i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 2008 1.4 petrol - sometimes at startup it will start and then die

Offline Nikola203

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
Hello,

I have Hyundai i30 2008 1.4 petrol with 247 000km on the clock.
The problem I have is that sometimes the car starts and then immediately dies unless I press the accelerator pedal a few times in which case the car does not die and starts working properly.

I did not manage to find any pattern. For example, the car was sitting for 7 days and then it started without any problems. The other time I was driving on a highway for an hour and then stopped to get some fuel and when I tried to start it again after refueling it died. Then I tried again by pressing the acceleration pedal and it started and continued driving without problems for another 200 kilometers. Idle sounds as it should and driving works completely normal and I already traveled more than 1000km. Also, when I turn the key into the ignition mode I can hear the humming sound (I assume it is a fuel pump) normally as when the problem was not there.  I changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter and it still happens. My mechanic did a diagnostic, but there were no codes (just some regarding SRS) and he did not know what to tell me. Any ideas about what could be the problem?

Thank you.
  • Hyundai i30 2008

Offline Wolvreen

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Uk, Milton Keynes
On my 1.6 automatic I had a crankshaft sensor that failed.  It sounds the same as yours, lumpy start.  Cut out on idle.  I think there was an alarm on the obd though.  Cost me 150 gbp to fix.
  • i30 comfort petrol automatic 1.6

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal