Engines??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
LDL, are you a rotary man?  
very complicated to really explaine power, it's more to do with the quality of the power. also just knowing what HP or KW a motor makes @ the flywheel from a test on a similar motor and the factory does not realy tell you much. that's why i look at what Torque the same motor puts  out & at what rev it starts making the Torque at and how long it holds the Torque for. like diesel's make Torque early but it also falls off early so waist of time reving a diesel.
I have used Dyno's over the years and then have gone to the track and raced the same motor and got a computer time slip to show how long it took to cover the first 60ft, then how long to cover the first 330ft then 660ft and what speed i was doing @ 660ft the 1,000ft them quarter mile and what speed after quarter mile.
sometimes i would tune for all out power. i would go to track and all i saw was i got to a higher speed at end of a quarter mile but i did not get to the speed in a shorter time span took me just as long to cover quarter mile as it did with less HP.
then i would go back and instead of just going for all out HP and runing the graph on a RPM i would do a timmed Dyno run where the dyno times how long it took to make so much HP & so much TQ. i would just give it three pulls on the dyno to get a base line reading as i last raced with but timmed, then i would make adjustments to the tune to see if i could get more TQ & more HP to come in at less than 4seconds wide open throtle if i saw a big gain in HP & TQ in less than 4 seconds WOT compared with my last tune but in total less HP than i now had but not timmed HP. i would go to the track and do a quicker time and faster half track speed. so i put this down to Quality of the power and TQ.
hard to explain  cheers

Lakes, I'm not a rotary man at all, they have their place as a derivative of the internal combustion engine, I've heard you can rebuild one with a 12mm spanner and a wheel brace, but they are not my cup of tea.  Apex seals, peripheral ports - too much like black magic to me.  But they are perfect to use as an extreme of my power vs torque example.

I understand exactly what you are talking about with the engine tunes....  I think what you are talking about is pretty much the same as what I was saying about the area under the power curve ??  :question:

are you a rotary man?  

Does anyone remember the wankle engine?

(The engine was invented by German engineer Felix Wankel)

Mazda still make them today - in the RX-8  Renesis engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Wankel_engine

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
LDL, i'm the same, i have never worried much about them.
my brother in law sold them new at one time and gave me a drive of some, they reved high but no TQ, also as they work something like a two stroke almost, they were never good for economy. if they were more fuel efficent they might have become more popular as simple design and very light.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal