i30 Owners Club

Tyre Advice

Twempie · 20 · 6902

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Took my 1.6 CRDI CW for its third (37,500 mile) service the other day and was surprised to be told that I would shortly need a new set of fronts.  The tyres (Hankooks 205/55R16) were only replaced 12,500 miles earlier at the previous service.   The treads were down to 3mm, 2.5mm and 3mm from the outer to the inner tread. They have been run at 32psi although the dealer claimed that when they were checked at the service  none of them were inflated to the same pressure. 

I've read other threads on the forum which suggest that the amount of torgue going through the front wheels might adversely affect tyre life on the diesels but still feel that the rate of wear is higher than might reasonably be expected.   I tend to drive conservatively and try to achieve decent fuel economy.  Don't know if driving style might be a factor in determining tyre wear?

Anyway, my main question is whether I should persevere with Hankooks or try a different manufacturer?  If so, what would members recommebd.  The other question I have is whether I am likely to have any problems having the TPMS re-set if I get the tyres replaced at a local tyre fitter or national chain if I choose them over the dealer?
Thanks
Twempie

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Twempie,
Take the time to go and read some of the topics in the "Tyres and Wheels" section. You may find a fair bit of information there.
In brief, there appears to be some issues, as you say, with tyre wear on the diesels.
TBH I remain unconvinced.
1/ Select a well known brand as a replacement.
2/ Run them at 36 psi and check them fortnightly. (if it was me with that problem, I'd run them at 38 psi)
3/ Regarding the TPMS, someone else on here can probably answer your question, or check what it says in the handbook. In my experience (in Oz) the cars we have fitted tyres to or done puncture repairs, the TPMS resets itself after a few klms of driving (provided the pressure is correct). Sometimes it's OK from the moment you fit the tyres, depending on the car.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
I can't comment on the i30 in particular, as I do not have one yet, however as a high mileage driver approx 50,000 a year, we always use CONTINENTAL PREMIUM CONTACT 2. and find them fantastic.

Pleanty of grip and the last very well.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I can't comment on the i30 in particular, as I do not have one yet, however as a high mileage driver approx 50,000 a year, we always use CONTINENTAL PREMIUM CONTACT 2. and find them fantastic.

Plenty of grip and they last very well.

Interesting, those Continentals have had several good wraps on here.. :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice.  The tyres that wore out quickly were Hankook Ventus Prime 2's not the Optimo K215s that were originally fitted. 

This time around I thought I would give the Hankook Kinergy K425s a go.  I understand that the K415s are being phased out.

The original K415s are still on the back with plenty life left.  I didn't fancy having different brands on the fronts and rears but will replace all four at the next change.

I'll add a few pounds of pressure as suggested and see how I get on. 
Cheers

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Hi Guys,
  Well you will remember that I took on being the guinea pig for testing the Mastercraft tyres on the i30. They are Mastercraft Touring LSR   195.65.15.
 They are Made in the USA, not mexico or elsewhere.

I have been running them at 36-38PSI and the car does more rural clicks than city.
We have just had them on for 11,000Kms and they still look like new.

I also fitted a camber kit, ~$90, bought online from White Industries in Sydney, so that I have max possible adjustment on the front wheels.

The tyres are very quiet, have a 70,000 Km guarantee.
 I had them checked and rotated at 10,000Km and they were fine.

Both wet and dry driving has been good, so there has been no issues.

I think it was about $110 each fitted and balanced.

Google them to find a local dealer. www.mastercrafttires.com.au

Once fitted, you will get a warranty card, that you get stamped each 10,000kms to keep the warranty valid.

Hopes this helps......happy to answer any questions.

Cheers
  Elle B

• 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow.. Very positive so far then Tony and they were cheap too  :eek: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Guys,
  Well you will remember that I took on being the guinea pig for testing the Mastercraft tyres on the i30. They are Mastercraft Touring LSR   195.65.15.
 They are Made in the USA, not mexico or elsewhere.

I have been running them at 36-38PSI and the car does more rural clicks than city.
We have just had them on for 11,000Kms and they still look like new.

I also fitted a camber kit, ~$90, bought online from White Industries in Sydney, so that I have max possible adjustment on the front wheels.

The tyres are very quiet, have a 70,000 Km guarantee.
 I had them checked and rotated at 10,000Km and they were fine.

Both wet and dry driving has been good, so there has been no issues.

I think it was about $110 each fitted and balanced.

Google them to find a local dealer. www.mastercrafttires.com.au

Once fitted, you will get a warranty card, that you get stamped each 10,000kms to keep the warranty valid.

Hopes this helps......happy to answer any questions.

Cheers
  Elle B
Thanks ElleB. I had forgotten who it was had fitted these. had to hope whoever it was posted an update.
Much appreciated.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Have bookmarked that address for later when I need tyres.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I had been considering Mastercraft tyres for my SLX but they are a bit too pricey for me....$172 each.  :undecided:

I'm now considering Continental's ContiComfortContact 5's at $147......

Anyone tried these tyres or have an opinion?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I had been considering Mastercraft tyres for my SLX but they are a bit too pricey for me....$172 each.  :undecided:

I'm now considering Continental's ContiComfortContact 5's at $147......

Anyone tried these tyres or have an opinion?
Pretty sure these are the ones Alan said to stay away from. Only because being a newer model they are supposed to be better but they aren't. He has written a bit about them.
Try to get Continental Premium Contact 2s
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6874.msg82791#msg82791

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The 5's are supposedly not as quiet as the 2's but having said that, my tyre guy raves about the 5's as well.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks Trev....I did re-read Alan's comments and I think the only real issue as such was that they weren't as quiet. Otherwise they apparently offer improved tyre wear and better extreme wet grip...... :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Trev....I did re-read Alan's comments and I think the only real issue as such was that they weren't as quiet. Otherwise they apparently offer improved tyre wear and better extreme wet grip...... :undecided:
I've only driven on the 2s and I certainly can't fault them.
I guess it comes down to price and if the 2's are still available.
That price seems exy for the Mastercraft. 16s or 17s?
Although I think the last time I looked they didn't have a 17 in our size.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The Mastercrafts were in the standard SLX size, Trev...205/55R16....
They did seem rather expensive, especially when you compare the price Tony paid for his 15" tyres......  :undecided:

They are out of my price range anyhow... :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
As for the Continental ContiPremium Contact 2's, I looked up the Jax Tyres website and they don't appear to have them in 205/55R16......  :undecided:

Btw, Jax want $169 for the ContiComfort Contact 5's so I'm certainly gonna support my local tyre bloke...  :eek:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The 5's are $149 fitted at my tyre shop.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Much the same as my local bloke then.....So it doesn't always pay to buy from the big blokes... :undecided:

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Twempie, I just had a pair of Hankooks 425 eco (flowers on side yes i know) from www.event-tyres.co.uk for £140 all in I got 20K out of my first set of Hankooks then tried Pirelli P7's very gripppy and stable but only lasted 14K.

I just had my 37,500ml service last week at Beachdale Hyundai in Derby was £173 but did have the brake fluid changed and re-bleed as brakes were a bit spongy. Plus they print on the bill C3 oil used  :goodjob2:

i30Sean

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Twempie, I just had a pair of Hankooks 425 eco (flowers on side yes i know) from www.event-tyres.co.uk for £140 all in I got 20K out of my first set of Hankooks then tried Pirelli P7's very gripppy and stable but only lasted 14K.
I got 24K out of the K415's on the front. The backs will out last the car  :mrgreen:

I surprised myself and also bought K425s for the front as they were "good value". They are definitely better in the wet than the K415's were, and my ears say they are a bit quieter too.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal