Intermediate Services???

Joel · 8 · 4908

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2019 N-line i30, back in 2011 SLX i30cw diesel
So who really does these?

I find it interesting that the salesman makes a big deal that their services are only once every 12 months or 15,000km, better than most other car makes (excl Kia and Suzuki which have the same extended interval).. Then when I went in for my 1,000km checkup they put the sticker up saying service due at 7,500km. The guy also made a big deal to say especially on Diesel cars ("where the oil gunks up faster") we really should service every 7,500km, making them worse than almost all other makes of cars..

I doubt I will keep the car past the 5 year warranty expiration so don't see why I would bother with 7,500km services, seems a bit of a bait and switch situation except the out is my warranty won't be effected..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If you have a "sticky" at your manual, you'll find that the intermediate services are for those that drive their i30 under hard conditions such as in towing trailers, constant traffic or high speeds.
If you aren't doing that sort of driving, 15,000k servicing is all that's required.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm sure if you ask your dealer about only having 15,000km/12 month services they will say its your choice. the 7,500kms is recommended as Russ said,due to harsh conditions.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2019 N-line i30, back in 2011 SLX i30cw diesel
If you have a "sticky" at your manual, you'll find that the intermediate services are for those that drive their i30 under hard conditions such as in towing trailers, constant traffic or high speeds.
If you aren't doing that sort of driving, 15,000k servicing is all that's required.

Yeah I saw that, I guess the thing I found interesting is the service center person trying to tell me that diesels really need to be serviced every 7,500km (no mention of driving conditions)..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
most new model diesel cars now days state in the TV adds, that you have 20,000 to 30,000km services.  :rolleyes:  and remember a petrol engine can go the same distance,according to the adds I've seen.  :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Pip
The other thing to take into account is how many k's you will do in a year, a year being the maximum interval irrespective of the mileage. If you were to only do 10k Km, for instance, then I'd just do yearly as doing every 5k Km would be overdoing it.

Coincidently I do 15k and as I fully expect to keep the car 10 or more years I decided that I'd do intermediate changes at 7.5k as it really is only the equivalent of an extra tankful a year - I do it myself and leave the filter, so it's just the cost of oil for me.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Yeah I saw that, I guess the thing I found interesting is the service center person trying to tell me that diesels really need to be serviced every 7,500km (no mention of driving conditions)..

The dealers make more out of servicing than out of the sale over the life of the car (so they are just trying to line their pockets) Modern oils will easily cope with 15,000 kms (even in a diesel)

Most who do the 7,500 services do the same as Pip and just change the oil themselves
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I did mine myself- oil and filter cost me a tad over $100 - got ripped off by the Hyundai dealer to tune of $40 for the filter.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal