Tyre Noise

Paulq · 95 · 34537

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It is not the smoothness of the road that is the main factor for road noise - it is the porosity of the surface.

The tarmac surface layer now in common use in Europe and the UK for A roads and Motorways was originally developed to minimise surface water retention and thus reduce the risk of aquaplaning. It is very porous.  It was unpredicted that this would result in a quieter ride with most types of tyres.

This is because the amount of air trapped in the contact area was significantly reduced - the trapped air had somewhere to escape through the porous tarmac rather than be ejected sideways at the surface which resulted in a roaring sound.

On the subject of grit dressed roads - it is the case that when first laid they have greater grip than smooth tarmac - but the grit eventually wears to a highly polished and smooth surface which reduces the overall coefficient of friction with rubber tyres.

Hence both arguments are true

Newly gritted surfaces have a higher coefficient of friction than smooth tarmac - but this is soon lost when the protruding grit is worn down to a smooth surface.  Gritted surfaces, new or worn, are always noisier than the modern porous tarmac.

Smooth porous tarmac has a slightly lower coefficient of friction, but this remains almost constant for the life of the surface. Hence porous tarmac roads , compared with gritted roads, have less noise and a higher coefficient of friction (on average) over the life of each surface.

Gritted roads using unprocessed tarmac and rock chippings are much cheaper than porous tarmac and have a longer life - hence their continuing use in the UK on roads with a speed limit of less than 60 mph (95 kph) where aquaplaning is not considered to be a serious factor.

And there I rest my case m'Lord
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 20:39:51 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I was doing some research on the subject of road surfaces and grip just recently and found this article very informative...  :goodjob:

Check out section II -  "How road roughness affects grip"

http://automotive.ing.unibs.it/~gadola/Michelin/GRIP.PDF

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Googling the subject brings up research as far back as the 60s and  70s with articles in the respected publication,  New Scientist, with reports on testing done by Dunlop in the UK. More recent stuff talks about a product in use in Florida and other US states which uses a combination of rough stone (bauxite IIRC) on a resin base.
As Alan said, the course stuff does wear down but it is infinitely more efficient in providing traction in problem areas.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I was doing some research on the subject of road surfaces and grip just recently and found this article very informative...  :goodjob:

Check out section II -  "How road roughness affects grip"

http://automotive.ing.unibs.it/~gadola/Michelin/GRIP.PDF
Good stuff Rusty. I still have a heap of charts  from Goodyear which I used in training which say much the same thing.
There's a section of road going uphill to Buderim near where I live which over the last few years has been the subject of numerous single car accidents - running off the road in the wet. After years of denying the surface was at fault, the council finally replaced it. No accidents since.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
It doesnt mean the surface has to be noisy, though. There are plenty of roads that are not noisy and do not have cars crashing into each other every time it rains. I think the coarseness they are talking about in the article is finer than these noisy roads are.
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal