• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Pin is not the problem.
Pin location is the problem.
I believe the FD key has the roll pin on opposite side of the blade (picture is of my MD key) over time turning ignition on and off a crack forms from pin to edge parallel to the key blade if that makes sense.
Not common. Seen mostly on company vehicles that are turned on and off a bunch of times everyday.

Damn you, Cruiser.  :P  Now I had to check my key and it seems like there's a crack developing...  :blubber:

Only on the 1 side, but how long before the other side is affected as well.. :question: Hmm, might be time to put this one aside as the spare key and then use the other one (the Wife's) as it looks like not much used at all.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
No warranty I'm guessing?
Edit: Never mind just checked your vehicle details. You'll have to go easy on that one if it is indeed a crack.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
No warranty I'm guessing?
Edit: Never mind just checked your vehicle details. You'll have to go easy on that one if it is indeed a crack.

:mrgreen:

No. We didn't get the 5 year warranty here in DK before 2011, Until then it was only 3 years, so when I bought my i30 @ 3,5 years old the warranty had already expired.

But thanks for the info, now I will put it aside and use the other key.  :happydance:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Buy a replacement housing, I have one on the way before this thread was started only a few bucks, too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Thanks for all this info.
Both my keys are in use, and both sides have cracked.
Also, my Wife's i20 key, both sides have cracked.
Wouldn't want her stranded at side of road  :whistler:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Wouldn't want her stranded at side of road  :whistler:
:snigger:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Have just checked the unused spare i20 key (still in Hyundai bag).
It HAS also cracked - I think the metal is too thin at that point, and the insertion of the roll pin must create an original crack.
So, it's 4 out of 4 keys.
Hyundai must surely know this problem, but chooses not to publicise.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
The spare key that came with my i30 had a loose blade because of a missing pin, but the dealer had it fixed before I took delivery.

It is still wonky but it works and as it is only a spare I don't worry too much about it. I checked my original key now and it too has a hairline crack :(
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just checked my daily use key. It's fine. I'll check the spare tomorrow.
Might check my daughter's keys , too.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Please don't confuse the moulding line some have in the same area with a crack.
Like I said its normally seen on high use vehicles. I would be surprised if a new key was cracked.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

@ Cruiserfied.

No, I've looked under a scientific microscope, crack goes right through.....

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Fair enough then :)
Tomorrow, I'll get 2 laser cut spare keys made.
Great Forum for info. Often wished the Mercedes & Jaguar Forums were as helpful & friendly as this.
But then I'd be all day on car Forums :(

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

• 47b Hadrian's Wall, Cumbria, England
Sherioushly sherioushly: big thanks, as ever, to everyone here -- I hope I wasn't being too alarmist but it was a worrying experience, especially bearing in mind that our i30 isn't used a lot (we're both retired and we're both away a lot, so the car is sometimes in our garage for long periods: it's not as though its low mileage is attributable to short journeys every day, each of which stresses the ignition key.) Not being the brightest of bulbs in anyone's illuminations, I was too dim to notice that my original query -- about obtaining a non-remote key -- had been answered earlier on. Doh. Now I see there've been subsequent references to acquiring an alternative to the remote -- so, bearing in mind my absence of enlightened thought, I'd be INCREDIBLY grateful for an answer to the following:

My two-piece remote key is now safely wrapped up, pending us taking it to the dealership in a week to 10 days' time by which date they say the new replacement remote should've arrived in stock. Meantime, we're using the spare remote. The dealership says it has to spend a little time programming the replacement key; it also says it has to have the busted key because it's a warranty claim. Fair enough. What Mrs F and I were wondering was . . .

Before returning the broken key to Hyundai, could we not just pop along to our nearest key maker person (whatever they're called) and ask for the undamaged blade to be copied and set into a new, simple, non-remote fob?

Against that stunning originality of thought, however, is this business of "programming", because does it mean that a new key created now, to work now, would cease to work after whatever it is the dealer is going to do in a week or so's time???

Help appreciated. Mrs F is still saying we should buy a tandem because you just get on 'em and pedal and, after hearing about what MikeSX said, not only are there no doors to worry about, they're in permanent drop-head mode.

• i30 Estate Premium Diesel 112PS 2010 model

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Sherioushly sherioushly:, could we not just pop along to our nearest key maker person (whatever
Seems you've had a drop of pop as well (Me - Stakes Hampshire).
I'm having some non coded keys cut tomorrow for the Merc., you're probably correct; it's not that simple for the i30's.
Someone, more knowledgeable than I, may hopefully advise us  :)

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
When i had my key replaced under warranty it took less than 10 minutes to reprogramme unless you are shambles and it took 3 days!

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Before returning the broken key to Hyundai, could we not just pop along to our nearest key maker person (whatever they're called) and ask for the undamaged blade to be copied and set into a new, simple, non-remote fob?

My local Sainsburys has a key cutting and cobblers within the store, they advertise CAR KEY cutting.   If I wanted a non transponder key cutting that would be my first stop on the assumption that they lad behind the counter would have a rough idea what he was doing  :happydance: :happydance:

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Thanks, gang. Much appreciated. The local branch of the UK's collapsing Tesco empire isn't far from us and in an effort to boost profits (presumably, to buy up yet more building land as part of Tesco's speculation portfolio -- hope the value drops, then) they have rented out the walkway space in front of the store to Timpson's Shoe Repairs and Key Cutting. So now when we visit Tesco's, we have to side-step a large ugly shed in order to access an even larger and uglier supermarket.

I shall, therefore, go into the shed tomorrow, always providing it hasn't blown away in the current gales, and ask The Person there if she/he can cut a non-transponder key. If they merely attempt to sell me a tin of re-programmed shoe polish, I shall be miffed.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

@Flyyte - presumably you will hide this newly cut simple key somewhere in the i30, and use the remote fob to set/unset/lock/unlock, and trust the vehicle will start with the new key ?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If there is no cost to you, then it would be quite simple to let Hy handle it. However, if there IS a cost to you, then I would buy a replacement shell on eBay and get the blank key cut and transfer all the electronics from the old shell to the new shell. There's a You tube showing how to do it. It will only cost you the price of a new key cut and the shell.

We don't have any key issues yet, but I'm expecting my ordered shell to arrive very soon, just in case.

:link: Folding Remote KEY Case FOR Hyundai I20 I30 Flip FOB 3 BTN | eBay

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Thanks Phil, so you need the remote near (or new key fixed to the remote) to start the car then ?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, right up near where the key pivots, there's a very small black box. This is the transponder that talks to the alarm, etc. It is powered up through the key, by the car itself, so doesn't have a battery. The battery that IS inside the key remote is for locking / unlocking the doors.

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Phil: sincere thanks for those insights. It explains why, earlier today, I entirely failed to organise the provision of a spare key in a non-remote fob.

Being a bit simple-minded, I'd thought that removing the remote functionality from the equation would mean the removal of the electronics aspect, too. Not so. The key cutter I talked to said sorry, we can't simply make a copy of your key blade -- the blade that flew out when the remote key fell apart -- and stick it in some kind of plastic grip. It's not like that with modern keys. 

We can provide you with a duplicate of your existing i30 remote key (complete with open/close buttons) for around £110, which you'll find is actually a lot less than your dealer would charge. But as to making you an old-style non-remote key which will open the car doors manually and turn on the ignition, sorry, it's just not possible. A chip is required for the key to function whether you're incorporating the remote facility or not.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Hi Flyyte.
I had a feeling that you were thinking just that - so I sorta primed Phil to explain & detail exactly what you need to do (I did not want to highjack your post too much :)).
But it's pretty simple really - so give it a try (not that expensive) - it could be well worth it  :D

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Sincere (though I always am) thanks to Phil and Mike for the patience shown and the expert insights so freely provided. Finally -- finally!! -- I've understood how these darn things actually work. . .

'S funny, how they're such everyday objects that their very ordinariness means folks like me don't give 'em a second thought. It's only when an incident like this occurs that realization dawns about the sheer complexity of what's inside those black plastic housings, what they do, how they work, and how they're powered. Thanks to Phil and Mike, and others who've contributed here, I now understand that it isn't just a question of some glorified wi-fi transmitter locking and unlocking doors; the key blade itself is inextricably linked to an electronics process. So the notion of just taking a key blade, duplicating it, and shoving it into any old housing is -- quite literally in this case -- an absolute non-starter.

I guess Mrs F and I have been extremely fortunate in that our key fell apart within the 5-year warranty period, otherwise it's possible we may have faced an unwelcome and very large bill (which we'd have disputed, though how successfully, who knows?)

Phil's helpful Australian eBay links are mirrored in UK eBay links, which I've been perusing in light of his assistance; fascinating to see this:

:link: HYUNDAI i30 REMOTE KEY FOB SUPPLIED CUT AND PROGRAM WHILST YOU WAIT | eBay

which at £130 has my eyes watering at the thought: if this is a non-dealer price, what on earth would Hyundai owners have to pay their Hyundai UK dealerships for a new key???

I was also interested to see this (which is pretty typical of other eBay UK listings of this type):

:link: HYUNDAI I20 I30 3 BUTTON REMOTE FLIP KEY FOB CASE SHELL WITH NEW UNCUT BLADE | eBay

Less than a fiver! And also this for UK-based i30 owners:

:link: Hyundai 3 Button Flip Remote Key REPAIR SERVICE - i30 i20 i35 | eBay

I'd never have thought of eBay until coming on here -- but then, I'd never have thought about something as mundane (to me) as a flippin' car key until ours flew apart.

Again, then, kudos to Phil. and Mike; as noted, our Hyundai dealership instantly advised that they'd replace the broken key, and undertake all the associated work, under warranty, so no problems there. But it could have been all so different only eight months from now . . .

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :Agoodpost:

I just checked my blade base around the pin and there are no cracks after five years of daily use. Happy with that. :happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Here's a how to vid.

A bit fiddly, but think of the savings.

:link: Hyundai Flip Key Shell Replacement - YouTube

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I checked my other key which has had about a year's use. All good.
As are my daughter's Accent keys - which seem to have more metal around the roll pin, incidentally.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal