i30 Owners Club

Vibration when idling

Offline trimmtrabb

• 2nd Gear

• my Malaysia
      Kuala Lumpur

• Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur
Hi all....I am from Malaysia and my 1060km 1.6 (A) petrol is vibration when the engine is idling no matter the transmission is in "N" or "D". Actually it feels worse in "N" rather than "D" which is weird. I can feel the vibration through the undercarriage and seats. It is truly annoying during traffic jams...

The service centre told me that this is normal and nothing they can do about this. They did use the diagnostic tools to check for error.

I can see the engine vibration when i open the bonnet especially around the engine mount corner. I can't see the lower engine mounts though. I understand that i30 is using hydraulic engine mounts and they are supposed to do a better job in minimizing the engine vibration than the normal rubber mounts. Could it be the engine mounts or something else?

Really appreciates if somebody can share some opinions....thanks :)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
When idling, on my i30 I can feel a very minor vibration and hear a low rumbling from the engine. They're both very minor and I would only really notice it if I am focused on it.

I would suggest going back to the dealer and ask to sit in a similar i30 with the engine on.  If the vibration is less than on your car, then I would definitely have the dealer resolve the problem.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Trimmtrabb....Sorry to hear about your problem I have only had a little drive in a petrol auto ( I'm a Diesel manual man...) Doesn't sound right.. tla's suggestion is a good one... :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There is a TSB to add a pad to Auto gearbox mass damper cable on some cars to reduce some vibration noise. Might not be relevant, but If you google "HFE08-52-P170-HDFD" you might find a copy of the document.

Offline trimmtrabb

• 2nd Gear

• my Malaysia
      Kuala Lumpur

• Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur
Thanks all for the help... :razz:

i30 is actually very rare in Malaysia, not many dealers are keeping them. In this case, I need to find a dealer who has another unit of i30 to let me test the engine smoothness....

currently I'm using RON95 fuel...but I doubt this is the reason for the vibration. Anyway, I'll try out RON97 fuel for my next fill to see the difference....

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal