i30 Owners Club

U2 1.6CRDi Engine arrives in some (european) i30 models

Lorian · 15 · 10278

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Since the end of July some i30 models destined for UK (and Norway I noticed, maybe others) are being manufactured in the Czech factory with the updated U2 diesel engine. I don't know which models get it yet though, eventually all will.

Thanks to an updated, higher pressure injection system (injecting up to 5 times per stroke) and a swirl system, power is up and emissions are down. The engine also has a few redesigned parts for reliability and reduced noise. It also has ultrasonic oil level sensor and the possibility of offering a 30,000Km/2 years service interval (if offered on the i30).

For all the technical details see:

http://www.hyundai.no/Hyundai_U2_diesel.html

The tech specs on the UK website are now showing both specifications. It should however be noted that although the new engine power increases to 128PS I'm gessing Hyundai will limit this to the existing 115PS, for now at least (as in the specs).

For 2010 cars they will only need to add a DPF to the european spec (as well as the existing Diesel Cat) to meet euro 5 emissions.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The link provides a great read. Thanks :)

I like the new Battery Management System and the description of Idle Stop/Go
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline andys101

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Canterbury, Kent, England.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

My i30 will be the u2 engine, it is due for delivery soon.....
Andy, Hi

How do you know, did you ask the dealer?
When's your delivery scheduled for?

I'll be very interested to know if it comes with the extended service periods. Maybe mine will arrive before yours, but I don't know for sure if I'm getting the U2 engine.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I wonder if it will turn up with the associated 6 speed gearbox.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline andys101

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Canterbury, Kent, England.
My sales man is a friend of mine and he showed me the delivery schedule from Hyundai - it was on the boat on the 28th August and should be here within 3 weeks.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
The Soul, which has been out in Aus for a few months now, has only a 5spd trans but the engine specs are as follows;

Capacity         1582cm3
Power             94kW@4000rpm
Torque           260Nm@1900rpm
BorexStroke   77x85mm
CR                 17.3:1

Looks like a U2 without the 6sp trans to me.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue
Folks, my i30 is 2008 model CRDI, and it was purchased in February 2008. What do you think my engine type is? Can it be the new U2 engine with diesel particulate filter (DPF) or the old one? I have read various resources and they all say different things.

I'm asking this because in case it has DPF, I will have to stick with a C2 & C3 type of oil
Cheers....

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

It wil definitely be a U rather than a U2 so if doesn't have a DPF....however

You need to use C3 oil if it has a DOC (Diesel Oxidising Catalyst) its different to a DPF but was fitted in 2008 depending on what country you are in. If its a european country it's likely to have a DOC. You can take a look for a bulge in the pipe under the car just after the bend in the exhaust header to see it.

Pip
It wil definitely be a U rather than a U2 so if doesn't have a DPF....however

You need to use C3 oil if it has a DOC (Diesel Oxidising Catalyst) its different to a DPF but was fitted in 2008 depending on what country you are in. If its a european country it's likely to have a DOC. You can take a look for a bulge in the pipe under the car just after the bend in the exhaust header to see it.

I think what you just described is how Oz cars are made. I can see what you describe as a DOC but definitely, C3 is not required. B4 is.

Of course, C3 will not hurt as long as B4 is reached also (which I expect is always).

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Is the .au version Euro 4 compliant?

I did a quick Google Lorian and this Aussie Dealer came up (down the page a bit it says it is)

http://www.truscotts.com.au/hyundai/new-i30.html

Quote:

"Environmental integrityThe 1.6 Common Rail Direct injection (CRDi) turbo Diesel engine is surprisely quiet, refi ned and smooth. More importantly for the environment i30 produces signifi cantly reduced CO² emissions (125 g / km for the i30 hatch) and EURO IV emission compliance. This makes the i30 a practical alternative to complex and expensive hybrid cars. In fact, the i30 cw wagon is not only the most fuel effi cient wagon available, but boasts the lowest CO² emissions of any wagon on the market 1. Hyundai Motor Company aims to make up to 95%of the i30 recyclable through developing technologies."
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal