i30 Owners Club

Which Tyres to Suit GD i30 Premium?

simz87 · 6 · 3001

Offline simz87

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hello all!

I've read through plenty of topics & posts on the forum & am still having trouble deciding on what tyres to put on my i30 Premium..

The vehicle is just under 30,000kms & this will be the 2nd time I've had to change the front tyres.. I purchased the car new with Nexen Roadian 225/45/17 & used the same tread when I replaced the front, however having to change again already is very upsetting! (Disgusting Wear)..

What do yous all recommend? Have been looking at the Continental MaxContact MC5 (mainly because of their buy 3 get 4 offer) or Bridgestone Potenza RE002..
  • Hyundai i30 Premium CRDi - GD 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Go the Contis.
Are the front ones wearing evenly or on the shoulders?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline simz87

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
1st set wore evenly, however the 2nd set was a bit of a mix.. Drivers wore evenly whilst Passenger wore on shoulders.. (Always check air pressure & was aligned twice)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
1st set wore evenly, however the 2nd set was a bit of a mix.. Drivers wore evenly whilst Passenger wore on shoulders.. (Always check air pressure & was aligned twice)
Sorry to keep asking questions but was the wear on both the inside and outside shoulder. I know you said "Shoulders" - plural, but that can only happen if the pressure is low. 

If just the inside, it's alignment (most likely camber). If it's on the outside only, then possibly camber but more often caused by using lots of roundabouts. No idea why it would only happen with the second set though. Except that points more to an alignment issue unless you moved from the country to the city and started using more roundabouts.

When you replace them this time, run 36 psi in the front (or 38 preferably.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline simz87

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Questions are fine lol..

It was both inside & outside shoulders.. I thought it may have been low pressure but when checked they were fine..

I'll have the car looked at by Hyundai during the week..

Regardless, looks like I'll be going with the Continental MC5's

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :welcome:

30,000 kms is not good.  :disapp:
I have generally got 70,000 to 80,000 kms from a set of tyres on my i30s.
I'd go with the Continentals but make sure your alignment/balance is all good.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal