i30 Owners Club

Are OE twin horns fitted with a relay?

Paolo5 · 22 · 6749

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have a 1.6 litre diesel i30.

I have fitted some Hella Supertone horns in place of the original twin horns. The Hella instructions recommend fitting the relay that they supply in the kit.

Does anyone know if the original equipment twin horns have a relay already installed?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Does anyone know if the original equipment twin horns have a relay already installed?

Hi Paulo

I'm pretty sure the last time I looked there was a relay, protected by a 15A fuse, under the bonnet
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Indeed there is a relay and my vague memory says 20A fuse associated. A look in the handbook will say for sure.

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

And Shambles gets the prize, it's protected by a 15A fuse.

A quick google show paolo's horns to run at 11A max so all is good (but do check the specs on the supplied documenation).

what are they like Paolo, much louder than stock?

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi guys-
Thanks for that confirmation. I don't have to worry about more wiring now....

what are they like Paolo, much louder than stock?

Hi Lorian, there are many Youtubes on these horns-

is just one of them. The "before" sounds like a single horn but the "after" gives an idea of the penetration of these beauties.

In a word (or two) HELLa YEAH!!!!

Sorry...couldn't help myself there...

The fitting of the new horns was oh-so-easy. It just involved removing the top part of the grill (with the "H" on it)....unbolting the existing twin horns....bolting-in the new horns in the same place....cutting off the OE connector to each horn and fitting new individual connectors to each of the 4 wires. Then just stand back!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not being Mean but although it sounds different not necessarily better in my opinion..  :-\
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Think if I was gonna do it, I'd use air horns.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :whsaid: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Youtube clip doesn't really do them justice. I have had air horns on two previous cars. They both sounded great. The sounds from the individual trumpets blended to make a chord of types. Whilst they made a loud noise, the Hella ones (to me) have a much greater presence. It's the kind of sound that belongs to a much bigger, much less refined car....like a truck!!!!

These new horns are L-O-U-D and shrill! They are meant to sound at 118dB.

I don't think that the Hella ones sound better than the Hyundai ones but they certainly are much more penetrating...which is what I want when I need to hit the horn.

I love'em.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As long as you are happy Paolo  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
all mods are done to suit the owners wants,likes and dislikes.  :razz: each to their own.  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
15A fuse?

11A Horn?

I'd be splicing both the stock AND the new one. No chance a standard disc horn could draw 5A; maybe 1?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I wouldn't bother keeping the old ones personally, the new ones should easily drown them out, and unmountng them will give a little more for mounting the new ones.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just a thought..

How would one of each sound????

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm with the other guys, I'd rather a set of air horns...... :D

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
air horns and a stock horn is what i have...

sounds ok... i wish i got the expensive air horns tho... mine arent that loud after all they are mounted under the battery... its loud enough tho to get people attention!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm embarrassed to say I don't think I've ever actually sounded the horn in my car.... :-[

Pip
I'm embarrassed to say I don't think I've ever actually sounded the horn in my car.... :-[
I've tried a few times but the spring load is too strong and it never goes off!

I do have a pair of very loud horns from a Fiat that I've held for about 30 years waiting for a suitably worthy car. Those with acoustic knowledge will understand when I say these (two somewhat harmonically related to produce a lovely chord - although my musicion son tells me that two note chords are actually called "intervals") have actual horn loading with curled "trumpets" and are amazingly loud (from memory). From the two Fiat 125s (I also had two other Fiats) I saved the horns, some hub-caps and a grill emblem as mementos. Only the horns, I reckoned I'd actually use.

Unfortunately I think I've passed the time when blowing the horn seems necessary. Mind you if it was easy to press the bloody horn button I might decide I've finally found the car with which these tuneful jiggers ought be used. :wink: :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Mine is easy to press (as I frequently do)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I do have a pair of very loud horns from a Fiat that I've held for about 30 years waiting for a suitably worthy car. Those with acoustic knowledge will understand when I say these (two somewhat harmonically related to produce a lovely chord - although my musicion son tells me that two note chords are actually called "intervals") have actual horn loading with curled "trumpets" and are amazingly loud (from memory). From the two Fiat 125s (I also had two other Fiats) I saved the horns, some hub-caps and a grill emblem as mementos. Only the horns, I reckoned I'd actually use.

Unfortunately I think I've passed the time when blowing the horn seems necessary. Mind you if it was easy to press the bloody horn button I might decide I've finally found the car with which these tuneful jiggers ought be used. :wink: :lol:
Pip, please don't be offended by this as I've been guilty of it too. I find that in cars with air bags you have to be pretty precise about how you press the horn. It's not like older cars where there was a ring and/or the whole centre hub moves.
In any case, if I were you I'd stop somewhere and keep pressing parts of the hub until the horn goes off. Better to find it now rather than not be able to use the horn in anemergency (like saving some kid's life).

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
yer air bag cars can be hard to press... the springs are a lot tougher ect ect to handle the explosion!

i find just "tilting" or "tiping' it to the side with my thumb works quite well!

i.e just outstretching your thumb from the 3 o'clock position, pressing it so it dips in where your thumb would sit on the steering wheel and bingo it works :)

or just hitting it in a blind rage while yelling a massive stretch of expletives from the open drivers window, then trying to open the door while getting caught up in your own seatbelt... :o j/k guys ive gotten over my anger problems!!! i havent done that for years

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal