i30 Owners Club

MOT Emissions Fail!

Twempie · 21 · 6570

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Took my 2009 1.6 diesel estate for an MOT today and it failed the smoke emission test. It was re-tested immediately afterwards (having also failed as a bulb in the side light needed replaced) but passed albeit by a small margin. I have to say this was a surprise on a four-year old 50K car that was only serviced at the dealer six weeks ago. I should also add that the car does twon 20-mile dual carriageway runs on my journey to and from work Mon-Fri most weeks. Have any other members had a similar experience at testing time?
Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Maybe there is a glow plug issue ? :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Took my 2009 1.6 diesel estate for an MOT today and it failed the smoke emission test. It was re-tested immediately afterwards (having also failed as a bulb in the side light needed replaced) but passed albeit by a small margin. I have to say this was a surprise on a four-year old 50K car that was only serviced at the dealer six weeks ago. I should also add that the car does twon 20-mile dual carriageway runs on my journey to and from work Mon-Fri most weeks. Have any other members had a similar experience at testing time?
Cheers

So, you clearly in the UK (MOT).   Was it being MOT'd at the dealership?   IF so then if they're failing it, does this reflect the quality of their service???   I don't recall anyone mentioning the same sort of issue.

:Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Thanks Dazzler. I didn't get to speak to the technician for an explanation as I had to get straight back to work.  It just seemed odd that a well-maintained not-particularly-old vehicle should fail and then only just pass. I guess the service wouldn't have picked up a glow plug issue. 

At the end of the day I suppose it passed and I  still have  the last year of the warranty remaining. To be honest I'm wondering if it is time to change the car although I had bought it thinking it would be a 'keeper'.
Cheers

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Cheers

So, you clearly in the UK (MOT).   Was it being MOT'd at the dealership?   IF so then if they're failing it, does this reflect the quality of their service???   I don't recall anyone mentioning the same sort of issue.

:Shocked: :Shocked:
Thanks Asa. Yes - dealer serviced. Had I suspected a fail I would have tried using an engine cleaning additive beforehand.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm wondering if it is time to change the car although I had bought it thinking it would be a 'keeper'.
Cheers

If the Dealer is helpful with the issue and gets it sorted rather than giving you the runaround I would be tempted to keep it (unless it has been a lemon) The FD is mostly a reliable car.

Mind you I swap cars like i swap my undies so who am I to judge. But a good FD i30 CRDi leaves fairly big shoes to fill!  :mrgreen:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'd be back to dealer to ask them to look at this.

Next year it will probably fail again and you will be out of warranty.

Ps
You should have received a sheet giving the details etc.

Has the machine been calibrated correctly?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :eek: :Shocked:

Mind you I swap cars like i swap my undies so who am I to judge. But a good FD i30 CRDi leaves fairly big shoes to fill!  :mrgreen:

MUST be time for a new Hybrid, Dazz.  :p

@twempie

Obviously, pre DPF model I presume, but there should not be any significant smoke, so while in warranty, have someone observe the smoke and then report to dealer to sort.

My daughter's 2008 model does not smoke at all on startup now, this is after replacement of ALL injectors and glow plugs (warranty job).
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice guys. Will phone the dealer and ask for more details. The only info I have are the two test certificates (the fail and the eventual pass) plus the machine readings.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I'm wondering if it is time to change the car although I had bought it thinking it would be a 'keeper'.
Cheers

If the Dealer is helpful with the issue and gets it sorted rather than giving you the runaround I would be tempted to keep it (unless it has been a lemon) The FD is mostly a reliable car.

So, Dazzler, you change your undies AND your shoes when you buy a new car?
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Twempie
The only info I have are the two test certificates (the fail and the eventual pass) plus the machine readings.
Don't rule out the possibility that their machine may be faulty and requires recalibrating.

(EDIT: just noticed that eye30 mentioned this)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Wittendorff
Hi.

4 Years and 50k's is not much for a diesel. This compared to ECO driving to sode (not sure this is the right Word, used Google translate).
I am quite sure that if you give a good beating on the motorway for half an hour, the emissions will be just fine.

/Jakob

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi.

4 Years and 50k's is not much for a diesel. This compared to ECO driving to sode (not sure this is the right Word, used Google translate).
I am quite sure that if you give a good beating on the motorway for half an hour, the emissions will be just fine.

/Jakob

Agree with Jakob

Take it out for a spin and keep the revs at 2500 + for at least 15 mins and make some accelerations where you floor it.

The glow plugs will have no effect on the MOT, as the emission test should be performed when engine is at operating temperature. Glow plugs is only used to preheat the engine at start up.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Thanks again guys. I tend to drive conservatively when travelling to work(60 -70 mph) without really working the engine as I try to eke out the mpg. The engine normally runs at around 200 rpm. I will take your advice and give it a good sustained belt from time to time at 2500 revs. The other thing that I noticed was that they didn't run the test until 45 minutes after I'd dropped the car off although it had a good 25 minute run beforehand. Maybe the engine wasn't at its proper operating temperature?

On a related topic would anyone recommend using Redex diesel engine cleaner every now and then?

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
200 RPM....? Really? Or 2000?
I'd be careful with additives unless you can be certain there will be no negative impact on the fuel and exhaust system. Amongst the FIAT community the term is "Italian Tune Up"

Give it some revs!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Like has been said a good run down the motorwaythen test it.
also could be fuel you use , but a run down motorway would work as the motor runs rich when cold & the catalist works better when it gets hotter.

Offline bryand

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Loughborough
My old Volvo needed a new clutch before its last MOT, and as I'd been nursing it before the clutch change, I asked the dealer to give it a thrashing before the MOT test.  They didn't realize I had a Roadhawk video recorder in the car, which logged the
technicians at 101 MPH.
It passed its MOT emissions test.
  • 2011 FD i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My old Volvo needed a new clutch before its last MOT, and as I'd been nursing it before the clutch change, I asked the dealer to give it a thrashing before the MOT test.  They didn't realize I had a Roadhawk video recorder in the car, which logged the
technicians at 101 MPH.
It passed its MOT emissions test.

Who will be liable for any speeding fines??  :Shocked:

A little story about another fast drive in a Volvo (the names have been changed to protect the innocent)  :whistler:

When I some guy I know was about 19 or 20 my some guy I know's Stepdad had a Volvo dealership (so about 38 years ago) and I  he was asked to ferry a fuel injected 140 or 240 series sedan to Devonport from Launceston (about 100 kms) in an hour or less... So being before speed cameras I he went pretty much flat out (doing 100+ miles an hour wherever I he could) I he got there in good time  :D

A few weeks later they asked me him if I he had flogged it a bit because the new motor they had put in was playing up  :oops: (I he wasn't told to nurse it)  :head_butt:   

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
How did you he reply. :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

How did you he reply. :question:
apparently he said.. "well you did tell me I had a deadline to meet. And nobody said to drive gently" :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal