i30 Owners Club

FAO of members with Auto Transmission

eye30 · 74 · 26194

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Hi Guys.....Long time no see!!!! Sorry about my absence...I have missed the forum and all my mates......just been overwhelmed with "stuff" that has required my attention and so, something had to give... :'(.

For some reason this discussion, being a thread that I was involved in, sent me a prompt re further discussion, so ....here I am, hopefully a good thing, getting me back into the fold, even if it is 5am now... :wacko:

We still have our CW and like Beerman  we are also on 111K.

Our warranty runs out in Nov...so I am very conscious of this "auto Issue" and today will take Elle B to the Dr for a check up....maybe a shiny ring gear is also needed.... :happydance:

We have had instances of the " slipping clutch" feeling, especially at speed on a freeway and up hills, ( Like that is everyday to get to our place). The wife seems to be the main one that "senses" it, as she drives it 90 % of the time...but I have definitely experienced it on the freeway to Newcastle.

So, today I will go and play dumb, throw in the reversing lag, which we have at times experienced and see what response I get. If push needs to turn to shove, then I can start to talk about the experiences of the forum members , valve issues, rhubarb rhubarb. It seems that our issues are not as obvious as some others that have contributed to this thread of late, but...if the "ring gear" needs work, then it would be my luck for it to happen just out of warranty, something that I can ill afford.. :faint:

I will keep you posted....always open to any " negotiating tips"..... :winker:

Again, I feel good to be back in touch....If anyone had sent any PM's to me, apologies....this is the first time that I have logged on in ......seems decades..... :-[

Cheers.....and hi to Dazz, Rusty..... :goodjob2:   Tony
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The main objective is to get your problem on record before the warranty expires. Might as well try for a replacement now, if you can. Welcome back.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The main objective is to get your problem on record before the warranty expires. Might as well try for a replacement now, if you can. Welcome back.
:whsaid: :welcomeback:

Spooky, something reminded me of you today Tony.. but only just found your post from last week as I got behind while away on Holidays!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AppleDave

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi guys,

I made an account just to comment on this topic. It's been a helpful read, only wish I'd googled it before I (almost) had my issue resolved!

I bought my wife a 2010 i30 CW 2.0L Sportswagon about two years ago with 28K on the clock. Got it serviced after a couple of months at 31k and all was good. The wife fell in love with the car and I have to say it's been ideal for us as a family car. As it approached 40k we were getting flashes of the ESP light and some ominous noises from the rear passenger wheel. We booked the 45k service at 41k and our local dealership in Werribee were on the ball. They ordered the parts in for the ESP and a new bearing for the noisy wheel no questions asked, sent a letter when they arrived and fixed the issues as soon as it was convenient for us. They also signed us up for 12 months Hyundai roadside assist which was an unexpected bonus  :cool:

Another few thousand kms of smooth driving follow before I gradually notice the car feeling less responsive going up through the gears. Then we began to get occasional shudders/jumps between gear changes. Last week we brought it in early for service and inspection at 54k instead of 60k. Credit to Werribee Hyundai again, the were already aware it was a known issue and ordered in  the parts and got us in asap again.

So we dropped it in this morning to their new premises. I had an ADO today so was able to bring my wife back from the garage as they had no loan cars available. I dropped her back about four hours later and she said it felt so much better to drive again. Excited by this I took it for a spin. Backing out of the garage I immediately noticed I had to give quite a bit of gas to get it going, I actually checked to see if I'd left the handbrake on! Anyway, I took off on a spin and was quickly impressed with how smooth it was going. Took it through the gears and the changes were so smooth they were almost unnoticeable. However when I tried to reverse it into the garage again I was having difficulty, needing nearly 4000rpm before it started moving. We rang the service centre and they said come straight back in.

My wife dropped it in as she needed to get a loan car from them for tomorrow. All they could muster was an '05 Kia Rio which cut out twice on her on the way home ( she's 7 months pregnant and got a spray from some uncouth gentlemen that got stuck behind her. And according to Google, cutting out at lights/when stopped is a known issue for Rios). When she got it home it pissed oil in our garage so I've had to leave it outside for the night.

It's all left me unsure if I'd want to buy another Hyundai. Don't get me wrong, we love the car.  We'd talked about eventually trading it in for an ix35 7, or even a sante fe if I could get the right deal. And the service from Werribee has been excellent (until the evil Rio incident). But having to have three separate issues fixed under warranty in two years, on a four year old car, has curbed our enthusiasm somewhat.

Hopefully they can find a car my wife feels safe to drive in tomorrow and our own one comes back in working order.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:29:15 by AppleDave »
  • 2010 i30 Sportswagon

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Has the dealer really been excellent? They don't appear to have fixed the problem.....I would be speaking to the DP about their inability to fix the transmission. It really should have been a one go fix, and you experiencing issues on the drive home, shows a lack of testing.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Appledave (I thought you might have been from Tassie to start with)  :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear of your woes. Been mainly the Diesel giving problems with the auto up to now (I blame the extra torque)

You have been unlucky (we are on our 3rd Manual i30 in 6 years) all have been excellent and ultra relaible  :Knock:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
We have 2 Diesel autos, both in excellent shape.  :happydance: :Touch:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
118,000km and climbing here....

Offline AppleDave

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yeah I think they have been excellent to deal with from a customer service point, my gripe is with the service department and the fact we've needed to use the warranty so much. Turns out the first replacement part the fitted was faulty, hence the reversing issues. They've ordered a new one in so hopefully that goes better. The silver lining is that they've given us a brand new i30 until it's sorted.
  • 2010 i30 Sportswagon

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Are we talking full transmission or valve body?

How's the new i30?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
What's an FAO? :-[
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England