i30 Owners Club

Daytime running lamps

Offline oversc0re

• 1st Gear
Hello all!

I am thinking of making daytime running lights for I30. The idea is to create a led pannel and put it behind the grille where fog lights are supposed to be (if you don't decide to spare some money as I did  :)) I am planning to use 1W 80lm leds from china as they seem to have good price/performance ratio. I also have an idea to fill the pannel with more leds and turn them on as the stearing wheel turns for more than let's say 15 degrees (but that is a future future project since my free time is very limited now). I would like to know some opinions and suggestions on my idea and which placement (4 or 5 leds) do you prefer?

Regards,
over.

[deleted]

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Put 4 in first and see what it looks like for real, you can easily add the fifth one later.

Chinese 1W LEDs are generally good value for money, but make sure you buy from someone will will guarantee to ship ones all the same colour, as often they vary in colour. Buy a couple of spare ones too.

Also, if you wanted the genuine foglights for those holes (to which you could fit an LED cluster) then versions are available (at least here in the uk) for around £75 or $120US a pair on ebay.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i thought about putting the led's in a circle in the fog light holders a while ago,and that's as far as i got,just an idea.  :rolleyes: :lol:  if you do it, let us know how you did the job,I'm interested.  :razz: :cool:  there is a thread on led's on the forum from memory.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline oversc0re

• 1st Gear
Does anyone have some experience with disassembly of the fog light? Can it be put apart to insert the cluster and then back together?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
im not sure sorry.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I like the 5 best.. not a bad idea..

Over & out  :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Does anyone have some experience with disassembly of the fog light? Can it be put apart to insert the cluster and then back together?

I think they will be glued together like the headlights, and could be un-glued by baking them in the oven. You gotta be pretty brave to do this though. Thumper has a good thread somewhere on doing this.

However you can get LED cluster bulbs that are a direct replacement for the 881 bulbs and go into the holders provided. Note the bulb types and holders vary from country to country. they are 881 in the UK I know. The following is a link to illustrate whats available only, I dont advocate buying any from here, just the first page I found, there are much cheaper places:

http://www.4caroption.com/product_list.php?cid=13&cmid=&page=2&sort_by=alpha*asc

You have to be careful to make sure the bulbs will go throgh the hole and are not too fat.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm not sure if he's got fog lights,or just the blank plate.  :idea:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Pretty sure he only has the blank plate at the mo (just photoshopped the LEDs in)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline oversc0re

• 1st Gear

Pretty sure he only has the blank plate at the mo (just photoshopped the LEDs in)

Exactly. I was asking about disassembly in case a bought a pair of foglights from ebay. But i decided to go through with minimal costs, so i will try to do what I can from what I have :)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i think on the back of the blank plate there are clips or screws holding them on.  :idea: :P

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
yes there are 2 screws, i was looking at them on the weekend when i was fitting the air horns!

moxey
I really like the picture with the 4 leds i would like to do this too let us know how you get on GREAT IDEA :razz:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal