Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As fitted standards on most european/UK models.

http://shhtyres.com.sg/images/tyres/passenger/HighPerformance_415.pdf

Not sure if I believe it.

I was told the Khumo Solus comes out of another door in the same factory and that came 12th !!! :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the 15" kumhos on an i30 as fitted to the sx, are about $155 each.thats not a cheap tyre.  :eek:  and ive found hankook not to good in the past.  :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
I made a good choice of tires...
Bridgestone Turanza ER 300.
Cheap tires that seem to be good... :) :) :)
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

the 15" kumhos on an i30 as fitted to the sx, are about $155 each.thats not a cheap tyre.  :eek:  and ive found hankook not to good in the past.  :rolleyes:

I think if you shopped around you could do a lot better than that.... :eek:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Depending on where you reside and the daily use of the tyres I think that the same brand will perform differently.

Tyres are like all comodities and are designed for the market they are to be sold in.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brand A in UK differs ever so slightly to the same Brand A say in Oz or mainland Europe or Korea or USA as the compound will be mixed for that areas temperature and road conditions.

As as test can members state their location, tyre brand/type and then the details on the tyre.

If enough provde details then we can see if the same tyre brand/type/make is manufactured differently for particular markets.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

All the recent Hankooks in europe will be come from their factory in Hungary, open since 2007. I guess Au ones come from a korean plant.

"Feb 3, 2010 - South Korean tyre maker Hankook Tire might launch new production lines at its Hungarian plant six months ahead of schedule at end-2010.

Last week, the company said it would channel EUR 230 million (USD 321m) in its plant in Racalmas, central Hungary, looking to increase its production twofold by 2012 to meet rising demand in Europe.

The plant produces 15,000 tyres a day. The company plans to boost its annual capacity to 10 million units and increase its workforce to 1,900 from 1,250."

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I think if you shopped around you could do a lot better than that.... :eek:
when i got my mags and tyres fitted i was told my stock tyres where that price [or close to it] so they are in the shed ready for the cw when it needs new tyres.  :razz:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Last week, the company said it would channel EUR 230 million (USD 321m) in its plant in Racalmas, central Hungary, looking to increase its production twofold by 2012 to meet rising demand in Europe.

The plant produces 15,000 tyres a day. The company plans to boost its annual capacity to 10 million units and increase its workforce to 1,900 from 1,250."

:eek: Impressive numbers...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thats a big tyre factory.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
As fitted standards on most european/UK models.

http://shhtyres.com.sg/images/tyres/passenger/HighPerformance_415.pdf

Not sure if I believe it.

According to this test, hankooks are the most quiet tires out there (?!?!?!). Somebody's kidding us :evil:
Of course, at diferrent dimensions maybe test results aren't combarable.

Here are some test results from ADAC (smaller number indicates better score):
(185/60 14 H) http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Sommerreifen/185_60_R14/tab.asp?ComponentID=242178&SourcePageID=243129
(195/65 15 V) http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Sommerreifen/195_65_R15/tab.asp?ComponentID=209311&SourcePageID=209308
(205/55 16 W) http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Sommerreifen/205_55_R16/tab.asp?ComponentID=242488&SourcePageID=243132
(ADAC tyre test home page) http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/default.asp?id=913&location=2%5FTests
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
I picked up my i30 CRDi Style last week and it has Hankook tyres they seam very good never had them before. I'm a big fan of Pirelli had P6's and most recently P7's on my last car.

i30Sean.

PS Has to be Michelin Pilot Power 2CT on the Bike  :D

Offline DaveCRDi

• 2nd Gear
I'll probably be changing tyres when the stock Hankook ones wear out. I've had Hankooks before and I seem to remember them not lasting as long as the Vredesteins I had after them.

FixedR6
Has to be Michelin Pilot Power 2CT on the Bike
Nah, Diablo Rosso's on the Yammy  :D

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I'm happy with the Michelin's I put on the front of Wiggy - hardly any sign of wear so far after almost 20,000km

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
I was checking the price of the Hankook tyres in the UK and they are not a cheap tyre they come in at around £80 fully fitted lots of big brands are below that price so I'm impressed with Hyundai choice.

i30Sean.

PS FixR6, Had some Corsa 111's on my Honda before the Yam but not as good as the Michelin's in the wet and in UK we get lots of wet  :lol:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Interesting, but I don't really trust the test. Well, I don't trust any tests 100%, but still, they can give you a better picture of what you are buying, but this one clearly doesn't.

In "our" test (it's tested by german ADAC), the Hankook K415 were among the last ones (the same dimension 185/60/14H). They say they are terrible in rain, especially handling and braking with ABS, but are the best in fuel economy.

http://www.motorevija.si/datoteke/18560R14Hmarectab.gif

They got "recommended with limitations" - which means..don't buy it, but if you have them on your car, put them off as soon as possible :)

The best ones get: "highly recommended"
The "okay" ones get: "recommended"
The not so good ones and which you shouldn't really buy: "recommended with limitations"
The ones you should NEVER buy: "not recommended"

Interesting, Kumho KH17 got "highly recommended" hmm :)

But, results are different, when it comes to our dimensions 185/65, 195/65, 205/55, 225/45..

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Like I said, not sure i believe it.

They seem pretty average to me. For driving the kids to school or doing 70mph on the motoway they are OK, but start to test the chasis on some twisty roads in damp conditions and I find them too hard, prone to undesteer with the transition being fairly unprogressive.

They seem pretty hard, I'm sure they would last a long time for people just doing motorway miles.

I'm  minded to at least swap the fronts, probably before next winter.

I need to play with the pressures in the fronts a bit more when I have time.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti

They seem pretty average to me. ... start to test the chasis on some twisty roads in damp conditions and I find them too hard, prone to undesteer with the transition being fairly unprogressive.

They seem pretty hard, ...

yep
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Probably would be good if SurferDude could post on this subject as he is more in the know with Tyres.
I was once told Hanc... bought there reseach data from Yokohama and it kept there over head down, this was some time back.
i've been impressed with my Kumho 16" they are wearing well not one flat, i have driven in rain and extream heat and on very rough cold mix outback roads in inland NSW, i do regular trip out there on back roads at speed plus through some twisty mountain country. they have never let me down yet and never let go. i keep them @ around 40psi. i was going to change to Michelin energy Tyres but i have over 40,000k on them now ( had 15,000k up on stock 15" when i got the SLX wheels & tyres ) so i'm thinking if i'm having good luck now why change. i'll prob replace with the same.
ps i've noticed some badge snob friends have new Kumho's on there pedigree car's LOL

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sorry guys. Just found this topic. :-[
Lots to comment on here so I'll try to give a bit of an overview and if you have any specific queries throw them back at me.
Tyre tests are the bane of tyre sales peoples' lives. As some on here have comented.  You can get some widely varying results depending on any number of issues.
1/ The tester(s). No matter what process you put in place for anonymity of brand, there are personal driving styles which can produce widely differing results. There are even (unsubstantiated) claims that the magazines have a process in place to "give the nod" to the tester when he is on one of their favoured (read "regular advertiser") brands.
2/ The vehicle(s). Different strokes for different folks. Some cars suit certain types of tread patterns and vice versa. I remember one instance in Innisfail, North Qld where a customer was complaining about the road noise in his Holden Statesman with a particular Goodyear tyre on. We arranged to replace them with another Goodyear tread pattern and the noise went away. As it turned out, one of the store's other customers had the same model car and we arranged, as an experiment, to fit the "noisy" tyres to it. The result - absolutely no noise and the tyres served out their life with no further problems (on either car).
3/ Again, as someone on here has suggested, tyres can be made in different factories around the world and may or may not be tailored to suit the particular market they are being sold into. There are even some instances where the factory is geared to making a particular tread pattern or size to certain parameters which suit the vehicle manufacturer which takes the bulk of the output from that factory.
    In Australia, Ford preferred tyres which produced a smooth ride above all else, whilst GMH (Holden) wanted tyres to handle well. Sometimes a bit difficult to achieve when you only have relatively small (on a world scale) factories. It's academic now as Goodyear/Dunlop and more recently, Bridgestone have ceased all production in Australia/NZ.
    Which leads to the next problem. Our tyres can come from Japan, Korea, Malaysia, China, Indonesia, Thailand or the Phillipines in this region, or USA, Brazil, or the various European factories.
To the best of my knowledge the US doesn't tailor its product for anywhere but the US. From Brazil they will make changes requested by Oz (esp in truck tyres) but you don't always get waht you ask for.
Most of the Asian factories are owned or jointly run by a worldwide brand so you can get "Australian" product. Which is necessary because many of those plants also make tyres for the less demanding / regulated local markets. This leads to "parallel imports" finding their way into this country with very little chance of them performing up to standard.
    So, to cut a long story short, depending on where the "test" tyres were made, they may perform better or worse than those you end up with on your car.
    At the end of the day, as I've said elsewhere, get to know a local tyre company, ask questions, analyse their answers and most of all, make sure they ask you questions about your driving habits/ requirements etc before they make a recommendation.

Oh. One other thing. Like Hyundai and Kia, so are Hankook and Kumho (to the best of my knowledge). And IIRC, these brand links go back to the financial crisis Sth Korea went through about 10 years ago.

That went on a lot longer than I intended.
Sorry. :-[ :P
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
I started beliving to Hankook tyres after wife's previous car before the i30, a Getz CRDi, was sold out with the same Hankooks it came with 5 years ago...

And never had any bad feelings about those in use.

Long gone are the times when Bridgestones were considered to be just transportation protection for the rims of japanese cars :)(Though personally I still hold that opinion about Bridgestones, my Fiat Stilo MW came with Bridgestones due to Ferrari F1 deal, and they were disgustingly noisy. Luckily I managed to speak the dealer to change them for Pirelli P6's...)

Same is happening with the Korean tyres now. When we had the summer tires put to alus on a tire shop, they just commented that the Hankooks seemed to need unusually low amount of balance weights, which is an indication of well made tire.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Same is happening with the Korean tyres now. When we had the summer tires put to alus on a tire shop, they just commented that the Hankooks seemed to need unusually low amount of balance weights, which is an indication of well made tire.

That's not always the case although it often is.
Tyre manufacturers can make a cheaper product by using lighter materials (esp in the belt package) which means less weights required because there's less weight in the tread area to be out of balance.
The Hankooks appear to be fine as far as reliability and wear are concerned.
They just lack a bit in the grip department.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal