i30 Owners Club

Autogrip Tyres

IJM67 · 17 · 7430

Offline IJM67

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Riding of Yorkshire
Just had my I30 Tourer returned from it's annual service and MOT.  It has been fitted with 2 new front tyres, the dealer has fitted what appear to be Autogrip tyres.  I have never heard of them.  Anyone got any info?  Considering getting rid of them and fitting Michelin CrossClimates and writing the cost of to experience.  Anyone got any comment.

Thanks in advance

Ian
  • Hyundai I30 Tourer Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Ian,

A quick search on google would suggest they are a very average chinese made tyre that comes from the same factory/maker as a lot of other obscure chinese brands. Some reasonable tyres are made in China for more reputable brands though...

Seems odd they just installed them without contacting you first! Can't imagine that happening in Australia very often! Can you see if they will swap them to your preferred tyre for an adjustment price? I certainly wouldn't cop it on the chin...  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Surely they phoned you before fitting tyres ???????    :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Auto Grip tyre reviews :link: Autogrip Tyres - Tyre Reviews

Autogrip tires are made by General Tire in Pretoria, South Africa. They are imported into the US, via a company called Delti.com out of the Netherlands. :link: Who makes autogrip tires

The company also has a Chinese plant (Qingdao's Fullrun Tyre Corp) to produce their tyres as well.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 13:29:21 by CraigB »

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
The reviews in the post above would leave me worried if a garage had fitted them to my car !  :sweating:

I have the Crossclimates fitted and like them very much. :)

Offline IJM67

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Riding of Yorkshire
The dealership did ring me to say I needed two new tyres and quoted me a price which I thought was reasonable and was expecting to have Hankooks fitted as that is what it came with.  In my defence at the time I was not quite with it as I was recovering from a severe lack of sleep due to attending a Cub Scout camp for the previous 2 days and my recollection of the phone call isn't that clear.  They also did the re-call on the rear callipers but I had to wait for the pars to be delivered.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The reviews in the post above would leave me worried if a garage had fitted them to my car !  :sweating:
Yeah, some of the sites/reviews I was looking at said they're only good to have some slippery fun on and shouldn't be used on the front end.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 14:53:49 by CraigB »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is this the 1st mot?

What mileage does the car have?

Before i put my car in for its mot i quickly check the obvious items like lights, brake light, wipers, washer and tyres.
Did you by chance check the tyre depth to the tread wear indicators?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline IJM67

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      East Riding of Yorkshire
It's the car's 2nd MOT.  It's only got 21,500 miles on it.  No I didn't check the tread depth but did everything else.  Apparently they had worn on the inner shoulders. 

I'm classing this as a lesson learnt.  Kwik fit are doing Michelin Cross climates cheaper than what the dealer quoted me.  Will be the last time I use them for tyres.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It's the car's 2nd MOT.  It's only got 21,500 miles on it.  No I didn't check the tread depth but did everything else.  Apparently they had worn on the inner shoulders. 

I'm classing this as a lesson learnt.  Kwik fit are doing Michelin Cross climates cheaper than what the dealer quoted me.  Will be the last time I use them for tyres.
Cheers
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Ian,

OK, that explains it! I've done some stupid things when lacking in sleep (been married 3 times)  :crazy1:

I'd try selling those Tarzan's grip tyres to somebody you don't like very much.. :snigger:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Ian,

OK, that explains it! I've done some stupid things when lacking in sleep (been married 3 times)  :crazy1:

I'd try selling those Tarzan's grip tyres to somebody you don't like very much.. :snigger:
Dazz, I think Tarzan s Grip was an Australian product.  Might not translate too well.
Tarzans Grip was/ is like Selleys Kwik Grip.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Ian,

Im wondering what stupid thing you did from lack of sleep that caused you to get married. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:link: WebsterWorld - Online Encyclopedia - Australian Encyclopedia - World Encyclopedia - Education Resource - WebsterWorld

I was right. Developed in 1935. Look under the science heading.
But this page is a good read anyway.

Trivia bit. The Tarzan's Grip guy owned a motel in Coolangatta called Tarzana when I was a kid.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Ian,

Im wondering what stupid thing you did from lack of sleep that caused you to get married. :snigger:

Yeah, one of them was because of "that" by coincidence it was related to "rubber" too.. :head_butt:

P.S. Thanks Trevor...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would be throwing them in the back and taking them back to the dealer and saying for the price they quoted you exected OEM tyres, not dodgy Chinease rubbish. When they argue ask them if they fit non genuine filters etc.

What's the worst that can happen?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I would be throwing them in the back and taking them back to the dealer and saying for the price they quoted you expected OEM tyres, not dodgy Chinese rubbish. When they argue ask them if they fit non genuine filters etc.

What's the worst that can happen?

:Agoodpost: :agoodidea:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal