i30 Owners Club

ESP has started switching off at random.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Mines done it 4 or 5 times now, twice in the last few days.  Will check tyre pressures but they look OK and its only been a few weeks since I last checked, and they were spot on as usual.  Hope it is just tyre pressures.

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Lucifer,

How did your ESP problem go? Was it a simple fix like tyre pressures. Our's is still good, just keep checking the pressure now on regular basis.

Rustbucket

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Just had this ESC OFF with my i30  :'( 

Trying the ESC switch made no difference, but after driving about 3 miles and turning off the engine and restarting it the problem has gone away.  Have just read all the posts so will check my tyre pressures before I next start it.  Car has only done 1900 Miles (about 3000 Km).

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Just had this ESC OFF with my i30  :'( 

Have you had the battery disconnected? The ESP OFF light behaves like that when you do. Just a thought.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Were you driving on slush at the time?

No.  Just started the car for the first time today and the ESC OFF light stayed ON. Tried a couple of times to restart it but light remained on.  As my first post it corrected itself after I tried again when I had driven about 3 miles.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Have you had the battery disconnected? The ESP OFF light behaves like that when you do. Just a thought.

Again No.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Hi Lucifer,

How did your ESP problem go? Was it a simple fix like tyre pressures. Our's is still good, just keep checking the pressure now on regular basis.

Rustbucket

Nope - my tyre pressures were within 0.2 psi all round.  Will take it into the dealer next opportunity I have.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

** IMPORTANT UPDATE **

I noticed the "ESP OFF" light is on all the time now, and my cruise wont engage.  It made me think because of the comments someone else said about a faulty brake switch.  I NOW HAVE NO BRAKE LIGHTS!  If anyone else has this light come up please check your brake lights.  I checked the fuse and its OK.  Will take the car straight to the dealer next opportunity.  I suspect the brake switch has failed in the off position, making the ESP freak out when it notices the brakes being used without the switch signal.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Do you not have the brake light fail indicator in the dash???
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Dont think we get it in Aus, and I think it only works by sensing a blown globe?  I'm guessing this is a switch fault so as far as the electrical system is concerned I'm not touching the brakes at all.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Its into the dealers tomorrow, I'll have to use hand signals to prevent a rear-end collision on the trip in.  I bloodywell hope that its the brake switch and they have one in stock as they are going to try and fix it while I wait.  My wife is 8-3/4 months pregnant and I just got out of a 3 day stint in hospital so I need my car right now!  We have been using the wifes car but a petrol V6 SUV - the fuel gauge moves quicker than the speedo and is costing us a small fortune.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
hope its an easy fix,ive got my fingers crossed.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah, good luck LD (sounds like pain in the a$$)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

All fixed - new brake light switch.  Problem is I cant keep saying "still havent had one thing go wrong with my car in 40k" - but I'm happy it was a quick fix.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Glad it's sorted LD.

You don't happen to know who makes the switch do you?
You could change it to "The only problem I have had with it was the German/French/British switch"  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good news LD  :D

Good Idea Brian  :D

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Sorry not sure on the switch manufacturer, I cant even see it!  There is like a kick panel in the way and I'm still a bit uncomfortable after the hospital stint to go twisting upside down to take it off - good idea tho.

One thing I have noticed is that it feels like they have adjusted the beam going to the master cylinder, the one people have had issues with binding.  Now my pedal has no free play at all, and I'm a bit concerned the brakes might be dragging slightly.  I havent smelt anything when I pull up so it might be ok, fuel economy seems ok too but I'll watch it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I think it is Bosch
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I think it might be too, that's why I put German first :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Well yeah, but don't say it too loudly the beemer mob would love that :lol: :lol:

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all,

Just had the switch replaced in ours. Even by keeping the tyres even pressures we had a couple of random occurrences when the ESP disengaged. I rang the Service department at my local dealer and they requested that I bring it in next day and they would replace the switch as the switch had proven to be randomly short circuiting and upsetting the ESP. Only took 1/2 hour and so far so good. Apparently accordingly to their service advice 1. check tyres first (tyre deflation usually shows up after 500 metres) 2. random disengagement is usually the brake switch.

All the best

Rustbucket

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good that it finally got sorted "RB" and thanks for the update...

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
... scheduled service last Wednesday. Straight after that, my ESP OFF came on. Unbelievable!!! considering they did a "Platetronic-Safe-T ..." check

and

I tried disconnecting the negative battery lead to reset the ECU. Driving off the ESP OFF lamp remained on. The manual switch had no effect. I stopped the car and engine, restarted and the ESP lamp remained off, with the ESP manual on/off switch operating OK.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

When the "ESP OFF" light comes back on by itself, check the brake lights or you might have a new tailgate emblem  :rolleyes:

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
Looks like my i30 is starting to display this little problem as well. Switching the car off and restarting thus far has resolved the problem, but given it seems to be happening every time I start the car, Sheldon's going back in for a service asap.

Haven't checked the tyre pressure recently - Sheldon only went in for a service within the last couple months (the tyres were also rotated then), so when he goes back in Thursday I'll get them to check that as well.

Also haven't noticed a problem with my brake lights (as they're superbly bright) but who knows, I'll get that checked out also.

Thanks again guys for a wealth of information about our cars. I really appreciate it!

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I had this happen for the first time this morning - I'll have to check the tyres before I go home

Pip
Happened on mine a couple of times recently. The stored fault code indicated the brake switch which was replaced today at 30k service.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the wife's car started getting a esp off light on today. brake lights work,tyre pressures OK. she's going to call the dealers tomorrow.  :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal