i30 Owners Club

Fd i30 auto crdi stalling

Offline Lil eeyore

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi guys my i30 stalls every now and then especially after taking off from the traffic lights it's a real nuisance  when you are in peak hour traffic. Then it won't start unless I take the key out then put it back in and retry it. Help
  • Fd i30 cw 1.6l diesel auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If you're in warranty, take it to your dealer.

You haven't mentioned how often this is happening. Sometimes a battery disconnect for at least 30 minutes can reset the ECU. Disconnect the -lead only.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Unusual for a Diesel to stall (Fuel bug maybe?) :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Be just about out of Warranty Phil it's 2009,check all the electrical connections on the air sensor,could even possibly be a cracked air sensor,are you using Hyundai fuel filter or a cheap one,so many things it could be,but I would start with the wiring on the air sendor,just above and to the right of the oil filter
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Be just about out of Warranty Phil it's 2009

Surely that depends on when it was bought in 2009, wouldn't it Rick?  :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Be just about out of Warranty Phil it's 2009

Surely that depends on when it was bought in 2009, wouldn't it Rick?  :undecided:
well this is true,but with the popularity of these cars right from their beginnings in 2007-8 everyone I have spoken to, who even then bought them new,had to wait to take delivery of their cars,so on that assumption it would be reliant on whether it was bought early in the year or late,don't you just love speculation and assumption  :whistler:  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Lil eeyore

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
It isn't in warranty. I've taken it to 2 hyundai dealerships and one said it was the injector seals and the other said it was a kink in the fuel lines and the fuel filter all of which have now been replaced. It happens one or twice a week and there is no warning signs like it just cuts of. And even with the fuel filter being replaced and the injector seals and the fuel lines it continues to happen. And I only use premium diesel.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Unfortunately, due to the two widely varying "reasons" given by the 2 dealerships, I wouldn't place too much credibility on either of them being correct.

I assume that the car is performing normally with power and speed when it does run. Is there any smoke on 1st start up, if so, black or white. Do you know the car's history. Now many kms has it traveled.

Sorry about the questions, but the more info you provide, the better chance we can help you here.

Offline Lil eeyore

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
That's ok the car has done 101 689 km it has been serviced every 10000 km and every 6 months. My family have been VIP customers with hyundai since 1995 when my mother got her x3 excel but now has i30 slx diesel manual hatch as did my sister but she has now upgraded to the gd i30 sr and we have always been looked after. The car was at both dealerships for 2 weeks and it seemed to be fixed for a month then started to happen again. The car did start to blow lots of white smoke on start up but my system had the same problem previously on her fd i30 hatch manual and new it was the glow plug fuse and we got that replaced. Now if I don't wait for the glowplugs to warm up yes it blows a small amount of white smoke but I always let the plugs warm before I start it. It has great power and speed when running and even flogs my mums manual which is uncommon for an auto diesel of the same type

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
1st question.

Where are the memberships for your mother and sister ?  :foottap: :lol:

Well, as you say the car has plenty of power, we can rule out fuel obstruction, clogged filter and I hope, Diesel bug, which can reduce engine power and cause engine cut out. This means that 1 Hy dealer was way off the mark with their diagnosis.  :eek:

You mention that you have to remove the key, in order to restart the car. This is a clue, I think. Have you tried your second key for a week or so, to see if the problem disappears. If you have and the problem is still there, then we can rule out keys and their batteries. I would then be suspicious about the workings of the car anti theft system. I think there is an antenna in the steering wheel area which could be a bit sus. I assume you have had no trouble locking / unlocking your car.

Offline Lil eeyore

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
1st question.

Where are the memberships for your mother and sister ?  :foottap: :lol:

Well, as you say the car has plenty of power, we can rule out fuel obstruction, clogged filter and I hope, Diesel bug, which can reduce engine power and cause engine cut out. This means that 1 Hy dealer was way off the mark with their diagnosis.  :eek:

You mention that you have to remove the key, in order to restart the car. This is a clue, I think. Have you tried your second key for a week or so, to see if the problem disappears. If you have and the problem is still there, then we can rule out keys and their batteries. I would then be suspicious about the workings of the car anti theft system. I think there is an antenna in the steering wheel area which could be a bit sus. I assume you have had no trouble locking / unlocking your car.

I'm not quite sure but every time either myself or my mum calls to service either car we are told we are listed a VIPs in the data base and that is nation wide aswell. There is nothing wrong with my keys and I don't have any problems locking and unlocking the car. The fuel tank and fuel lines have been flushed and my filter was replaced so I'm guessing that definitely rules out diesel bug. I did here once from a mechanic that there is a risk of damaging either your fuel rail or injectors if you pull the injectors of and they replaced my injector seals could this be true with my problem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Sorry lil e', the memberships I was referring to were for this forum, not Hy VIP's.

Damage to fuel lines would only occur if the proper dismantling procedure was not followed. I'm sure Hy techs are well trained in this area.

Can you confirm that you have used both keys AND the engine has still stalled. Can you confirm when the injector seals were replaced that the injectors were tested for correct operation.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I have already said it,Mine was doing the same thing,under power at the worse time it would stall,but I did not have to take the key out,just turn it to the off position until the air sensor reset itself(you could actually hear the sensor reset a faint click),took them a couple of times to find it,this could possibly be your problem,as a cracked or poorly connected air sensor will give you the intermittent problem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't remember this Rick-p, I remember the split intercooler pipe. You certainly could be on the money though.

Offline Lil eeyore

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Im not sure what my mbership is here i cant remember i joined last year but dont rember what membership i did. It has stalled using both keys and the injected seals were replaced in August 2013. My last resource was to come here and post a forum. I could try the air sensor cause it could be that. This is the first major problem I've had with a hyundai ever and have always trusted them so It is so frustrating when it happens because I've know hyundai to be reliable dispute what others may say. I have a much higher respect for hyundai then I do from toyota. No offence to any one who owns a toy but they just are too basic. They bring the new corolla out in the standard 1.8 they have always done. No tdi. But that's a different issue thanks guys for your help ill try to do most of your suggestions

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for the info, hope we have helped in some small way. Please keep us informed of any developments.

Yes, they are good cars, we have 2 CRDi autos in our stable.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
we have 2 CRDi autos in our stable.

and he gets "horse" singing their praises :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol: :lol: :goodjob2:

Offline hugo

• 1st Gear
hyundai can put a longer time in the encoder timer so you don't need to play with the key

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal