i30 Owners Club

RPM 1300 on stopping after throttle body cleaning

Offline AhmedIbrahim

• 1st Gear

• eg Egypt
      Egypt
RPM is 1300 after cleaning throttle body. The mechanic says I should buy new throttle body but I think it may needs only some kind of relearning but I don't know how.
  • own

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wlcome01: you could try an ecu/bcm reset by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a minimum of 30 minutes. It can't do any harm and may sort the issue.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I can't find a specific procedure but if the throttle body was pretty drity and after cleaning idle speed went up that likely normal. All I can refer this back to would be my old Mitsubishi. I don't think it ever went that high but I would simply park it and let idle with no other load on. The ECU would then gradually step it back down to the base idle speed. Could take up to half an hour.

If that does not work then you get a diagnostic and check the ISC operation because that is what bypasses the throttle body to control the idle speed.

you should tell us what motor this is as well.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline AhmedIbrahim

• 1st Gear

• eg Egypt
      Egypt

:wlcome01: you could try an ecu/bcm reset by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a minimum of 30 minutes. It can't do any harm and may sort the issue.
I'll try this today. Thanks a lot
  • own

Offline AhmedIbrahim

• 1st Gear

• eg Egypt
      Egypt
I can't find a specific procedure but if the throttle body was pretty drity and after cleaning idle speed went up that likely normal. All I can refer this back to would be my old Mitsubishi. I don't think it ever went that high but I would simply park it and let idle with no other load on. The ECU would then gradually step it back down to the base idle speed. Could take up to half an hour.

If that does not work then you get a diagnostic and check the ISC operation because that is what bypasses the throttle body to control the idle speed.

I will try this today. It's a 1600cc motor. I just installed it few days ago because the old one got damaged
  • own

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I will try this today. It's a 1600cc motor. I just installed it few days ago because the old one got damaged
But the high idle only happened after the throttle body clean not after the engine swap is that correct?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Does that mean you still have the old motor  like the old throttle body and other parts?

Offline AhmedIbrahim

• 1st Gear

• eg Egypt
      Egypt

But the high idle only happened after the throttle body clean not after the engine swap is that correct?
I installed the new engine and cleaned the throttle at the same time
  • own

Offline AhmedIbrahim

• 1st Gear

• eg Egypt
      Egypt
Does that mean you still have the old motor  like the old throttle body and other parts?
A new engine installed. I didn't change my old throttle. I'm sorry if I caused some confusion because of my English language
  • own

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I was just wondering old computer matched to old throttle body, but just realised this is cable operated throttle body. Is that correct or is the throttle electronic ?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As tw2005 mentioned, is it an electronic throttle body?

If electronic/flyby wire did you happen to push the butterfly open with your fingers while cleaning? I know I shouldn't assume :whistler: but I'm thinking if the butterfly has been manually turned from the inside there is a possibility the gear drive has skipped a tooth keeping the butterfly open further than the default idle position :undecided:

Offline AhmedIbrahim

• 1st Gear

• eg Egypt
      Egypt

I was just wondering old computer matched to old throttle body, but just realised this is cable operated throttle body. Is that correct or is the throttle electronic ?
It's cable operated
  • own

Offline AhmedIbrahim

• 1st Gear

• eg Egypt
      Egypt
As tw2005 mentioned, is it an electronic throttle body?

If electronic/flyby wire did you happen to push the butterfly open with your fingers while cleaning? I know I shouldn't assume :whistler: but I'm thinking if the butterfly has been manually turned from the inside there is a possibility the gear drive has skipped a tooth keeping the butterfly open further than the default idle position :undecided:
It's not electronic and I don't know about the cleaning procedure
  • own

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Im guessing that this is FD model?

Why did you change the motor?
Have you transferred a problem from old to new one?

Adjust cable so that it has no affect on throttle. What RPM do you get?
How did mechanic clean the body? Has he left 'cleaner' deposit on the Throttle position sensor?

There are other sensors that detect air flow and temperature, they affect fuel mixture etc. Make sure they are cleaned with correct cleaner. Mix too rich = high RPM.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal