i30 Owners Club

Accim's videos -> trip to Austria (Klagenfurt)

accim · 22 · 4516

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
My girlfriend and I went to Austria today, town Klagenfurt (it's approx 50 km from where we live) and of course, filmed few videos ;)

It's an interesting ride, lots of curves and going uphill and downhill. Some really nasty hills I must say. On the videos, they don't look as bad, but they are.. In winter, these roads are often closed, due to snow and ice on the road. You can also see  "border crossing" - ok there is no border like it was before, just a sign, you are entering new country (Austria). It's very interesting to drive fast on these roads, but I didn't want to film myself going too fast, so my driving was quite normal.

http://www.google.si/search?hl=sl&q=klagenfurt&um=1&ie=UTF

So, here's the video, I have few more to upload:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Ok, here's one more vid:

And here are few pics from Klagenfurt (the first one was taken at border crossing):

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Very nice!  :goodjob:

I'm glad you drove at a normal speed.....  :winker: :whistler:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great views .

I'm interested in the tunnel at the end of the first.

What's the story behind its construction and any vid going thro'
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Very interesting, I have not travelled in Austria for 40yrs or so, I remember it being a very beautiful place and your vid brought back some memories....    :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Great views .

I'm interested in the tunnel at the end of the first.

What's the story behind its construction and any vid going thro'

I can write some things about the tunnel, I have two more vids, but they are over 16 min, so I can't upload them to YouTube, without editing them. One video records the tunnel.

Ljubelj tunnel is the tunnel, which is located between Austria and Slovenia. The tunnel is also a border crossing. In year 1941, German occupying forces invaded to this area and between 1943-1944, 1000 prisoners of war (WW2), which were kept at "branch" of Mathausen concentration camp (Concentration Camp Ljubelj) and around 800 workers of company Universale dug 1,8 km long tunnel, which is still in use (the one on the vid and picutre below). The altitude of the tunnel is around 1000 m (I've read somewhere it's 1058 m, but don' know where).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/PredorLjubelj1.jpg

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the Info accim.. driving through tunnels makes quite a good video.. I got a bit of tunnel in one of mine (can't remember which one now!)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Loved the road and the countryside..... :goodjob:

Looks like another country to add to my list of "must do's" when I win Lotto....  :D

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In the first video - as you exited a tunnel at 5:16 did I see the red car in front of you throw up a fairly large stone which you can hear hit the car. If so - any damage done?.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In the first video - as you exited a tunnel at 5:16 did I see the red car in front of you throw up a fairly large stone which you can hear hit the car. If so - any damage done?.

Gee that was well spotted  :scared:

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
great video's and pic's accim.  :goodjob: 
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry accim.. until I looked at these properly on our big computer in my office I didn't realise this was a different thread than the one from the other day  :-[

The first video was good but for some reason the sound and picture were clearer in the 2nd one (I really enjoyed that) :goodjob: Like Trish said very pretty place..  :mrgreen:

You are a "lead foot" :lol: mind you that diesel rumble when you started climbing bought back some happy memories  :blubber: (goes really well for the the 90HP model)  :whistler:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
He he, thanks for the comments. AlanHo, well spotted, I agree. I'm nut sure weather it was a stone or something from the inside of that car - I can't tell it on the vid, but I think they threw something out through the window. I just know they were accelerating, while I was overtaking them  :rolleyes: I really hate that. But luckily, there was no damage to the car..

Dazz: If it was 90hp, I wouldn't be able to overtake :) Especially going uphill. Don't forget it was tuned to 115 hp (and approx 270-275Nm) when it had 5,000 km  :whistler:  I went two times before chip-tuning it over there and it wasn't a problem to drive, but there was no way I could overtake anyone. Especially at higher speed -> the speed where I was overtaking Passat was over 100 km/h. But my previous Accent (1.5 CRDI 110hp), which was tuned to approx 135-140hp, was a real rocket, comparing it to 90 or 115hp i30  ;) With that one, I was passing Audi A6 2.5 TDI, BMW 525d, BMW 528, and cars like that, when going up the worst climb  :whistler:

Anyways, there's also some old road on "Ljubelj" (close to the border crossing), where there are rally races with old timers every year.

I've found some picture gallery from the event in 2008 (not my pictures, though I was there once, but for a short time so didn't take any pics):
http://galerija.ljubelj.com/galerija/thumbnails.php?album=15&page=1

I guess this guy on the last pic has a spare head...beside the one below..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I guess this guy on the last pic has a spare head...beside the one below..

Before someone else says it .. "He must be from Tasmania..." :whistler:

I remembered you had a chip.. (certainly makes a difference  :goodjob:)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Superb thread Accim, I love the whole Alp experience, have spent many weeks working in the outskirts of Zurich and staying in Rapperswil, and also spent a week working in Balzers, just outside Vaduz in Liechtenstien.  We ate in a restaurant on the Liech/Austrian border one night, simply stunning landscapes :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
What I find interesting is, that many of you have been to all these places, that are really close to me, more than me. I have some catching up to do   :wink:

Oh and yes, thank for the comments  :cool:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Ok, one more video from that trip. Maybe you can see landscape better in this vid. Also nice car in front of me :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Loving the Videos accim.. the house at 1.36 is in a dangerous position.. Someone could easily slide or drive into it in the wet...

Those pillars at 6.00 are also a hazard (over here they would bave a guard rail to stop you hitting them...)

The car in front of you looked like a Chevrolet Corvette to me although a couple of European exotics has a similar rear...

Some lovely scenery and buildings again (The sort of stuff Trish and I really like)  :mrgreen:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great vid of the area. 

Just looks like Wales only difference is it is dry and driving on the right.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Thanks.

Yes, there are few houses very close to the road. The one at 1:36 is (I think) empty, so no harm can be done to people (not)living in there, but to the cars and passengers in the cars..it's a different story. And the steep on some parts of these roads is not a joke (around 17%, though it seems much more) - the border is at 1058 m. So, wet road or even icy road (though they do close the roads if there's a lot of ice/snow) isn't fun. Especially regarding the fact, buses also drive here..and quite fast I must say.

There's even better boarder crossing between Slovenia-Austria, it's called Korensko sedlo. And it's even steeper. I'll have to film that one too once. But without a rattle.

Pillars at 6:00. Yeah not so pleasant.

And yes, it was Chevy Corvette.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal