i30 Owners Club

ESP turns off

Offline umbro

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Romania
I have 1.6 petrol i30 2008 and have some problems with esp randomly turning off, can`t be turned back on using the esp button, only after restarting engine. After several weeks of trying to replicate the problem to a specific state, i finally found out when it turn off. It turns off when lifting the foot of the brake pedal after i press it all the way down, regrdless of vehicle state ( driving or stationary). And is not just the indication, esp really turns off, tested it. Any ideea if there are some easy things to check?

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, Are all brake lights coming on when the pedal is pressed? In our 2010 model ( same shape) the brake switch has two circuits in the same switch, one controls the normal outside pair of lights and the other controls the center brake light.  If both outer bulbs are blown the cars computer cannot see the circuit connection, and turns off esp. If the switch is faulty and the center light comes on later than expected or not at all, the cruise control will not engage and the "esp off" light would come on. In Australia we had a recall on the faulty switch. Our "esp off" light would come on for me around long curves, as I was using the brakes to control speed.

Offline umbro

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Romania
Center brake light is ok, side brake lights are ok on both filaments. What i noticed is that brake lights turns on kind of late related to pedal pressing, i had someone stand behind the car while slowly pressing the pedal to tell me when they are on, and the amount of press i made before the lights turn on, doesn't seem ok to me, i normally do light brakeing at that amount of pedal press, anyway, i will take the switch out and test continuity and clean it a little to see if it stops the problem. Also i don't have cruise control and it's a manual 5 speed.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
... i will take the switch out and test continuity and clean it a little to see if it stops the problem.
The switch mount may be threaded to allow you to adjust how soon it activates. Even if it isn't, don't be afraid to supplement its mounting to achieve a better outcome.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal