i30 Owners Club

Problem with the GPS in the new GD

jimmy_s · 147 · 60679

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
I have logged a call directly with Hyundai, they said they would get back to me next week. I will keep you posted.

Jim.
look forward to your updates Jim, are u able to disable the school crossings and others all together so they dont appear, cheers

Checked this, disabled ped crossing, and the screen is still full of crossing signs.
Thanks for that Jim, another thing to let Hyundai know about, will speak with my dealer, then to Hyundai if no joy, as disable means disable when I went to school.

Cheers
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Checked last night with the same outcome, but if you turn the alerts off all together they all do disappear. Strengthens the argument that disabling individual alerts should also remove then from the map? 👍
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:28:52 by Stikman »

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
Checked last might with the same outcome, but if you turn the alerts off all together they all do disappear. Strengthens the argument that disabling individual alerts should also remove then from the map?
It appears it is all or none with the warnings  :'(, that makes no sense at all. Also my clock stays stuck for anything up to 30 minutes on the same time :mad:, thats how long before I lost patience and turned off the map and on again, also its position changes, all depends on what part of the media you are in, radio, map, phone. :undecided:
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Checked last might with the same outcome, but if you turn the alerts off all together they all do disappear. Strengthens the argument that disabling individual alerts should also remove then from the map?
It appears it is all or none with the warnings  :'(, that makes no sense at all. Also my clock stays stuck for anything up to 30 minutes on the same time :mad:, thats how long before I lost patience and turned off the map and on again, also its position changes, all depends on what part of the media you are in, radio, map, phone. :undecided:

My clock starts an hour late each time the car is turned on and then updates to the correct time, normally within 5mins. I suspect that the clock is based on the GPS time and asked the dealer to change the default time to Qld but they had no idea how to do this....😳 I have emailed the service manager and Hyundai as I was not impressed with that response but have not heard back from either 😒 this along with the system freezing in some screens, traffic updates not working, volume adjustment glitch, old maps, voice files having no street names etc etc, I think a few of us need to send Hyundai an email listing all these concerns requesting an update to the software...

Offline jimmy_s

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

My clock starts an hour late each time the car is turned on and then updates to the correct time, normally within 5mins. I suspect that the clock is based on the GPS time and asked the dealer to change the default time to Qld but they had no idea how to do this.... I have emailed the service manager and Hyundai as I was not impressed with that response but have not heard back from either  this along with the system freezing in some screens, traffic updates not working, volume adjustment glitch, old maps, voice files having no street names etc etc, I think a few of us need to send Hyundai an email listing all these concerns requesting an update to the software...

Quick note, Hyundai got back to me (phone message), yes all you get is beeps for warnings.

When I am back i town I need to write a long letter as to the vaule of a beep that covers evertything from black spots to ped crossings to Speed camera. That you have to look at the screen to see what is what. Pretty poor, prehaps we send a class letter from members of this forum.

Jim.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Jimmy,

I reckon individual emails from half a dozen (or more) of our members might have more impact that a joint one .. If you compare notes and are on the same page though that might help and refer to this site and thread by all means  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW

My clock starts an hour late each time the car is turned on and then updates to the correct time, normally within 5mins. I suspect that the clock is based on the GPS time and asked the dealer to change the default time to Qld but they had no idea how to do this.... I have emailed the service manager and Hyundai as I was not impressed with that response but have not heard back from either  this along with the system freezing in some screens, traffic updates not working, volume adjustment glitch, old maps, voice files having no street names etc etc, I think a few of us need to send Hyundai an email listing all these concerns requesting an update to the software...

Quick note, Hyundai got back to me (phone message), yes all you get is beeps for warnings.

When I am back i town I need to write a long letter as to the vaule of a beep that covers evertything from black spots to ped crossings to Speed camera. That you have to look at the screen to see what is what. Pretty poor, prehaps we send a class letter from members of this forum.

Jim.

Hi Jim and all others with GPS issues, if everyone puts down the problem/fault/issue I am happy to colate it all onto one post, this can then be cut and pasted into your own email and sent to both your dealer and Hyundai, even though this will be a generic email, they will get more than one. (if that is ok with the moderators)
Does anyone know if the i40 (i think has the same GPS) has the same issues as the i30???? Even my wife (the one who must be obeyed), who is not car savvy or even interested said the old Aldi GPS is much better.
On another note that I have a response on the tow bar for the GD, could someone advise where I should post this, as am trying to put things in the correct forum/thread

Cheers
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Whatever works best for you guys :goodjob: You have our full support  :winker:

Offline brodie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
happy to support this, mine does all of the above that everyone has mentioned...had a feeling this was software related and assume in future updates this would be fixed..

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
Hi all, I just emailed Hyundai Customer service (Australia) the following. Some is my own personal view, (I noted this in my email). If I should not have mentioned this forum please advise me and I will retract it from Hyundai Australia.

I took delivery of my i30 Premium (GD) mid Jul 2012. Overall I am pleased with the vehicle as far as handling and driveability. My area of concern and great disappointment is with the Media/Map/Bluetooth configuration. I will detail my concerns in point:

Map/GPS 1. No spoken street names 2. No spoken warning’s, only beeps, unable to disable individual warnings, all or none it appears. To see what actual warning it is that is “beeping”, you need to look at the screen, which is very “busy” with other visual warnings. 3. Am already getting a message on my screen that says my map is out dated. So basically one of my “Mapcare” updates is used within a month or two of taking delivery of the car.

GPS Clock:
1.The clock often is not keeping correct time, you need to either turn the whole system off or change what part of the media system you are in, this seems to reconfigure the clock, this should not be required.

The above points are also noted by other members of the “i30 Owners Club” a web based forum where owners share both good and bad points on the i30 of all year models.

Is Hyundai Customer Care able to comment if any of the above will be considered in a software upgrade in the future. As stated above I am dismayed at how a GPS system in a 30k plus vehicle can be far inferior to an off the shelf GPS system bought from a supermarket.

The below point is a personal observation that I have not heard any other owner speak of.

Bluetooth: Phone Bluetooth is not voice controlled; this is not a fault, but a poor omission on Hyundai’s part given the standard of the vehicle. I do not consider having to take my vision off the road to make a call being a real hands free system. This is my error by not making myself educated in how the phone settings where when purchasing the vehicle, but a point I feel Hyundai should take notice of, as vehicle’s well below the price range and appointment level have as standard.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very good Marty... and I can't see a problem with mentioning us   :goodjob2: :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
As you may recall from my first test of the new i30 in February, I had reservations about the sat-nav and decided to stick with my trusty Garmin Nuvi.

I really don't understand why so many glitches manage to remain unnoticed during the development of a new or updated model. It isn't just Hyundai - it's all manufacturers.  You read about new models being taken for exhaustive tests in all sorts of exotic places but for some reason the test drivers fail to notice them.

Hyundai somehow managed to launch the new i30 Style model in the UK with totally useless front parking sensors and a sat-nav that's not as good as some £100 models from Garmin, Tom Tom and others. On my model the trip instant economy meter is limited to 50 mpg - plain stupidity because the average economy is much higher than this - let alone the peak.
My neighbour has just bought his wife a new i10 - partly because my wife is so delighted with hers and the "girls" had a chat. The neighbour's car car is plagued with throttle lag which is apparently a common fault with the 2012 model - my wife's 2010 car is fine. Every month an ECU patch to cure the fault is promised by the dealer - but 4 months on it is yet to materialise.  My betting is that they went too far in modulating the throttle response to get the best government economy figures.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very true Alan and very frustrating  :undecided:

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
I seem to have found another bug. When setting the map to auto colours (dark at night, light during the day) instead of being auto changing, it just stays as the night map.

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite

My clock starts an hour late each time the car is turned on and then updates to the correct time, normally within 5mins. I suspect that the clock is based on the GPS time and asked the dealer to change the default time to Qld but they had no idea how to do this....😳

Have you tried manually setting the timezone as opposed to "auto setting" the clock?
It's this screen (Menu->More-> Settings->Regional->Time Zone)
The screen looks like this:

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

My clock starts an hour late each time the car is turned on and then updates to the correct time, normally within 5mins. I suspect that the clock is based on the GPS time and asked the dealer to change the default time to Qld but they had no idea how to do this....😳

Have you tried manually setting the timezone as opposed to "auto setting" the clock?
It's this screen (Menu->More-> Settings->Regional->Time Zone)
The screen looks like this:

I have been in that screen but cannot remember if I changed it. I will have a look and report back on the weekend when back home.

Thanks for the suggestion 👍

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
have you all seen http://www.hyundainav.com/ ? looks as though it's a website where Hyundai will release updates for their mapping software. selecting Australia doesn't populate anything just yet though.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The i30 is not included in Europe. (The UK is not listed separately)
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
yep, i didn't see i30 listed in there anywhere, but I would imagine that is where they will have their software updates available.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Seems very sparse at the moment, bit odd that selecting Brazil gives more model options than Europe :undecided:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Seems very sparse at the moment, bit odd that selecting Brazil gives more model options than Europe :undecided:

Yeah, Brazilian usually = less not more  :D

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
I see what you did there...

If you choose any old car it let's you download. PDF instructions, you'll see you update it by downloading your files, chucking then on a USB drive and plugging it into the aux port. Looks pretty straight forward.

Offline jimmy_s

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Here is something else I have sumbled upon, which is very frustrating . . .

I programmed my VoiceMail retrive number in to the prestored numbers, great idea I thought, BUT when I dialled it the first time it struck me, no number pad access during a call, that's right forget getting through the IVR on any businesses you dial or voice mail systems.

Bugger!!!!

Offline Wendee16

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      SE Qld

Jim.

Hi Jimmy I just picked up my new GD Elite CRDI yesterday and wondered what the beep noises were for? Now I know.

• i30 Elite 1.6 CRDI GD 5d Hatchback DTFI 1582

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
Been a week since I wrote to Hyundai AU about a number of points, not even a courtesy reply saying they are looking into it. Not impressed
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Been a week since I wrote to Hyundai AU about a number of points, not even a courtesy reply saying they are looking into it. Not impressed

That's a bit of a surprise  :undecided:  we need to bombard them with valid complaints about the GPS from multiple new owners .. I guess they maybe running a few things past head office  :whistler:

Offline jimmy_s

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

That's a bit of a surprise  :undecided:  we need to bombard them with valid complaints about the GPS from multiple new owners .. I guess they maybe running a few things past head office  :whistler:

Good idea, what email address did you send it to?

BTW I just recived a Sales and Delivery Evaluation Survey, this might be a great opportunity to raise this, did anyone else get this?

Jim.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
This forum is so big now and worldwide that they would have to listen to genuine, reasonable, multiple requests, although it does take time to implement change when talking large multi-nationals.

• Tertius the i30

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW

Good idea, what email address did you send it to?

BTW I just recived a Sales and Delivery Evaluation Survey, this might be a great opportunity to raise this, did anyone else get this?

Jim.

This forum is so big now and worldwide that they would have to listen to genuine, reasonable, multiple requests, although it does take time to implement change when talking large multi-nationals.
Sent it to the customer care email http://www.hyundai.com.au/contact-us
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal