i30 Owners Club

engine maintainace light on - save to drive?

mystyc · 8 · 2522

Offline mystyc

• 2nd Gear
HI All,

Phone call from the wife today to say the engine maintainace light has come on the dash (1.6 D 115bhp). This co-incided with a distinct lack of power when trying to accelerate onto the motorway.

She is facing a 50 mile drive home from work, but the engine seems to be running ok just lacking oomph. The engine light is not flashing. So any lasting damage likely if she drives it home (to the dealer) tonight at a steady pace?

Sounds suspiciously like it might be a clogged EGR valve in the turbo but any thoughts from experts welcomedwelcomed....

One suspect the dealer will wriggle out of trying to do anything under warranty (3 months left) so this may become expensive... :Shocked:

thanks all!

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Sounds like Limp Home Mode.
I would not want to drive 50 miles with no acceleration etc.
Can someone check fault codes with a Scangauge ?

Offline mystyc

• 2nd Gear
not where she works unfortunatly.... (very rural)

it will cruise at 50 to 60 no probs. its just when she puts her foot down hard that nothing happens, presumably becuase the turbo won't spin up.  Had a similar issue on a diesal astra a few years ago.....

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes I had a similar experience a couple fo years ago with one of mine,split intercooler hose(one you couldn't see easily),I could get the light and the power back by pulling up and shutting down,but it wouldn't last long maybe ten minutes max,once the hose was replaced problem solved,but funnily enough,when they were test driving the car before ltting me pick it up the electric power steering shat itself,so no argument they had it for a few more days to get that sorted  :happydance:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Is that on the flat, uphill or down ?

If uphill, it doesn't sound like LHM.

Offline mystyc

• 2nd Gear
On a very slight upwards  incline was when it first became apprent, when she tried to join a motorway from a slip road and get past a truck. I think she was proably pusihing it pretty hard in fourth...., pulled out from behind the truck, foot down and nothing and the light came on....

I have told her slowly and steady on the way home.....!!

I geuss we'll see what the fault diagnosis chucks up on friday, when hyunadi charge me 150 quid to plug a computer into it...... :Shocked:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

If still Warranty covered surely no charge.
A Scangauge (from Amazon) only costs £15.00 - keep it in the glovebox....

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
If still Warranty covered surely no charge.
A Scangauge (from Amazon) only costs £15.00 - keep it in the glovebox....

This is Hyundai you taalking about,yes those scan gauges are good bought one not so long ago.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal