel flat stopped releasing = 2x garage vistis to replace cable
Drivers door handle cable broken, 1x visit to replace cable
Clutch sqeaking = 4x visits to garage to replace the clutch fork
Rear passengers door handle cable broken = booked in to be fixed.......(I dont even use the back seats)
When driving the car there is constant creaking from the cabin like a very old car

Apart from this when you take the car on the motorway there is a constant loud rattle like something inside the compartment is loose, the steering wheel plastic is peeling away, the carpet on the floor comes away where it meets the plastic and when you select reverse the gear knob spins around in your hand, im sorry but the whole car feels cheap and I am waiting for the next door cable to break or mabe the steering wheel to fall off, cant wait to PX and get a reliable make like nissan or toyota, whats the point in a 5 year warrantly ifyou make such cheap quality, I am a very careful driver, driving less than 10k per year and service the car by the main dealer, I am tempted to complain to hyundai but I have no idea of how, I may be unlucky i.e a duff model, however when I speak to the garage they say the problems are common with hyundai, how hard can it be to make a car handle work, I have owned cars which are over ten years old and the door handles still work!

Is it just me or is nothing built to last these days.

This thread has gone completely off topic....lol.....I had a Holden commodore which was one of the many lemons GM apparently produces every year, dont even get me started on its problems (Like 3 page list)......

If you have the energy, and money, fight every single step of the way.....Keep receipts, keep documents, write down dates/times etc - Depending on how far you want to take it (within your rights) you can involve 'business and consumer affairs' or even get your own lawyer if you can afford to. If they can't fix the car they have an obligation to replace it under warranty.....(Honestly though I have never seen or heard that happen)....

Otherwise easy way out.....get rid of it (I bought my Commodore 15000 and I sold it for 5000).....I did not care - I had wasted money and time to it and I just wanted to get rid of it no matter what.....

Then buy something else that you are happy with....and hopefully it won't end up being a lemon......

Good luck!
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This thread has gone completely off topic....lol........

Yeah, unfortunately the OP started it with his closing question...

:rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The fuel flap not opening can be fixed by just bending the spring tab by the hinge to generate a little more pressure. Suprised a dealer replaced a cable for this. A squirt of silicon on the hinges doesn't hurt either.

As for cables in the doors breaking, not happened to me.

In fact a part from the radio being replaced and servicing I've not seen the dealer in 2.5 years (well I do drive past occasionally) It's a shame, I'm feeling I'm not getting the best value from the warranty  :lol:

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
The fuel flap not opening can be fixed by just bending the spring tab by the hinge to generate a little more pressure. Suprised a dealer replaced a cable for this. A squirt of silicon on the hinges doesn't hurt either.
What you /we would do and what a dealer might of course be 2 different things.  Just to be inflamatory .... I guess that a dealer has to diagnose and fix in order to get paid by Hyundai for warranty work.  I guess that a dealer must also ensure that he /they provide a permanent solution.  So dare I suggest that  bending a spring (ie an adjustment) will take time to diagnose and maybe get no payment, whereas fitting a part (cable) definately has a part, a fitting time and therefore a payback to the dealer..... 
There I have said it!
Warranty faults and claims are quite interesting - as they might be broken down into parts bought in by Hyundai that have failed (and arguably should have failed some quality inspection) and also to issues caused by the assembly method.  I would guess that a faulty radio or gearbox is likely to be a bought in assembly, a creak or a rattle is likely to be an assembly issue.  My own car has suffered a combination of all of these ........  Long live Hyundai's warranty!
Ed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well said ED.. Interesting way to look at it and all very logical really  :goodjob:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Interesting, I did not know Hyundais were manufactured or just assembled in Czech Republic as per the above spoken words by Talking Hoarse.   How long has that been going on?

Hyundais in the Czech Republic and Kias in the Slovak Republic with a cross border swopping of  some models occasionally!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-20/hyundai-kia-swap-models-between-czech-slovak-factories.html

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I believe the actual Hyundai fix involves sticking a rubber pad on the top of the spring and the dealer is likely to get a thirty minute time claim to cover this. Bending is better imho and is simple to do.  No point in loosing the car for a few hours for this.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Save your money and solve your fuel cap problem: get a bicycle
But if you don't, just use a silicone spray on the hinges; it worked for me, never had this issue again maybe for a year now.
Definetely Czech factory has (or I hope had) it's problems.
Mine is a Czech lemon too, having all kind of problems, mechanical or just rattles; some sorted out during the warranty and some other didn't (yet).

It's all politics, that is:
When brand new, the car had all sort of rattles. After many visits, dealer's mechanics kept saying that this is normal and blablabla...
I had to speak to the dealer himself (that is the owner) who was happened to be relative to a colleague of mine. If you don't have have such a bunch of luck, then you'll just have to persuade him that:
1) you're a reasonable man
2) you're not a sucker
2) you have your way to claim your rights.
Anyway, dealer himself took my car for a test drive.
After the ride, he handled the key to the chief mechanic, really pissed with him and said: Take this man's car and fix everything!
Car stayed in garage for 15-20 days (can't remember exactly)
Almost 2 years have passed since then and car still develops various mechanical problems but not a single rattle!
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Babis (excellent post) helps when you have been in the same position  :disapp:

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

I second that - Even though mechanically sound (touch wood) still have a few problems that seem to pop-up constantly. Nothing is meant to last these days - EVen BMWs have dropped to 20th in the reliability world ranking list.

My wife's '00 Accent and My brothers '98 Excel are still going with not faults!

• 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Since then nothing but problems, and frequent trips to the hyundai approved garage

Rear passengers door handle cable broken = booked in to be fixed.......(I dont even use the back seats)
When driving the car there is constant creaking from the cabin like a very old car

Apart from this when you take the car on the motorway there is a constant loud rattle like something inside the compartment is loose, the steering wheel plastic is peeling away, the carpet on the floor comes away where it meets the plastic and when you select reverse the gear knob spins around in your hand, im sorry but the whole car feels cheap and I am waiting for the next door cable to break or mabe the steering wheel to fall off, cant wait to PX and get a reliable make like nissan or toyota, whats the point in a 5 year warrantly ifyou make such cheap quality, I am a very careful driver, driving less than 10k per year and service the car by the main dealer, I am tempted to complain to hyundai but I have no idea of how, I may be unlucky i.e a duff model, however when I speak to the garage they say the problems are common with hyundai, how hard can it be to make a car handle work, I have owned cars which are over ten years old and the door handles still work!

Every car will rattle and creak in places.

Is the rattle you speak of in the 'compartment'... in the centre console? near the CD player?

If so I posted a fix a little while ago as mine drove me nuts.  It's not a hyundai part.  It's the top of the metal CD player chassis inside the center console.  You gain access by removing the storage tray thingy on top.  The top of the CD player might have some play in it (it will vibrate up and down against the walls of the chassis below it).  To stop this I simply inserted rolls of cloth to force it down onto the tops of the walls of the chassis so it didn't vibrate.  No more worries.

the only other rattle I have comes from the passenger side air vent when it experiences a big temperature change.  I havent looked into fixing that yet but when I do I will post that fix too

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
What you /we would do and what a dealer might of course be 2 different things.  Just to be inflamatory .... I guess that a dealer has to diagnose and fix in order to get paid by Hyundai for warranty work.  I guess that a dealer must also ensure that he /they provide a permanent solution.  So dare I suggest that  bending a spring (ie an adjustment) will take time to diagnose and maybe get no payment, whereas fitting a part (cable) definately has a part, a fitting time and therefore a payback to the dealer..... 
There I have said it!
Warranty faults and claims are quite interesting - as they might be broken down into parts bought in by Hyundai that have failed (and arguably should have failed some quality inspection) and also to issues caused by the assembly method.  I would guess that a faulty radio or gearbox is likely to be a bought in assembly, a creak or a rattle is likely to be an assembly issue.  My own car has suffered a combination of all of these ........  Long live Hyundai's warranty!
Ed

that's exactly correct.  And when you combine all of this with lazy technicians, you get screwed over, like I did with two different ford dealers.

Also, techs don't get paid as much comparatively for warranty work as they would for the equivalent job for a paying customer.

They need to positively identify a problem and record this and any replacement parts etc on the computer system to be paid for their work.  An adjustment might be really fiddly and take an hour but if the same job is in their books as taking half an hour that's all they will be paid.  Completely replacing a part which might be easier for them pays more however.

That said, at Ford I discovered they avoided testing or repairing my car at all so they wouldn't have to enter the details on the computer system and get paid crumbs for it.  (someone who is a mutual friend at one of the dealers looked it up for me, I was irate) They neglected looking into my warranty concerns to work on other cars and get paid more.

It's a stinking system and I wish it were different.

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

This thread has gone completely off topic....lol.....I had a Holden commodore which was one of the many lemons GM apparently produces every year, dont even get me started on its problems (Like 3 page list)......

If you have the energy, and money, fight every single step of the way.....Keep receipts, keep documents, write down dates/times etc - Depending on how far you want to take it (within your rights) you can involve 'business and consumer affairs' or even get your own lawyer if you can afford to. If they can't fix the car they have an obligation to replace it under warranty.....(Honestly though I have never seen or heard that happen)....

Otherwise easy way out.....get rid of it (I bought my Commodore 15000 and I sold it for 5000).....I did not care - I had wasted money and time to it and I just wanted to get rid of it no matter what.....

Then buy something else that you are happy with....and hopefully it won't end up being a lemon......

Good luck!

that sounds painfully similar to my experience.  I lost half what I paid getting rid of my Ford.

Consumer Affairs advised me the only real way I'd be able to get what I wanted was court action, but that would take time and more money and I was not garanteed a favourable result.

It's a real pity we don't have a lemon law like they do in the states.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal