i30 Owners Club

Washer pump sounding but no water

Aughy · 15 · 11218

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Hi im new here. My 2012 I30 blue 1600 diesel washer pump has ceased pumping any water although I hear it operating. No water back or front. I saw some online articles about filters clogging with washing up liquid but cannot find any info on how to get at these to clean the gunk out if thats what it is.

Any pics or videos would be good
  • 2012 I30 Blue Active Diesel 1600

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Not a common issue. Not sure why it would happen in such a new car!

You should still have warranty (are you a long way from a dealer?) I would just get them to have a look at it..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
A similar thing happened last year with this car. The pump was only pushing water which did not have enough force to reach the windscreen. The dealer tried using an air pump and when I got the car back it was worse than when I left it with him. On return he had ordered the wrong part so I had to wait. The third occasion even though I had Hyundai insurance they were going to charge me for a courtesy car but he did fit the correct new pump. Thats the one which just ceased. If I can fix it myself without going through the fiasco I would prefer to do so.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A similar thing happened last year with this car. The pump was only pushing water which did not have enough force to reach the windscreen. The dealer tried using an air pump and when I got the car back it was worse than when I left it with him. On return he had ordered the wrong part so I had to wait. The third occasion even though I had Hyundai insurance they were going to charge me for a courtesy car but he did fit the correct new pump. Thats the one which just ceased. If I can fix it myself without going through the fiasco I would prefer to do so.

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I read diesel washer pump as diesel water pump. :-[ Yes, a few failures with washer pump usually fixed easily enough with a replacement. If you can hear it sounds like a pipe has come adrift?

I haven't had the issue but others that have or  our resident Tech should be able to steer you in the right direction!

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
You could start at the outlet pipe nearest to the tank, remove it and try the washers and see if any water comes out, if it does refit it and go to the next section of pipe and remove and try it and so on.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Do NOT use dishwashing detergent, it contains a wax substance and is not really compatible with screen washers. This is why screen washing detergents are manufactured. You could try a fine pin through the outlet holes to see if they are blocked.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I had this happen a couple of times, and it fixed itself....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Hi guys me again. I read somewhere about a similar problem and the owner recommended using boiling water and a syphon as he said it would loosen any gunk in the water reservoir.

I happened to have plenty of some nylon tubing so I cut about 6.5 feet of it and used it to siphon the water out of it. (It had to be long enough to reach the bottom of the reservoir plus reach below the ground for the siphon to work. I guess a piece of garden hose would work too but I was able to see the water as I sucked it up so as not to get boiling water in my mouth.

I then poured in the boiling water from the kettle and started blowing down the tube to agitate it. I left it a while to boil a second kettle of water and when I went back I siphoned the first kettle out of it. I could see several dark gunky bits rising in the flow of water.

Plus when I extracted the tube the bottom inches of it was covered in a slimy black gunk. I photoed this and will post it later. I kept repeating this until after the 3rd kettle the water was all clear. I then tested the washer and lo and behold I never seen it working as well back and front.

PROBLEM SOLVED :whistler: :whistler: :whistler: :whistler: :whistler: :whistler: :whistler:

Gunge on tube

Siphon Tube in place
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 16:37:46 by Aughy »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update and photos. Great result!

Do you use a commercial additive? Most have ammonia in them which I would expect to stop sludge multiplying?  :undecided:

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
No I in my ignorance just used whatever washing up liquid the wife bought at the supermarket. (Mostly fairy liquid) But NEVER again!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Excellent result.  :goodjob2:

I'd be a little careful about the boiling water, as the pump sits in a rubber washer I think and the rubber may not take too kindly to water at that temp. Hopefully you'll never have to do it again.

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
I had a mate who was a mechanic. He once managed to refuel a diesel fork lift truck by accidentally filling the hydraulic tank. You should have seen what that did to the rubber seals

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Expensive  :Shocked:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I had a mate who was a mechanic. He once managed to refuel a diesel fork lift truck by accidentally filling the hydraulic tank. You should have seen what that did to the rubber seals
Is this why he was a mechanic, emphasis on the past tense? :lol:

Glad you got your problem sorted :goodjob:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Hes still a mechanic but not working for the same garage!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal