i30 Owners Club

What type of oil i should use?

Offline atabayat

• 1st Gear

• Dusseldorf
Hello everyone,

I have Hyundai i30 2008/ 1.4FD hatchback / 80kw, 109
I bought the car newly and i want to change the oil and i dont know which oil would be good for it since the motor is eating the oil. the car has 173.000KM on it and when i bought it in last 4 month ago, the oil was full but after 6.000KM i checked and it didnt have any like 0 oil on it and i filled an other 1Liter to check and after 1500KM again the oil is below Low so i was wondering maybe i need to find a good oil which can last.  BTW the motor doesnt have oil leakage since i check under the car every day and there is no sign of oil leaking.

Can you please suggest a good oil with reasonable price? does if have to be 5w-30 or 5w-40? Synthesise or other type? A3?

Thanks
  • Hyundai i30/ 1.4 FD/ 80KW, 109

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
I would top it up with SeaFoam or other engine cleaner to dissolve any carbon build up and after 2-300 kms drive, change the oil. Go with same viscosity as recommended for the car, nut use high mileage synthetic. Monitor for any loss.
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ atabayat.  In addition to what endeavour has suggested, I would get the engine (a) compression tested and (b) oil pressure tested.  This may give you (and your mechanic if you cannot do the tests yourself) some useful data on the overall health of the engine. 

Does the oil warning light on your dash display come on (and go out when you add oil)?

Do you know if the engine is blowing (bluish) smoke?

Have you noticed any decline or loss in engine performance?

If I have interpreted your post correctly, your engine used about 1 litre in 1500km?  That seems way too high and is not good for the engine. 

My fading memory bank recalls a rule-of-thumb for 'normal' (acceptable) engine oil consumption of 1 litre per 5000km.  But that was for older cars.  Maybe today's newer high-tech engines are different.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd expect plumes of smoke out the back if it were loosing oil at that rate, and a strong burning oil smell along with it which would indicated the rings are worn.

As TerryT mentioned a compression test would identify any issues in that area.

In saying that, a thicker oil would last a little longer, if you've been using 5W-30 then a 5W-40 would be slightly thicker at operating temperatures though depending on how worn the rings are it might not make much difference :undecided:

Offline atabayat

• 1st Gear

• Dusseldorf
Thank you for the replies.
Actually there is no smoke of any kind coming from car nor no smell at all from motor ( any burning smell) and even the mechanic checked but i will ask him to check for the advices you mentioned and hope the best that motor doesnt have any problem.

I talked with Hyundai today regarding what type of oil i should use and they mentioned API service with SJ or SL above. I dont have any idea what is that so if you have any information regarding that, i would appreciate it.

Offline atabayat

• 1st Gear

• Dusseldorf

And do you think this oil would be okay for Hyundai i30 2008/ 1.4FD/ 80KW,109 ? since Hyundai told me API service with SL/SJ so i didnt really understand what are they but i found this on the internet. It seems not famous oil but it has what they suggest.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What you've pictured should be suitable, ester based oil would be quite expensive though.

Do you have Shell oils available where you are, I can highly recommend the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 if you're looking at staying with that viscosity :link: Shell Helix Ultra X 5W-30 | Shell Australia

Shell Helix HX8 is also suitable and a little cheaper :link: Shell Helix HX8 X 5W-30 | Shell Australia
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 09:41:27 by CraigB »

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Just saw you are in Germany.  I would get a Motul oil all day.
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ atabayat.  Hopefully I have summarised your posts correctly as I try to make sense of the problem:

(a)  when you bought the car (secondhand) about 4 months ago, you checked the engine oil level and it was ok.
(b)  6000 km later you checked the oil level and "it didn't have any oil on it" (presumably the dipstick).
(c)  you added 1L of oil and after 1500km the oil level was showing below Low.
(d)  you have checked daily under the engine and there is no sign of any oil leakage.
(e)  there is no smoke of any kind coming out of the exhaust.
(f)  there is no smell at all from the engine (e.g. burning oil smell).
(g)  your mechanic had a quick check, but he didn't have an answer?

Okay, I'm stumped because it just doesn't compute. 

If it was my car, I'd be going all diagnostic ballistic: lift the car, remove any undertrays and thoroughly check for leaks (to be sure), then do a battery of every diagnostic test I could think e.g. scan the engine, do a compression test/vacuum gauge test/leak down test/oil pressure test (yes, tech guys, I know some of those are redundant testing (:)).  I would do that because I have the time and necessary tools and a friend who knows how to use all of them (embarrassingly, I don't).     

Just clutching at straws here but there are reasons for asking these questions:
1. When you added the 1L of oil, where did that register on the dipstick e.g. in the middle between the Low and High mark, or where? 
2. Was the engine 'hot' or 'cold' when you took these levels? 
3. Have you checked the radiator coolant?  Does it smell oily?
4. If your car has a radiator overflow bottle, is the level high?
5. Have you felt any decline in engine performance since you bought the car?

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I have Hyundai i30 2008/ 1.4FD hatchback / 80kw, 109
I bought the car newly and i want to change the oil and i dont know which oil would be good for it since the motor is eating the oil. the car has 173.000KM on it and when i bought it in last 4 month ago, the oil was full but after 6.000KM i checked and it didnt have any like 0 oil on it and i filled an other 1Liter to check and after 1500KM again the oil is below Low so i was wondering maybe i need to find a good oil which can last. 

BTW the motor doesnt have oil leakage since i check under the car every day and there is no sign of oil leaking.

Can you please suggest a good oil with reasonable price? does if have to be 5w-30 or 5w-40? Synthesise or other type? A3?
Thanks

@ atabayat.  Were any of the forum members' posts helpful?  Did you identify what the problem of the 'disappearing' oil was?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal