i30 Owners Club

Ultragauge for CRDi Auto?

Offline escusemay

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hey everyone

Thinking of getting an Ultragauge for my 2011 CRDi auto. I've read previously there were issues with the CRDi automatics giving inaccurate L/100KM readings when you switch on the air con. Has this been resolved or will it be an issue that's ongoing?

Thanks!
  • i30

ouri30
Hey everyone

Thinking of getting an Ultragauge for my 2011 CRDi auto. I've read previously there were issues with the CRDi automatics giving inaccurate L/100KM readings when you switch on the air con. Has this been resolved or will it be an issue that's ongoing?

Thanks!

I have a Scanguage II and I may well have been the first to have mentioned this back in 2008 having made the discovery myself.  I assume this is still the situation although I haven't experimented with the CRDi in the GD model.

What I did was to find two calibration settings, one with A/C and one without.  I wasn't interested in the average consumption as I had an SLX and had this on the trip computer anyway.  What I wanted was real time fuel consumption readings.  While I did establish these I can't recollect what they were.  In the end, if I wanted to drive economically, I displayed the MAP (manifold air pressure or turbo pressure) and drove with this as low as possible.  For those that can remember the vacuum economy gauges fitted to older petrol vehicles, the principal would be similar.

Having said that, the Ultragauge, which I do not have any experience with, may well be fine with the CRDi.  I have on order a WiFi ODB2 device and will experiment with this myself in the next month using iPhone/iPad apps.

I don't think I have helped you a lot.  Hope you find my thoughts and info helpful.

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
I have an ultra gauge fitted to my partners 2012 CRDI auto that's has the Average fuel consumption as part of trip computer. I found only a very minimal difference between what the car was reading and what the ultra gauge was reading. Not enough to stress about. Good mate also has one fitted to his   2012 diesel forrester and again. No significant difference when runnin A/C

Offline escusemay

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for the replies. Might go ahead and order one soon. Sux that the base model doesn't have it. Even my 2004 Toyota Avalon has one!
  • i30

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
Yes I agree, while the partner got the SLX version of my 08/9 CRDI I got the base sx. Ultra gauge works a treat

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Sux that the base model doesn't have it. Even my 2004 Toyota Avalon has one!

:eek:

I can't help but laugh when I see people expecting all the bells and whistles that a more upmarket car has in what is basically a budget car....  :undecided:  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I enjoyed gradually kitting out my VH Commodore from SL to SL/E trim with all the gadgets, just because the blanks and connectors were all there waiting for me to fill them with home-made solutions. That one was a 173 Blue motor with 5 speed box - quite feisty for its size.  :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I liked the old VH....shame it was let down by the agricultural engine & gearbox....  :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I liked the old VH....shame it was let down by the agricultural engine & gearbox....  :undecided:
No problem for me, Rusty, I only drove it in the city.  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Not so far to walk to public transport then?  :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Funny you mention engine and gearbox. I always thought the Borg Warner was OK and I'd heard a lot of Celica drivers used them as well. Then again, I ran that car into the ground over 18 years - including weekend runs between Adelaide and Melbourne for a solid 18 months - and when it did stop it was from a gearbox jumping and jittering from all the loose swath in the gear teeth.  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I had the 4 speed manual which apparently had a reputation for being fragile.....  :undecided:

The blue 3.3 engine was a pain, it did nothing but ping and the only way I could reduce it was to alter the timing...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I had the 4 speed manual which apparently had a reputation for being fragile.....  :undecided:

Was that the Opel Gearbox Rusty .. Mine was like stirring porridge (In my 2250cc LC Torana)

On a side note  2250cc = 137 CI (that is a funny size?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Was that the Opel Gearbox Rusty .. Mine was like stirring porridge (In my 2250cc LC Torana)

Not sure, Daz...all I remember is that they were built in Asia.... :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yeah, my blue 173 was a 2850 and the red 202 in the HQ before that was a 3.3. Funny how the numbers stay with us throughout that conversion era.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
This Ultragauge gadget intrugues me.

Where can I purchase one of these here in Oz?
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal