i30 Owners Club

Petrol cap not opening

Nessa · 77 · 43330

Offline Nessa

• 2nd Gear
Hi all...
Just wondering if anyone is having issues with their petrol cap not opening? I've had to take it back to Hyundai twice already to get it fixed, and it is still not opening after the first try. I click the lever several times and it eventually opens but it is annoying and embarassing at petrol stations when I go to fill up. I will keep taking it back until the problem is rectified, but was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same problems??? The guy at Hyundai said it was the first i30 he had seen with this problem (at that particular service location). Anyhow this is getting very frustrating...I just want it fixed! :(

Any help/suggestions?? Would be much appreciated...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Nessa..

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your filler... :'(

Have you got another dealer nearby that you can try... :cool:

I haven't heard of that problem mentioned on the site b4...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I haven't heard of this before either.

When it does eventually open does the flap feel spring-loaded, ie does it put up some resistance when you try to close it again? If you lift the lever can someone else outside the car pull the flap open? If not, it would suggest the cable reach is a fraction too long, or the release lever isn't rising high enough.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Nessa

• 2nd Gear
Well..the cap opens but not all the way so when i pull the lever, someone can open the cap by flicking it open. The first time I took it back, they ordered a new part and changed it - i think it is the wire that connects from the lever to the cap to open it. Then it the problem persisted, so I took it back again and they tightened this wire , not sure why...but apparently at the service centre, the petrol cap opened. I'm really not happy with the service I've gotten from Hyundai- they took 6 weeks to order in a tiny part and never even notifed me what was happened...Can I try a different dealer?? There is another one closer to me.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Again Ness,

You can use another dealer that is closer (shouldn't be a problem)

If they have any sense they will see you as a potential new service customer and should be helpful...

Offline Nessa

• 2nd Gear
Hmm...Well I already have a particular place where I've always had my cars serviced, that is not a hyundai service..but I suppose I could give it a go...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmm...Well I already have a particular place where I've always had my cars serviced, that is not a hyundai service..but I suppose I could give it a go...

Ness I wasn't saying you have to get your car serviced there.. but they don't need to know that .. do they... :wink:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
So it does open, but the flap doesn't spring clear of the latch, hence it being closed when you go round to fill it up. I see now. To me, that's a spring thing which should be easy to sort out.

As for another dealer, if they're not Hyundai you might cause problems if they start fiddling.

Offline Nessa

• 2nd Gear
oh..I've only been taking it to Hyundai because it's covered under my warranty and they are the only ones who do it for free. I will keep taking it back until they fix it!!! Darn it!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry I misunderstood I thought you meant there was another Hyundai dealer near where you lived..  :-[

Offline Nessa

• 2nd Gear
Yeah I do have one closer to me that I might pop in and see. You were right Darryl!

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello,

Wow! I have the same problem lately! Yesterday it took me quite some time to open it. Usually I manage to open it then with my key - I put the key between the gap and pull the cap out. Yes it also seems to me that it is a spring thing, because it releases the cap, but it just wont "flip".

Now I know I'm not the only one.. Huh.. I have to tell my dealer about this  :wink:

And you know what I've noticed? If you close the cap gently and do not push it hard when closing - you close it just so you hear the click, then it opens without any problems.. As I mentioned..it probably is some spring thing, but don't know which.. Because everything seems to be working fine - beside the fact it doesn't want to open.. It kind of looks like it gets jammed somewhere, so the spring can't flip/push it..

I also filmed my fuel cap so I could see if we have the same problem :) :rolleyes:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good clip accim. Nessa, is that the same as you're experiencing?

Offline myi30sr

• 1st Gear
Hi all,

I have been having the same problem with the cap, I found that if I worked the cap against its spring back and forth and pushed in the tongue mechanism at the cap a few times it seems to have fixed the problem.

I think the main problem could be that there is not much tension in the spring to open the cap..

Hope this helps.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the info myi30sr, and welcome :) to the club

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Is this an Aussie thing? Has the really hot weather you had  'warped' the cap slightly.

Just a thought :D

Left hand drive cars will have shorter cable and different routing than right hand drive cars.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Left hand drive cars will have shorter cable and different routing than right hand drive cars.

Good job our Oz cousins have RHD like us then mate :P

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
sorry Nessa, i have not had that problem, mine must be spring loaded as i pull the leaver and the flap is wide open when i walk around left side of car.

Offline Nessa

• 2nd Gear
Hi all

Accim the video you posted- that was pretty much what I was experiencing. But I would take it to your dealer STRAIGHT AWAY and make sure they fix it (I had to take my in FOUR TIMES!) At the fourth time, the cap is finally working. I had to actually change the hyundai dealer though - the first dealer I bought my car at in Melville Hyundai off Leach Highway DO NOT GO THERE THEY ARE SHOCKING FOR SERVICE! John Hughes in Victoria Park is the best, they fixed my problem straight away and even had a car drop me off to work so I didn't have to take a taxi.

I'll keep you all updated, but my cap now seems to open on the first click.

Cheers!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi all

Accim the video you posted- that was pretty much what I was experiencing. But I would take it to your dealer STRAIGHT AWAY and make sure they fix it (I had to take my in FOUR TIMES!) At the fourth time, the cap is finally working. I had to actually change the hyundai dealer though - the first dealer I bought my car at in Melville Hyundai off Leach Highway DO NOT GO THERE THEY ARE SHOCKING FOR SERVICE! John Hughes in Victoria Park is the best, they fixed my problem straight away and even had a car drop me off to work so I didn't have to take a taxi.

I'll keep you all updated, but my cap now seems to open on the first click.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip Nessa.. glad you got sorted eventually...

Offline pumpo64

• 2nd Gear
I had this problem last week.  Got it fixed by the local dealership (Hylton, Shrewsbury) and it seems ok now.

Apparently they changed a spring.

I asked if it was a common problem and was told that they'd seen a few, but on another model, not the i30.

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
Found it. I knew I'd seen this thread in the past.  My fuel door has started exhibiting the same problem the last two times I have filled up, it unlatches when you pull the lever but it doesn't pop open.  I need to slip the key in the gap to open it.

Anyway, I took it for its 15k service yesterday and mentioned it to the dealer.  When I picked it up they said it was working fine and couldn't repeat the problem.  When I got it home the first thing I checked was the fuel filler door.  Guess what?  It doesn't flip open.   :rolleyes:

I'll have to look at it myself when I get time.  At least that way I'll know it has been fixed properly.  If you want anything doing properly you have to do it yourself nowadays.

Offline Duke750

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Buderim
And I thought it was me! Same problem, off and on. Very embarrassing at petrol stations. Haven't taken it back yet - I was waiting for a service.

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Yep happened to me too - got the spring fixed by dealer at last service.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
seems i'm having this issue as well now. except mine has a twist, the door opens by itself as well!  :eek:

so with the first part it doesn't open fully, but simply pulling the door by putting my pinky finger in the gap will pull the door out. then i close the cap and it seems to latch but a couple of days later i'll suddenly notice the cap is wide open, like i've forgotten to close it. doesn't always do it, but seems to be getting more frequent, noticed it was open again today.

• SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wow. Major problem.
Maybe Hyundai should announce a recall. :P
Sorry :wink:
Tongue in cheek.
Seriously I'm surprised how many actually have the problem.
This is a good example of how useful our club is. One person mentions a "minor" if frustrating problem and it turns out there are several others experiencing it.
Mine works OK ATM.

PS. Off topic. I just found out there is a switch between the two map lights which allows them to come on automatically when the door is opened. I knew they were turned on by pushing the actual light but must have bumped the switch sometime because all of a sudden I was being illuminated like Times Square when I opened the door.  :-[
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

PS. Off topic. I just found out there is a switch between the two map lights which allows them to come on automatically when the door is opened. I knew they were turned on by pushing the actual light but must have bumped the switch sometime because all of a sudden I was being illuminated like Times Square when I opened the door.  :-[

:eek:  :rolleyes: This is clearly highlighted on the switch, there is a picture of the car with doors open giving a subtle hint that the lights come on with the doors open, we call them courtesy lights :wink: :wink:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

:eek:  :rolleyes: This is clearly highlighted on the switch, there is a picture of the car with doors open giving a subtle hint that the lights come on with the doors open, we call them courtesy lights :wink: :wink:

Yeah! Yeah! :evil:
I didn't even see the switch. Seated in the car, I'm too close to focus on any little logo like that unles I put my reading glasses on. I'd stumbled on the fact that you turn them on by pushing the lens. And the dome light works like any other dome light so had no need to explore swithing options on the READING  :wink:lights.  :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Yup. ours started doing this today !!!!!
Looks like a stretched release cable...  but thats my guess......

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal