i30 Owners Club

CD and radio volume reduced, can't turn off Nav, Nav volume stuck and more!!!

kiska · 39 · 18236

Offline kiska

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi, all.
I am very new to this - I've never used a forum before, so not sure of how to do this... and also bought my brand new i30 Elite Auto Petrol yesterday and spent at least an hour trying to work out some things with the touch screen, without any luck so far...
1. Music volume kept dropping to almost zero and strange soft beeping was on - what the hell is that and how do I turn it off?
2. WHY IS THERE NO CLOCK anywhere on the dash/console? such a basic thing - in my old car the clock was right in front, with the odometer and fuel gauge... this car does NOT have a clock to show time! RIDICULOUS!!!
3. Can I turn off Nav system if I don't need it on this specific trip?
4. Is the volume of nav instructions not adjustable? It's SCREAMING at me as I drive...
I found this system so frustrating and I've only had the car for 1 day... oh dear.
It drives well but this whole console thing and how UNNECESSARILY COMPLEX it is...
Anyone knows what I am talking about? Please, help!
thank you.
  • i30 Elite Auto

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
You did read the manual that explains the operation of your unit I would assume...

• 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Hi Kiska,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I am sure that somebody on here can help you out.  You might be able to provide some more information on where you are located as well, as I think that there are minor changes between countries.

Unfortunately I have an older FD i30, so can't help you on this one.

I hope you can get this sorted and you will have many happy motoring miles in the best little car in the world.

FatBoy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum kiska.
(She's in Australia, Jamie).
I have the Active so not much help to you but someone will be.
Isn't the clock in the centre display?
You'll love it once sorted and set up properly.
If all else fails, the dealership will do it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline kiska

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
You did read the manual that explains the operation of your unit I would assume...
Yes, I did read the manual - it does not mention any of these things.
I am quite intelligent and good with cars and various mechanisms, not some dumb girl, so I am really sad they made things so complex and dysfunctional...
No, the clock is NOT in the middle, and neither it is on the side... I can only see it if I start going through menus on the screen, and that is NOT SAFE while driving! The driver should be able to see a clear clock any time without having to take the eyes off the road for more than a milisecond, and certainly without fiddling with the screen and buttons!!!
The strange faded beeps are a mystery and I can not adjust the volume of the nav, contrary to the manual that says I can... I can only MUTE it and MUTE all the warnings about cameras etc. The MUSIC/RADIO volume controls don't seem to work for the Nav, they seem to be 2 different systems.
Not sure what else I can say here to make people understand the issues i am having.
  • i30 Elite Auto

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Someone with an Elite or Premium will be along soon.
I also like a big clock but I've got used to the one I've got.  :)
I guess it's not an essential driving instrument but I do agree it should be visible easily.
Be patient - I'm sure all will be responded to.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline kiska

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Someone with an Elite or Premium will be along soon.
I also like a big clock but I've got used to the one I've got.  :)
I guess it's not an essential driving instrument but I do agree it should be visible easily.
Be patient - I'm sure all will be responded to.
Small clock, big clock... ANY CLOCK would be nice - there isn't ANY.
This is what stunned me. Nowhere in front of the driver. I have only seen it in ONE SCREEN when you go into menus... and this is NOT the screen you'd see for longer than 2 seconds while in transition to the next one...
WHO is going to fiddle with menus every time they need to know the time while driving????
Would be easier to stick my phone to the dash and look at the clock on it...
SHOCKING.
  • i30 Elite Auto

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

On my Active the clock display is in the top right corner of the centre screen display at all times.

Looking at the specifications on the Hyundai Australia website, it says this for all model variants:

Ambient temperature and digital clock display

• Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If not too far away - go back to the dealership and ask them to demonstrate the features to you.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yes, I did read the manual - it does not mention any of these things.
I am quite intelligent and good with cars and various mechanisms, not some dumb girl, so I am really sad they made things so complex and dysfunctional...

Welcome Kiska,

Nobody would dare say you were dumb  :winker:  Someone did mention the clock dispaly being a bit obscure on the GPS models. My guess is there is a setting to switch it so that it shows at all times.

If you can't get into the dealer give them a ring. (Or wait as the others have said for an owner with a similar model to respond) 

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Welcome kiska..... :goodjob:

Seems you have more issues than just with the clock, or lack of.....

Perhaps you've screwed up some setting??  :undecided:

Regardless, I'd be taking it back to the dealer for them to sort.

If all else fails, you can always look at your watch... :p

Btw, you didn't notice if it had a clock or not when you were buying the car?  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome kiska,

I am disturbed by your 1st post.

Firstly, you've had the car 1 day, don't expect to feel comfortable in it as there is a lot to learn about the many features of the car.

Secondly, Go back to your dealer, who happily took your money and speak to your salesperson and ask that all your problems be explained and corrected. It appears they gave you the keys and said "off you go", this is unsatisfactory.

You seem preoccupied with a clock. It is not necessary to know the time while your driving. I don't have your model but I'm certain the clock is displayed on your screen, get the dealer to show you.

Of all the issues you have mentioned why were they not raised at the time of test driving.

I think you need to de-stress a little and start to enjoy your new vehicle, it's supposed to be a happy experience.

No one has suggested you're a dumb woman, so not sure what relevance that has in your post.

We are a friendly group here and we will help you if we can, stay in touch.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

You could always stick one of these on dash or at eye level on the sun blind

http://www.miniinthebox.com/popular/digital-car-clock.html

However - I still think you need to see the dealer and get him to sort you out.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You could always stick one of these on dash or at eye level on the sun blind

http://www.miniinthebox.com/popular/digital-car-clock.html

However - I still think you need to see the dealer and get him to sort you out.

I covered the clock in my my Car with an after market GPS so I put one of those on the R/H side of my dash...

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Offline kiska

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Welcome kiska,

I am disturbed by your 1st post.

Firstly, you've had the car 1 day, don't expect to feel comfortable in it as there is a lot to learn about the many features of the car.

Secondly, Go back to your dealer, who happily took your money and speak to your salesperson and ask that all your problems be explained and corrected. It appears they gave you the keys and said "off you go", this is unsatisfactory.

You seem preoccupied with a clock. It is not necessary to know the time while your driving. I don't have your model but I'm certain the clock is displayed on your screen, get the dealer to show you.

Of all the issues you have mentioned why were they not raised at the time of test driving.

I think you need to de-stress a little and start to enjoy your new vehicle, it's supposed to be a happy experience.

No one has suggested you're a dumb woman, so not sure what relevance that has in your post.

We are a friendly group here and we will help you if we can, stay in touch.  :neutral:
thank you, I did not say anyone thought I was dumb, I was just saying for a person of my intelligence not be able to find the clock or how to change the volume... must mean these things are simply not there... as I tried for a long time and have not succeeded.
I am not at all stressed by any of this. This forum is for people to seek answers to their issues with the car - and that is why I am asking my questions. I thought I came to the right place for this. I am very much enjoying driving my new car, it is fantastic. But, it seems that some minor details have been overlooked.
As far as looking at my watch, as another person suggested - no, I would not do that, it is not safe, as it means a. taking hand off the steering wheel and b. looking at the watch. When the clock is on the dash in front of you, it means only a very quick glance is required to know the time. And yes, I drive for work and I drive often and I ALWAYS NEED TO KNOW THE TIME while on the road. I am a punctual person, that is all.
I might buy one of these car clocks and install it on the dash somewhere easy to see.
thank you, everybody.
I shall be speaking to the dealer hopefully very soon (been waiting for his call for a bit) and ask him all these questions. None of this came up at test drive time because I did not think about such issues. In the car I test drove the Nav didn't SCREAM as we drove... But in my car it does. I didn't need to see the clock and so I didn't look for one... and so forth. I am not that experienced at buying brand new cars - it's my first one ever, so I guess my lack of experience is the reason for not asking enough questions... plus, this car is PACKED with features that my 1999 Lantra never had - cars used to be so SIMPLE... and so, how can one anticipate everything that could go wrong here?
  • i30 Elite Auto

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Good luck with it. I hope they can sort it out for you.
They really are a top car and as I said, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it once these issues have been dealt with.
Please let us know how the dealership responds too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Glad to hear you are basically happy with your car. I'm sure, the dealer should be able to sort out all these matters.

Thanks for your further explanation and you're learning fast, using the "Quote" function already  :goodjob2:

Yes, you did come to the right place.  :goodjob2:

We like to see pics, so that would be nice too  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Kiska, to summaries the above, something in your dash display is either locked into one of the "settings" modes, possibly before you left the dealer or there is a fault with it. Each of the issues you have mentioned will be resolved by the dealer. That's what they're there for at this early stage.
There is no doubt that the correct "Default" screen shows a clock.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

ouri30
Kiska,

Welcome to the forum and to the world of i30 owners. Don't have our Premium yet so can't help with first hand experience.  Ive just been doing a bit of research in preparation for our car's arrival.

The head unit in the i30 is similar to the one in the Veloster Turbo,  Veloster + and some of the other Elite and Premium cars.  Can't remember where I read it, but the GPS volume can be adjusted using the volume control when the GPS is giving audible commands.  There is a place in the menu system that has a volume slide control but apparently it doesn't work.

The soft beeping may well be the traffic hazard (speed cameras, red light cameras, etc.) warning beep.  When it sounds, apparently the sound system volume reduces.

I'm sure others will enlighten you.

Somewhere on this forum there is quite a bit of info about issues with the head unit and GPS.  I suggest you do a search and see what you find.

Hang in there Kiska

Offline onine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Lota, Brisbane
I am wondering if the answer to problem 1 is the blue tooth When it answers a call on my car it mutes the radio

Offline kiska

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi, you all wonderful i30 owners!
In the last few days, after much experimentation with the controls, I think I've solved most of my problems.
I have decided NOT to use the nav system and instead have been using my tom tom, which I find much much easier and I am so used to it...
I have found the clock, it's always on in the right hand side corner of the display... Not the best place for it as the driver has to look sideways instead of straight on... but it's ok.
The sound of radio/CD still fades, all the time and it is really annoying but there is nothing I can do, as I have not found the way to turn off the nav thing altogether, that would be ideal... My daughter likes to listen to stories while we drive, and she also gets upset as the words in the story just fade to zero all the bloody time... it disrupts the story a lot worse than a song... of course.
If anyone knows the way to DISABLE or turn off the nav - if this is at all possible - please, let me know.
Also, another issue popped up - when I stop the car and turn off the ignition (keyless button), sometimes the car starts beeping - on the inside, not the horn - some sort of alarm... and then I can't lock it with smart lock button on the handle... I have to re-start the car, then turn it off again and then it's all good...
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???
Also, sometimes as I reverse, it beeps at me, but there is absolutely NOTHING behind me, so why is it warning me?
Besides these issues, the car is BRILLIANT and I love driving it. I love everything else about it.
I am in love with my car... for the first time in my life.
cheers, all.
  • i30 Elite Auto

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I can't answer the radio/nav questions because I have the Active, but someone will.
As for the rear parking sensors beeping, are you on flat ground when that happens or a slope?
The reason I ask is that when I reverse out of my driveway (a slope), when I get to the bottom where it meets the road, I sometimes (but not always) get a beep or two as well and there is nothing behind me.
I put it down to the angle of the car as it approaches the level road, if that makes sense, then as soon as the car starts to level out, the beeping stops.
It may or may not be the case in your situation but worth mentioning.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Kiska.

Have you consulted your dealer about your issues.. :question:

These annoying things you mention would drive me insane in no time, so must admire your patience.

I'm sure there's a solution for it.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
The clock is accessible by pressing a button up near the top of the CD input slot. It should have an icon on it that looks like a clock.

You will also have a digital clock on when you are on the radio screen. To flick over to the radio screen, you press the button labelled 'Radio'. It is a physical button located on the top left side of the GPS screen.

Personally I would like a clock on the leg side of the temperature display in the drivers instrument cluster, like the VW's have. The space is there for it.

As for your audio levels, it sounds like you have Speed Dependent Volume Control turned on, which is the default for all cars. Look in your manual for this, or SDVC. It can be turned off in one of the settings options accessible by pressing the physical button on the right side o the screen. From what I recall it will have a cog like icon on it (it should be the third button down from the top).

As for your GPS volume, it will be controlled using the volume buttons on the steering wheel, or the volume dial on the dash. It is 'loud' because the audio comes out of the front speakers, which are a lot more powerful than the ones you will have in a little portable GPS unit.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
OK so we have defined that the clock is on the display, I would point out that in any mode on the unit there is a clock on screen somewhere, you have found it when on the radio screen, it will be in the same place on the CD/USB/AUX screen and in the sat nav screen it is in the bottom left, with further details about time to destination etc when in nav mode rather than in map mode.

As already stated a digital clock which fills the entire screen is also available when pressing the clock button beside the CD slot, this button also displays an analogue clock when the unit is off.

I don't think that the issues with volume can be a problem attributed to the satnav as the only time that is active is when in map or nav mode, if on media mode the only thing which can have an effect is if you have set a destination in nav mode then flipped to a media screen or as previously suggested the SDVC.  Also previously mentioned is that audible alerts for traffic may cause an override of any playing media, if you don't need traffic alerts, switch them off.

There is an audible alarm in the keyless cars which will go off if you have the car started then get out with the key in your pocket, this alarm also operates if you try to lock the car with the smart button but have left the keyfob inside the vehicle (it will give a constant beep and refuse to lock the vehicle), make sure you have not left the spare key in the vehicle as this will cause the alarm.

If this is not the case then perhaps a reset of the system will fix it, get into the car and using the keyfob press the start button (yes the fob not your finger!) this performs a soft reset for you.

Remember that the reversing sensors are not only "looking" directly behind you, they are also looking 45 degrees left and right, so whilst there is nothing behind you, they will also alert you of obstacles to either side of the car, does the new i30 have the same graphic as the i40 where it highlights which sensor is picking up an item?  If so then a quick glance will show you that it is probably a gate post or bush to the side of the vehicle rather than behind that you are being alerted of.

Hope this helps!
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Titchthephot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Somerset
I have the Style Nav so I hope it is the same. To turn the volume of the Sat Nav down you need to wait until the Sat Nav voice is actually speaking and then turn it down using the steering wheel buttons. To turn off the Nav, press 'Nav' and there should be six options. The bottom right one should say  something about stopping guidance (sorry, i can't remember the exact wording.). The clock is viewable in Radio mode (top right hand corner) or can be seen in full when pressing the button next to the CD slot. If you turn off the radio and Sat Nav (round button, top left) and then press the button next to the CD slot the clock (this time an analogue clock instead of a digital one!)  will appear and stay on (when radio etc is on the clock only shows for a few seconds). I realise that this may be totally different in the Australian version but that is how the British one is. If you have and iPad you can down load and i30 app and it will tell you how to do all this. Hope it helps.
  • i30 style nav

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Well I just learned something. WHY is the clock not beside the outside temperature display on the instruments and on all the time? Then you don't have to push buttons and look all over the place for it. 
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

ouri30
Well I just learned something. WHY is the clock not beside the outside temperature display on the instruments and on all the time? Then you don't have to push buttons and look all over the place for it.

Hy would point out that the clock is part of the head unit and is synced via GPS satellites. However owners would say, "The head unit has issues syncing with time accurately through the GPS satellite service."  It's not just i30s that have this problem.  It's an issue in Velosters, i40s, i45s, ix35 (new) as they have the same head unit.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
OK, its too clever then to have another one in front of the driver all the time. Makes sense now. Or it wasn't thought through properly. One or the other.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal