i30 Owners Club

WEIRD WINING SOUND AND CLATTERING AT STARTUP !

i30RSA · 39 · 15464

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Hey, ive had my Hyundai i30 1.8 GLS for 3 months now and already im having engine troubles ! My car has this weird wining sound when I start it up in the morning, goes on for 10 or more seconds and apparently all the cars at the dealership has the same problem. I took it in to the dealer and they fixed it, now all of a sudden my car has this terrible clattering sound when I start it up cold in the mornings. Took it to the dealership AGAIN, the mechanics had a look at it and replaced the tappet cover and gaskets. Took it for a drive to hear if they fixed the problem and its sounding even worse now, when I rev it slightly it has this terrible metalish sound, almost like nails ratteling around in the engine, obviously something is very wrong. Now they told me to bring it in again so they could replace the rockers and valve-lifters which apparently has not been set right when the engine was build, thus these parts got damaged, now they have to replace that as well. First the whining sound and now it sounds as if my engine is falling apart everytime I start it. It clatters on startup and keeps on clattering when I drive and accelerate.

Anyone here maybe know whats wrong and why it clatters like that ? Anyone else experiencing the same clattering problem ? Did you get it fixed and if, what did they fix ?
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
My first thought is oil starvation to the hydraulic valve buckets, how cold is cold for you? I will guess at South Africa is your home, but the right grade oil is vital.  A 1.8 engine I guess is a petrol...? Did you buy the car new or used And if it was used, did it come with a Service history?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Ok, first question, the oil is fine, I asked them if I could use synthetic oil like Prolong and they said no and that I should keep to the oil that the car came out with which is high grade Caltex Havolin oil. Im no mechanic but if the oil is to thick and blobby it wont be fluid enough to get to the engine parts fast enough which causes the engine to clatter. My cold is around 10C to 15C, its autumn in South Africa now so the cold which gets far below freezing is only coming in May, June and July ! The 1.8 GLS is the petrol yes ! I bought it brand new, only has like 3000miles (5000km) on at the moment and I do have the service booklet.

They did take care of the whining noise but they were baffled, took days and countless calls to HQ in Joburg to fix it. Now that the whining noise is gone they have to figure out what causes the clattering, they replaced the tappet cover and some gaskets with brand new ones but its still clattering. The mechanic then told me that it might be the rockers and the hydraulic lifters that has not been set properly and not opening and closing the valves properly. When I lightly rev the car above 1500 RPM it has like a rattling sound coming from the engine that sounds completely like a metal bucket full of nails and it has the tendency to misfire if I keep it at that revs, kinda has this weird vibration in the car coming from the engine above 1500 RPM !

I did buy this car BRAND NEW from the dealership floor and it was driven properly and according to what the booklet told me how a new car should be driven. Why it started with all these troubles I wouldnt know . . . . . .
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Your previous posts indicate a high speed preference in your driving style and using all of the available rev range. If you drove the new car gently, then you definitely shouldn't have these problems. Most members driving diesels, are using oils like 0-30 or 5-40, I would expect a petrol motor to also use these oils. Cold, the oil does need to remain thin, so parts are adequately lubricated.

Hydraulic valve lifters require no adjustment other than correct initial fitting at engine manufacture. This is usually just torquing 1 bolt in the rocker assembly to the correct torque, after that, oil takes care of all adjustments due to expansion etc. The engine assembly plant would not make a critical error like that. I think you're being fed "droppings of the cow's husband". I say it's the oil.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
That doesn't sound right, misfiring and such. Its not pinging is it? If so that could be for a whole range of reasons like faulty sensors.

Regarding the top end rattle, our Getz got a little rattle in the valve train when cold, a change of oil sorted that out. Your issues sound less likely to be solved with an oil change. But I would get it changed anyway just to rule it out.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Further to my reply #3, it sounds like there is little oil reaching the hydraulic valve lifters. If so, they do sound like a bucket of bolts and misfiring will occur due to incorrect valve timing and as a result too.

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
@Phil - According to the salesman all the i30 1.8 Executives on the floor has the same problem, it seems to be a factory fault. Each and every one has the whining sound right after ignition and all of them have this clattering sound when the car is ideling which varies between a propper knock knock to a softer tapping sound which is why they replaced the tapped cover and some gaskets.

The one guy gently reved the one i30 which had like 30miles on the clock and it also rattled like a 'bucket of bolts' as you gently reved it above 1500rpm. Theres a joke running around that the wining sound in the i30 might be a hidden nuke in its engine.

Im not even a mechanic and I told them that the car is running on the wrong oil but they said that it had nothing to do with the oil, obviously if the oil is to thick per say it would rattle because the oil struggles to lubricate the engine parts, if they used a thinner synthetic oil like Prolong it would run better, thats just my honoust opinion. I made a recording of the sound and they send it to HyundaiSA HQ in Johannesburg, there mechanics listened to the sound recording and send it to Korea. The Hyundai guys in Korea was baffled by the whining sound and they gave the orders to replace the tappet cover and gasket. Now all the mechanics are guessing that it might be the rocker assembly that might be faulty. The one guy told me that the valve clearance wasnt set right and that there was a fault with the VVT, I wouldnt know. Oh and I drove the demo model, mine is brand new and ive been driving it normal and slow.

@Keith_h - You bet it doesnt sound right, if you gently push the revs above 1500rpm it has this slight puffy sound and the car like has this vibration to it. The other day the car wouldnt even start, I had to try it 4 or more times before it eventualy roared to life all puffy, I was sure I didnt flood it because I kept my foot off the accelerator pedal. Drove it around the block and all of a sudden it was fine again.

Ok, the guys told me to bring the car as soon as the new rocker assembly parts arrived, hopefully this would fix everything. Luckily for me this isnt costing me money as I barely have 3000 miles on and still under warenty and they are more than keen to work on my car to find the problems as it seems to be a widespread fault in the i30s. Strangely enough this only affects the 2013 1.8 i30, the 1.6 i30 and the Veloster 1.6 GDI and 1.8 Turbo runs so smooth you barely hear the engine.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Oh and did I forget to mention that because of this engine problem its as heavy as a V8, barely manage 9.5l/100kms on the combined cycle and petrol in South Africa runs at $1.50 (R13.50) per litre so thats of concern too. Whats your views on the heavy fuel consumption ? I only do about 120kmh on the highways and at that speed its supposed to do 6.2l/100kms.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Other then all the engine problems its a damn fine car, still miss the RDS as I have to constantly take my eyes of the road to change the frequency but im getting used to it. Another slight problem I have is the jumpy back suspension, when I drive over a bump in the road the car goes all over  and I have to act fast to keep it straight. Hyundai has to work on their floaty suspension. Got rid of the crappy Hancock tires and had it fitted with proper Michelin tires, ts way better for nice grippy handling and performance. Did you guys keep the showroom floor tires on your car and if you changed it, what did you put on ?
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for your reply, it is quite comprehensive. The fuel consumption would be very poor if the valves are not working correctly. For the engine to be efficient, everything has to happen when it is supposed to happen and clearly this is not the case. Unburnt fuel is probably being expelled due to open valves and that fuel which does burn, probably can't escape the engine due to improper valve opening clearance and dwell angle. I note your statement about the other varieties of engines and you could be correct, it could be a manufacturing fault, if so, this is a very rare occurrence. Hyundai build very good engines normally.

Any chance of posting the sound recording  :question:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hey, ive had my Hyundai i30 1.8 GLS for 3 months now and already im having engine troubles ! My car has this weird wining sound when I start it up in the morning, goes on for 10 or more seconds

Are you saying goodbye to the wife at the time and do you drive off after ten seconds or more?  :undecided:
Just a thought.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Could it be the timing chain.. :question:

If the chain is not ok or the tensioner is not ok, then the engine will not work properly.

As Phil says; the fuel consumption will not be ok before the engine runs normally.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Something else ive noticed, the alternator has this weird knocking sound when it idles. I asked the guys what it could be and they told me the car isnt belt driven it has a chain. Thats all I heard ! Would that now be for the alternator or for the fanbelt or as Asterix said for the timing chain.

Really guys, I have brand new car with roughly 3500miles on and ive already had the tapped cover and the gaskets replaced, must mention that it has way better pulling power since they replaced those parts.

The F1 car (or nuclear bomb starting up) like wining has dissapeared after they changed the tappets and gaskets but still the irritating clattering and 'bolts in a bucket' sound remains.

Will keep you guys up to date on whats happening. Will try and see if I could get that sound uploaded but do beware, it IS disturbing !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
@Phil - The sound recording is way to big to post on here, almost 1MB and it allows 50KB sound postings on here so if anyone of you guys want to hear the sound recording of my sickly car please send me an email to georgepietersen@yahoo.com and I will try and reply with the sound recording !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Is the 1.8 motor vastly different to my 1.6? I have no complaints at all about the motor fitted to my car, it's quiet, smooth and has enough grunt,  I'd be so disappointed if I had anything like those issues with my old FD.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Something else ive noticed, the alternator has this weird knocking sound when it idles. I asked the guys what it could be and they told me the car isnt belt driven it has a chain. Thats all I heard ! Would that now be for the alternator or for the fanbelt or as Asterix said for the timing chain.

Really guys, I have brand new car with roughly 3500miles on and ive already had the tapped cover and the gaskets replaced, must mention that it has way better pulling power since they replaced those parts.

The F1 car (or nuclear bomb starting up) like wining has dissapeared after they changed the tappets and gaskets but still the irritating clattering and 'bolts in a bucket' sound remains.

Will keep you guys up to date on whats happening. Will try and see if I could get that sound uploaded but do beware, it IS disturbing !

The timing chain is to drive the cam shafts.

The alternator is driven by a multirip belt. That belt itself can't make a knocking sound.

There's no fanbelt either. As the engine is fitted across the car and not lengthwise, the fan is electric.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Ok, thanx, that helps a lot. As for the knocking noise, I also found a thread on here relating to the knocking sound you hear from the engine bay. I first said that I thought that the sound came from the alternator but now it seems that the knocking sound comes from what they call a FLUID engine mount, why its knocking I wouldnt know, maybe its the little i30 gremlin knocking to let us know that he wants out  :rofl:

They better fix my car now and fix it fast, all the problems im having is driving me up the walls. A spluttering smoking brand new car that fails to start after youve tried 5 times, eventualy starts in a smokey haze, (the oil and everything is fine) having an eary weird whining sound, then clattering like it has a million miles on, misfires when you push the revs past 2500rpm and starts shuddering, sound coming from the engine like a bucket full of nails vibrating up and down in the engine. Swaying and rocking suspension every time you hit a bump in the road. Dear lord, what did I buy  :rolleyes:
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I think all of your problem is because of the same error, well, except for the suspension, of course. :D

The fluid is just a engine mount with some fluid, oil of some sort, I think. These kind of engine mounts should dampen the vibrations from the engine better than the old rubber-type engine mounts.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Perhaps the dealer is confused because he can still hear the sound of rattling and whining after you switch the engine off................... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Perhaps the dealer is confused because he can still hear the sound of rattling and whining after you switch the engine off................... :whistler:

I could never be so subtle! I think a new VW would fix all those problems (for us anyway) Must be a real one-off IMO regardless of how many others do this is implied...

ouri30
KARMA!   :whistler:

I reckon the little i30's a "rip snorter". He could try "flicking it on" I suppose, but from the sound of it, it might not be "worth a brass razoo". 

Its not a good idea to "get ropeable" or carry on like a "cut snake" in today's world.  No good "chucking a wobbly!"

I "bet London to a brick" there's "a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock", but then again, when  "a galah squawks" and looks in the mirror it might only see "figjam" in the reflection.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
KARMA!   :whistler:

I reckon the little i30's a "rip snorter". He could try "flicking it on" I suppose, but from the sound of it, it might not be "worth a brass razoo". 

Its not a good idea to "get ropeable" or carry on like a "cut snake" in today's world.  No good "chucking a wobbly!"

I "bet London to a brick" there's "a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock", but then again, when  "a galah squawks" and looks in the mirror it might only see "figjam" in the reflection.

Google translate failed miserably with that one....................I only speak English and Profane... :Dunno:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
AlanHo - Try this one for good measure. Ek het net mooi niks verstaan wat daadie Australianer nou net sopas gese het nie, ek skinner nou lekker van julle klomp en eks seker julle verstaan nie 'n enkele woord wat ek se nie !

Ek is nie te gelukkig met my skedonk van 'n i30 nie, die engine raas en ekt baie probleme met die kar ! Hoop hulle kan dit so gou as moontlik regmaak !

Touche my friends, that'l keep you busy for a while !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I understand just nothing that Australian carried just recently said, I Skinner nice of you lot and ex sure you understand a single word I say!

I'm not happy with my skedonk a i30, the engine noise and ECT many problems with the car! Hope they can fix it as soon as possible!

Google Translate.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We are a friendly bunch actually, we know you aren't happy with your car, but as a forum, all we can do is suggest options for you. Sorry if your personality and ours clash. AFAIC I just deal with what you tell me. :Dunno:

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Wow, Google Translate is working overtime today ! That was 92% translated correctly ! Perhaps 'skinner' could be translated as gossiping !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well said Interphase :goodjob:

That WAS an i30 I think  :Shocked:

They reported Banging and Clattering from the front as well  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
By George, you're right.  :lol:
I wonder if the trunk was damaged?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal