i30 Owners Club

Do aftermarket wheels INVALIDATE 5 year warranty? (2013 i30)

Offline glasgowi30

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
does anyone know if I upgraded my wheels to aftermarket wheels, will this invalidate my hyundai dealer warrenty or will they not care?

I have a 2013 i30

also do people think this wheel will look nice on my white 2013 i30?

http://www.oz-racing.de/car_wheels_var/MSW/563473/BLACK%20EDITION/MSW%2019%20-%20Black%20Edition/563478.aspx

MSW 19 black edition

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Nice wheels. :goodjob:
I can't see how they would affect your warranty if they are legal for the road.
Maybe Hyundai might make a case if you experienced some steering component wear - due to the slightly wider track placing more stress on those bits.

But someone from your side of the world will have a better idea.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
They've never said anything bout my wheels when warranty work has been done,I had the whole steering system fail,Hyundai replaced at no charge to me,not sure why you would want 19",going to be one hell of a rough ride,I only went from 15" to 17" and it made one hell of a difference in ride comfort,OMHO
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I would recommend that you contact Hyundai UK and ask the question.

My guess is that they will not honour the warranty for anything drive train or suspension related. The car was not designed for 19" wheels and there is no knowing what effect it might have.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline glasgowi30

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
sorry meant to mention the size will be 17"! the name of the alloy is MSW 19 but it comes in a 17" size which I would go for.

im sure hyundai dealers would be ok considering its 17" anyway?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
sorry meant to mention the size will be 17"! the name of the alloy is MSW 19 but it comes in a 17" size which I would go for.

im sure hyundai dealers would be ok considering its 17" anyway?

Go off of the tyre and wheel chart you have in the car on the door pillar,that will give you the info your after,if your cars are the same over there all the recommended tyre and wheel combo's will be on that plaque
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Black wheels look nice on a white car! 17's should be fine.

Like others have said they could only try and blame the wheels for suspension claims mainly.

Would be drawing a long bow to blame that size on drivetrain issues. (19's would have been a worry though as Alan said)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Some versions of GD i30 have 17" wheels as standard, so they can't say you have too big wheels, as long as the aftermarket wheel is similar enough to the original. Sometimes those aftermarket wheels may interfere with brake calipers, or have very different offset so they must be chosen carefully.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
does anyone know if I upgraded my wheels to aftermarket wheels, will this invalidate my hyundai dealer warranty or will they not care?

I have a 2013 i30

Exactly what type of wheels do you have fitted at present, steel rims or alloys  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
They would really be hard pressed to say that a 17" wheel would cause a problem. Even 19" rims wouldn't cause that much wear. Once you start going to 20 and higher is where you have problem.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
But if you're a company and your looking for an out, then it could be used against you.

From a transmission / shaft situation, any increase in diameter of the wheel is going to ask more of these components. Like riding a bike in high gear, it IS possible, but the load on the chain is increased dramatically. Probably within a vehicles design limits, but who knows.  :wacko:

Any offset difference would also affect steering loads on those components, too.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
But if you're a company and your looking for an out, then it could be used against you.

From a transmission / shaft situation, any increase in diameter of the wheel is going to ask more of these components. Like riding a bike in high gear, it IS possible, but the load on the chain is increased dramatically. Probably within a vehicles design limits, but who knows.  :wacko:

Any offset difference would also affect steering loads on those components, too.
I understand about the offset Phil. But surely if you increase the rim diameter, you fit lower profile tyres to maintain the same (within legal limits) overall diameter?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 Never had low profile tyres, so didn't think of that. I guess you would.  :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Given that original tyres are 82 profile, if you have 70/65/60 series tyres fitted then you have had low profile tyres.
There are also ULP (Ultra low profile) tyres.
Don't quote me on the changeover point but I think they probably start from 45 series and lower.
Car Advice says any number below 50 is considered ULP.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline robinit

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      dee why
Hi there!

I have 18 x 8 inch wheels on my 2013 gd i30 coupe.  40 profile tyres. Handles much better and ride is not harsh. I'm glad I got 18s instead of 17s. Doesn't look small. The standard 16s looked like 14s! Would I have gone bigger than 18? Not on your life! Any less than 40 tyre profile you are in trouble. Rims damage easily. Also 19s would have made the car look like it was on stilts!  I can't show you picks cos I'm too much of a retard to know how to reduce the file size to post pics! Honest!  :
  • 2013 hyundai i30 se automatic coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Try using Photobucket.  :)

:whsaid: there is a how to in the welcome section.

Offline HytechToronto

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Toronto
I am a Hyundai technician in Toronto, and I've seen a fair share of aftermarket mods to our cars. Warranty is treated part specifically, so if you mod your engine, only engine specific claims would be scrutinised. The same goes for all mods. I can't imagine where anything could be adversely affected by changing your rims, but the onus would be on Hyundai to prove that your wheels were the cause of a fault. So short of putting 35" inch tires and trying to claim rattling in the sway bars, you'll be fine.
Enjoy the ride :)
  • 09 Touring

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:ta: Hytech you will be a  :welcome: addition to our site (we have several "techy" people at our disposal but always keen to have more!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal