Injector cleaners

Ogi · 10 · 6732

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Hi !!

Do you have any experience with the injector cleaner additives?

Opinions are divided, some say it's good to use it, some it is not, that you can make even worse problem and if everything is working fine then don't use it.

What do you think ? Is it ok to use it in a relatively new car, 17,5k km, such as mine, with no problems? I have to stress that the fuel in Serbia is just terrible (i'm talking petrol).

What brand do you suggest ?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I use this whenever I fill up with cheap supermarket diesel:

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_FUEL.htm

I think it might still be called under its old name in some countries (power sport 4).

They do of course make a petrol version too, but I've not used it:

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_FUEL.htm

Offline Ogi

• 3rd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

• Belgrade, Serbia
Hmm, never heard of that one.

We have Liqui Moly, STP, Wurth, Motul, Valvoline and many else,  but not this one...

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Very few of them will hurt the car, but a lot of them won't do anything either. If the fuel in Serbia is bad, they might well equip cars going to that market with extra fuel filtration to help cope with it. They do that with the diesels in Australia, for instance.

It also depends what's bad about the fuel. If you look at the ingredients of many of the additives I find it hard to see what they're really going to do - and I've never personally seen one solve a problem. Some people say that the car runs better after being treated but that might be a placebo as much as anything. I think most independent tests show little improvement from using those products.

Some people swear by them though. If you want to use one, just make sure it's from a big brand that will stand behind the product - because if anything goes wrong and it can be put down to an additive you have put in the car, Hyundai will not warrant it.

In Australia, Hyundai offer a genuine-branded fuel additive which I use just because I'm a total stickler for maintenance. I haven't noticed any difference though. I also believe it's a product of the local distributor's arrangements with Shell so probably not available overseas.

I used to use a product called Diesel Power in my old Mercedes 300D, and despite running on some pretty crappy fuel it never even looked like having a fuel system problem. Mind you, I think you could back a 300D in to the Gulf of Mexico and it'd run on what's floating around in there. I think Diesel Power is an Australian product too so may not be available overseas.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Really is GR8 to have you back Michael (and I get the feeling you're enjoying it too..)

Little Getz looks good in Avatar and I like the black wheels with the red (nice!)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Thanks Dazz, yes it is great to be back. You don't realise how much you take normalcy for granted until it's gone. All this i30 talk is making me miss Crystal though!

Yeah, Courtney looks nice, she's got a lot of stuff done and I'm really very happy with her. Getzes aren't great cars in the way i30s are but I find they have a whole lot of charm.  :cool:

When I get a chance I'll take some proper pics of her and make a thread somewhere with all the stuff I've done for you guys to delete.  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...I'll take some proper pics of her and make a thread somewhere with all the stuff I've done for you guys to delete.  :lol:

AS IF :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I always felt that using an injector cleaning fuel additive was a worthwhile insurance on the basis that prevention is better than cure. I know some people who use a 98 octane fuel once every couple of months which does the same thing.

Where I work sometimes they use the rail injection cleaning system at certain services.

This link to a fact sheet put out by the RACQ (Qld motoring body) has some good tips and explains it in much more clear detail than I ever could.

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/injector_cleaning

I do know this, though. A little while back I drove my wife's Corolla and on a steady throttle it was "hunting" a bit. I drove it again a week later and it was still doing it so I tossed in some STP Injector Cleaner at the next fill up and it's been running as smooth as silk since (well, from about a week later).
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Here BP ultimate 98, Caltex vortex 98 & mobil 98 all have same aditive to keep injectors clean.
i got to look in a few motors that ran soly on BP 98 and no carbon build up even on valves, plugs were clean too. so thats all i ever use in my ute. so if you do a google and can find out what they add to BP ultimate to keep injectors clean see if you can get that it works. we lifted the head off two motors to look. one had 350,000k it was a YEAR 2000 305 5L windsor V8 my friend took motor out to put a new motor he built in and we pulled old motor apart to inspect . he also dynoed it on his Engine dyno, it was a Tickford pursuit motor still made 200KW with 350,000k up thats 300HP @ flywheel and no carbon in combussion chamber, injectors clean too. so must work

Offline Pol1on1

• 2nd Gear
well think back to basic and think of how the motor works now what cloges up the spark plugs, injectors, head, eta  :eek:

now mosts cleaners have; naphtha, petroleum, hydrodesulfurised heavy  :cool:

Naphtha is used primarily for producing high octane gasoline the rest is uni high chemistry but the rest means somthing like convert the lower octane naphtha to a higher octane product called reformate
now i have some what higher chemistry them avrage joe  :razz:
but what this all mean is higher overall temp at flash point so it removes the carbon biuld up and beter running but so small that you can hardly feel it

overall you better of time 2 time with 98RON or highest octane you can get but dont go over 100octane too hot and racing cars use that but their motor is not standard!!!! :eek:
if you have petrol, change your fuel filter more oftern  their cheap  :lol:
and diesel use time 2 time premium diesel   :razz:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal