i30 Owners Club

Oil use - oil getting into coolant

Sandy · 42 · 14584

Offline Sandy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Fremantle
 2 weeks ago I checked the oil on my 7 month old i30 and it was down to halfway on the dipstick - a bit concerning since it hasn't even done 4000kms, and no, I'm not a hoon! Filled it up and hoped for the best. The next day I drove to a friends place (some distance on a hot day) and after i left she rang me to say there was oil on her driveway - but none on my driveway. When i checked the oil the next day, it was back down to halfway. Booked into the dealer, told them the story, but when i went to pick it up was told 'there's no leak'. I refused to be fobbed off and questioned where all the oil was going then, and finally the service desk guy (not a mechanic) went out and looked in the coolant and there was oil in there. But was told it was OK to take it home and they would get onto Hyundai and then i would have to book it in again. Rang another mechanic, who said i definitely should not be driving it. Anyway, its back at the dealer, no idea when this will be fixed - and worried they won't do a proper job anyway since their mechanic couldn't detect a fairly obvious amount of oil in the coolant reservoir. Has anyone else had this problem?
BTW, glad to read I'm not the only one who stalls all the time - i have driven manuals for over 25 years and NEVER stalled as much as i have in the last 7 months - its so frustrating!
  • i30cw 2012 manual

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Sandy

Welcome to the forum.

Sad to hear about your car. Well, it's off course sad that a new car have this kind of problem, but don't worry, there's a cure for it. The fact that you have driven the car shortly, will not kill the car.

Most times I have seen oil in the coolant, it's the gasket between the cylinder head and the engine block, but it could also be the oilcooler if there's a such mounted.

Let us know how it goes...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome Sandy, sorry your first post was about a negative situation. Are you a he / she and can you tell us more about your car. It is obviously a manual, I worked that out. My experience with Hy service has been very good, but disappointing they didn't find the leak. Keep us posted.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Sandy (not good) did they give you a loaner.. If they are not very helpful mention this site and say we are monitoring the situation .. Feel free to name the dealer (we won't post negatives unless they screw you over)

Certainly not a common occurrence with an i30 (touch wood)   :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum.
It's a new one on me. The only time I've heard of oil in the coolant is on auto Fords where the trans oil cooler is built into the radiator and I know from experience as I've had a couple go.
Keep us posted.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'd have to agree on head gasket, but a very rare occurrence, what bad luck.  :(

Offline Sandy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Fremantle
Thanks everyone for your replies, makes me feel a bit better that someone might give a rats as the dealer doesn't seem to at this point. I took it my local dealer, Melville Hyundai, which is not the dealer i bought it from (John Hughes), so wondering whether that has something to do with their less than caring attitude. And no, they didn't give me a loan car, told me I have to book 3 weeks in advance to get a loan car! Didn't know I needed to be a psychic when i bought the car.... Anyway, hoping to scrounge my friends second car tomorrow.
Thanks again, will keep you posted  :confused:
  • i30cw 2012 manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is very poor Sandy.. I'd be contacting John Hughes and letting them know.. they  may offer some help :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That is very poor Sandy.. I'd be contacting John Hughes and letting them know.. they  may offer some help :undecided:

:whsaid:
I'd give JH a try.
I once had an issue with JH regarding trade-in prices and I wrote to him and received a personal phone call. He doesn't like dissatisfied customers and he reads all mail that is addressed to him personally.
Might be worth a go.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Sandy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Fremantle
HI guys, took your advice and rang John Hughes service yesterday (after ringing Melville on Monday and getting a vague 'we've ordered parts, don't know when it will be fixed'). John Hughes service were really nice and rang Melville  straight away and then called me back within 5 minutes - they said because Melville had already ordered parts there wasn't much they could do, but said i should call them back if i needed help. About 10 minutes later they called again and said Melville had rung and told them my car should be ready by Friday - here's hoping. So, all i can say is thanks to John Hughes service  :goodjob2: and that i will be taking my car there from now on, even it means taking a day off work to get it there!
  • i30cw 2012 manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Glad we could point you in the right direction, sounds like a good plan to me  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Glad we could point you in the right direction, sounds like a good plan to me  :goodjob2:

:whsaid:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
that'd be a gasket problem wouldn't it? I see that on older cars now and then, often the gasket blows shortly after

Hopefully they fix it up properly the first time.  If you still experience trouble take it straight back and don't accept the car until they fix it.  Dealers can be lazy

Offline Sandy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Fremantle
Yes, it was the gasket - which as you say does happen in older cars, but since my car is only 7 months old it is a worry. More than that I can't tell, as when I finally got the car back on Tuesday, the dealer refused to provide a list of what work had been done on my car. When I asked if the cooling system had been flushed (since there was oil through it), they wouldn't even tell me that. This whole episode has been so frustrating and really put me off my car   :(
Will have to try again to call Hyundai - due to work i keep missing their 8 - 4 EST hours  :mad:   
  • i30cw 2012 manual

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
all work carried out on your car should be verbally explained to you and an itemised print out given to you for your records.  the print out is a copy of the dealers computerised record of parts and work carried out on the vehicle. the wife's cw and my hatch have had very minor warranty claims on them,we received both verbal and printed explanations of the parts and work carried out.   
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Sandy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Fremantle
Yeah well that's what i said, but they flatly refused to even tell me, let alone give me a printout. They said it had to go to Hyundai first, and then 'in about 6 weeks' they could tell me. I have never been treated so badly by a car dealer!  :fum: :fum: :fum:
  • i30cw 2012 manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Speak to the Dealer Principle, don't mess with the turkeys in between, they've had their chance :fum:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Yeah well that's what i said, but they flatly refused to even tell me, let alone give me a printout. They said it had to go to Hyundai first, and then 'in about 6 weeks' they could tell me. I have never been treated so badly by a car dealer!  :fum: :fum: :fum:

Hi Sandy

I would write a mail to the Hy HQ right away, to let them know how their dealer behave.

This is outrageous..  :fum:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What are they hiding?

Have they done something that may have caused the problem to be greater than it was.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Sandy as Asterix says go to the contact us link on the Hyundai Au Website and document your concerns exactly as you have done here. You may get a favourable reaction and doing things like that will at the least vent your frustrations and put it on record.

Thanks for keeping us posted. 

Offline richie_bl

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      San Francisco Bay Area, CAlifornia, USA

• San Francisco Bay Area
Sandy,
Sorry to hear about your negative experience. When I took  my touring in for the 15K service,(here in the US) at the finish, the dealer explained that I would be receiving a survey from Hyundai as the want the customer experience to be "A1".
I would contact Hyundai customer relations and explain the experience!
Good  luck and enjoy!

Rich

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My dealer in Sydney refuses to give any paperwork for warranty work as well. Service come with the briefest of invoices as well. Just know the cost of labour oil and parts, nothing about what was checked or done.

I assumed it was Hyundai policy.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I get an invoice from my Hyundai dealer stating what was "supposedly" done.....

At my last service I specifically asked them not to bother checking my tyre pressures as I didn't want them deflated to the so called "correct" pressures.
Also I told them, seeing as I have a K&N air filter they don't need to check that either......but, according to the invoice they did both.....

I suspect they just have an invoice template with everything that is required to be looked at (depending on the service) that they use....  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You've made me  :( now  :wink:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Might the "John Hughes" mentioned in this Thread in Australia, be anything to do with the JT Hughes group over here in the UK?

http://www.jthughes.co.uk/New+Cars/Hyundai/17
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Sandy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Fremantle
Thanks everyone for your replies! I checked the coolant yesterday, and i would say that they did not flush the system - there is new coolant in there, only just above the 'low' level, complete with thick oily line at that level, so there is obviously still oil in the system...i have been told by friends 'a bit' is normal, but this seems like a fair amount. So maybe that's why Melville Hyundai wouldn't say if it had been done - because it wasn't. Anyway, don't want to keep whinging!  :undecided:
I rang Hyundai customer care today and got a sympathetic ear at least - awaiting a reply from their local rep....
thanks again for your comments and support!  :)
  • i30cw 2012 manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't think you're whinging at all. For some reason, you have not been treated correctly by the dealer.

Keep us posted on any developments.  :goodjob2:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
there is new coolant in there, only just above the 'low' level, complete with thick oily line at that level, so there is obviously still oil in the system...i have been told by friends 'a bit' is normal,

In all the years I've owned cars I have never seen oil in the coolant.

I would think that oil in the coolant isn't good for the cooling system especially as it may cause a problem when the engine cools down, say over night, and will be a while before the coolant is warm enough to flow freely/unblock any that may have solidified during the cold period.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal