Concert for three rattles, a jingle and a creak

babis_xo · 120 · 33913

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
I intended to first write a short review of the car so far, which contains nothing but "good" things as the car is really good for its class. Finding a solution for the "bad" things, comes before though.
So, here we go:
 I bought the car new on August 20th, 2009. For the first ~3000 kms (2000 on highways) my i30 was silent as a graveyard by night. Therefrom assuming that the car had no congenital issues.
After that, by the next 2000 kms (mostly in-town), a new creak or rattle comes to the spotlight every other week or so. Till now, i encountered most of the usual creaks and rattles, plus some uncommon ones. Most of them are slightly getting worst day by day :'(
I removed everything from the trunk and glovebox, and still getting (in order of first appearence):
- rattle from somewhere inside the driver's (left) door panel (goes off temporarily by lifting up/down the window several times).
- rattle from the dashboard in front of the driver at about 3000 Rpm, just like a flying bug lives in there (stops when pressed intensenly by hand on a specific place, but i can't drive by one hand).
- frightening  :eek: loud protracted creak rear-right of the car (hatch-door?), when the car steers 90° left or right with low speeds on surfaces of unequal height (say, when turning down /up to a garage-ramp). Occasionally, the same creak sounds just once when the right side of the car passes over short potholes or bumps).
- occasional rattle from the steering column(?), when steering with the car stopped, regardless of pressing the brake pedal or not. It's not the noise from the electric power steering motor, neither the same issue that Shambles had.
- jingle from inside the steering wheel hub ??? (what the  :evil:). I figured out the origin of the jingle, when i tapped the steering wheel ring with my finger. Stops when i put my hand on the hub (maybe i could use the horn all the time? :D)
Since i am familiar with almost all kinds of rattles (owner of a 12-year Toyota Corolla and former driver of a Fiat 128), i assume that none of the above mentioned is a major issue. Afterall, according to a greek proverb, "a dog that barks never bites".
A last note: The black i30 below is identical to mine except that is a Korean built (o.k., maybe it has six differences :D)  It has over 50.000 kms and no shock-absorbers changed, but still no rattles. Hmmm...
I hope that the Czech workers weren't very unhappy when they assempled mine (see: )
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'm sure others will have suggestions based their experience. My i30 is still new so has no noises (yet).

For the noise from the rear, The first and easy thing to do is to unscrew the rubber door bump stops a little and see if that makes any difference (you can just unscrew with you hand). My money would be on suspension noise though given when it happens. Maybe anti-roll bar bushes.

Offline PUFC Guy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford

• Telford UK
frightening :eek: loud protracted creak rear-right of the car (hatch-door?), when the car steers 90° left or right with low speeds on surfaces of unequal height (say, when turning down /up to a garage-ramp). Occasionally, the same creak sounds just once when the right side of the car passes over short potholes or bumps).

My car has now done 2,300 miles and has developed the same as above when going over speed bumps or hitting holes etc. A loud noticeable noise on front right hand side of car (Though this might be just cause that's where I sit!).

Anyone else had it/got it diagnosed?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Again it could be anti-roll bar bushes squeaking. A spot of silicon spray might help. Often if it is these buishes creaking then spraying some water on them will make the noise disappear for a day or two.

Not sure if this is a particular problem on the i30, but it does happen on loads of other cars, including my old one. I never noticed it with rubber bushes, seems to be a function of using plastic bushes and no lubricant.

Offline PUFC Guy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford

• Telford UK
Cheers for the advice. Not sure "squeeking" is really the right term as it is more akin to the noise of a seat belt hitting the plastic moulding around the seat (Though it isn't what's causing it I checked!)

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

...My i30 is still new so has no noises (yet).
Mine too, but seems that the roads here make the cars grow older a littlt bit sooner...

For the noise from the rear, The first and easy thing to do is to unscrew the rubber door bump stops a little and see if that makes any difference...
Nope, they were fully unscrewed already :neutral:   But, i turned them the other way and now the hatch-door closes nicely :)   The noise is still there though...

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

frightening :eek: loud protracted creak rear-right of the car (hatch-door?), when the car steers 90° left or right with low speeds on surfaces of unequal height (say, when turning down /up to a garage-ramp). Occasionally, the same creak sounds just once when the right side of the car passes over short potholes or bumps).

My car has now done 2,300 miles and has developed the same as above when going over speed bumps or hitting holes etc. A loud noticeable noise on front right hand side of car (Though this might be just cause that's where I sit!).

Yes, same thing on a different spindle. At least that minimizes(?) the possibility of a loosen or damaged part because that would be such a coincidence!

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Again it could be anti-roll bar bushes squeaking. A spot of silicon spray might help. Often if it is these buishes creaking then spraying some water on them will make the noise disappear for a day or two.

Not sure if this is a particular problem on the i30, but it does happen on loads of other cars, including my old one. I never noticed it with rubber bushes, seems to be a function of using plastic bushes and no lubricant.
True, a "squeeking" suspension is common among old cars but mine isn't...
And it doessn't really sounds as "squeeking". I hope you're right though, and i'll give it a try with some water spraying on...

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
My 3 month old Czech car rattles all over. Front left door buzzes, rattle in back left. Creak from glove box and a metal sound(knock) from front of car on certain road surfaces. All seem to be getting worse by the day  :evil:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My 3 month old Czech car rattles all over. Front left door buzzes, rattle in back left. Creak from glove box and a metal sound(knock) from front of car on certain road surfaces. All seem to be getting worse by the day  :evil:

That's not good M8.. I get a buzz from around my glove box but that's about it...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Makes you wonder about the QC from the Euro factory doesn't it.

My 1.5 year old Korean has the glove box buzz and maybe the steering coupling (like Steves) but not enough to complain about yet (however will be an issue before 5 years :D)
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I got rid of all my noises by turning the radio/CD/iPod or whatever up louder :lol:

On a serious note it is annoying and whenever I've had such a noise I can't rest until I found it.

Fortunately odd noises have been very few on my i30.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline jason117

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Mum says I'm special...Newcastle NSW
    • Flickr Photos
My i30 rear hatch rattle surfaced after driving the car 3 feet out of the dealers showroom. Took it to another  ( closer to home ) dealer to have its 1000k service performed and I was told that after many hours of their factory trained fingers massaging my car there was no more rattle.....but it's still there and louder than before.  Aarrghhh!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My i30 rear hatch rattle surfaced after driving the car 3 feet out of the dealers showroom. Took it to another  ( closer to home ) dealer to have its 1000k service performed and I was told that after many hours of their factory trained fingers massaging my car there was no more rattle.....but it's still there and louder than before.  Aarrghhh!

Very frustrating Jason..  Sorry to hear that :rolleyes: Hopefully you can find it yourself..It is usually something simple in that area..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I suppose that there are more than six differences between Czech and Korean models :)
Probably juvenility problems of the Czech assemply department...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the Korean ones are also built the same as the Czech ones,it shouldn't make a difference where they are built.Hyundai's quality assurance, MUST,be the same in different countries. 
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

the Korean ones are also built the same as the Czech ones,it shouldn't make a difference where they are built.Hyundai's quality assurance, MUST,be the same in different countries. 

There are a few variation in parts from one plant to the other, but QC in Nosovice plant is still done by Koreans. The reports of the odd rattle and squeak seem to be varied between cars made in both plants.

I don't like the plastic rivets they use in some places (like the wheel arch liners) they are prone to cause rattles.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Suggestion:
Check the hatch bungs to ensure they are holding the hatch tight in place as it must be loose.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Suggestion:
Check the hatch bungs to ensure they are holding the hatch tight in place as it must be loose.

Or the wiper motor is loose.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
rattle from the dashboard in front of the driver at about 3000 Rpm, just like a flying bug lives in there (stops when pressed intensenly by hand on a specific place, but i can't drive by one hand).

this could be the same or similar to my creak (which i thought i had answered before actually - maybe not - anyway). i find it also disappears when hand is placed in certain spot.
i had it improved at my service when the dealer had the screw under the dash tightened. only thing that makes it disappear totally is to put a piece of hard foam between the door and dash when i close the door. works perfectly. i have a photo of exact spot but not on me (away from home currently - i can post it up next week if you like)

i also now have a creak/rattle on other side but haven't figured out where yet - could be dash or could be glove box.

sometimes get a vibration in the rear vision mirror as well
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Pip
I had an intermittant "sizzle" that appeared to come from the (RHD) drivers window. Had me going for ages as no amount of pressure anywhere on the window or door made any impression. Turned out to be coming from the extra keys hanging from the ignition key key-ring. Facinating how the sound never came from that direction at all.

I've got the glove-box one now.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

If you have you spare wheel nuts and alloy lock in the glovebox they rattle. I put a bit of foam in the box with mine and put them in one of the boot trays, with my spare net to stop the box banging.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I had a rattle in the back of the car somewhere.
All I could tell was that it was behind me somewhere.
Sometimes it was there, sometimes it wasn't.
As I don't drive it that often, I only looked for it every now and again...
Then over Christmas I was driving it daily and it sent me up the wall....
Sounded like something rattling around in one of the under floor storage boxes in the hatch..... 
AAAARGGGGHHHH   I was going nuts.

I got in the back and told the Mrs to drive a bit harder than she normally does while I listened. I was going to find it one way or the other.

HA HA !!

After the rear seat belts have been used, if not released properly, the buckle clip rides up with the belt on retraction and sits on a plastic protector thingy near the top of the seat.  Drop the clip back to the stop on the belt... noise gone.

When it rattles now, I don't care!!!  Cause I know what it is !!! I just move the clip next time I stop (If I remember),

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

When fitting my scanguage I noticed there is a big open curved slot under the steering wheel that I thought looked like it would allow any in-dash noises out towards the driver.

I took about 6 inches of unused fire-resistant high density central heating pipe lagging (smallest bore) and bent into the slot. It fits perfectly, blocks the gap and actually looks better than having a hole there too.  The piece needs to be about 2 inches (5cm) longer than the slot.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I took the car to the local dealer. At first, he tighten up the car body (suspension, wishbones etc.). Then, after a long term test drive, we identified that:

- The noise from the rear right of the hatch, caused by something inside the trunk light hole. We pulled out the cap with the bulb and the wires and the noise stopped. Some rearrangement of the wires will do the job, i think.

- The screw of the rear left restraint system whas fully loose (though no rattles from there)

- The rattle from the steering wheel itself, was caused by its back side cheap plastic covers. We removed all parts, set them back and the noise has gone (not temporarily i hope!)

- The left screw under the driver visor panel was somehow loose (thanks snowcherry!)

Unfortunately, we didn't manage to hear the other rattles, as usually happens when you take the car to the mechanic... or maybe because it was raining.
They didn't charge me at all, and that's a big plus for Hyundai.

There are still some rattles which reappeared the other day.
So, i followed Shamples advice and recorded some sound clips (well, an entirely library) of the upsetting creaks from the steering (?) rack.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
glad to see you fixed up a few! hopefully you'll get them all  :)

i've definantly gained a new rattle/vibration in my car (passenger front). i guess i need to find a volunteer passenger/driver to pin it down. it could be the glove box as some mention
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
glad to see you fixed up a few! hopefully you'll get them all  :)

i've definantly gained a new rattle/vibration in my car (passenger front). i guess i need to find a volunteer passenger/driver to pin it down. it could be the glove box as some mention

Have someone put a little pressure on the glove box lid, or open it temporarily while driving - it disappears when I do either.  A bit of grease behind the latch 'bolt' does the trick for a little while.

I have another rattle from the seat belt top shackle adjuster, right by my ear.  I have to drop it down one notch from the top to stop it, will mention it next service.  Also my vents creak when its been parked in the hot sun and the aircon fires up - but i think thats to be expected due to the material shrinking at uneven rate.  My car has done 40k now and it regularly goes onto unsealed and quite bumpy roads and is holding up really well.  Only problem is its constantly filthy and i'm not going to wash it every second day.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Good job you weren't using the child seat restraint  :rolleyes:

As far as i know, they are useless here as we don't have such type of restraints. 

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

They called me from the Hyundai service, asked if everything was ok with my car and prompt me to give them another try.
Hmm, that's what i call customer support.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal