i30 Owners Club

Sydney to Melbourne Economy question?

ryane · 8 · 2663

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
So I am planning a bit of a road trip from sydney to Melbourne in the next couple of weeks in with both my lovely 5spd 09FD CRDI and the Mrs. Automatic GD.

I will be driving the FD and a good mate driving the GD.

I was just wondering if anyone out there had done Sydney to Melbourne in either of these great cars or even both, and could tell me what their fuel consumption was like.

I really just want to compare usage between the FD with 100k on the clock and the GD with not even 10k.

Also off topic but it has been nearly ten years since i did this trip and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good places for food along the way.

Cheers

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Which way are you going, Ryane?

Down the "Doom" highway or the scenic route around the coast?

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have done the Hume highway Melb to Syd return trip twice in my 07 CRDi.  Your CRDi should easily do that trip  one-way on less than a tank.  I wasn't using higher-than-Hyundai-recommended tyre pressures back then.  I think your speed and tyre pressures will have a lot to do with the economy that you get.  I kept a log of the fuel used - when I find it I will post it here.

• SX crdi manual 2007

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Rusty ill be going via the dreaded doom   :rofl:

Eureka good point mate. As I need my license for work ill stick to the speed limit most of the way. No doubt there will be some mischief here and there.

Regarding tyre pressure I'm about to fit a set of continentalS to my 17s. Not sure what pressure ill run yet.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Will do it easily, with change.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=10968.msg122865#msg122865

From memory, I still had enough diesel to potter around Melbourne only filling up the night before we left.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I run 38 too, perfect for the high speed run.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Cheers Beerman, i actually remember now reading that post you made some time back!!!

Rusty thanks for the links. I nearly forgot about those damn time-distance/ point to point cameras!!!!
Just went out and checked, all four tyres on the stocks are sitting at around 37/38 so will just got with your advice.

the trip should also wear the new springs and coils in nicely!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal