i30 Owners Club

I30 Clutch / Transmission Problem

Spongey · 50 · 18322

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Given that no one else has ever had an issue like this, there can only be 2 possibilities

• The pan was not tightened at service.
  • The pan was not tightened at manufacture.
Both should have been picked up at service inspection. So, their fault either way, IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
is the slave / master easily visible under the car?

You can easily see both from under the bonnet. No floor crawling required.

I don't think a hydraulic issue will cause your fault , but anyway:

The master cylinder is behind the clutch reservoir on the left side of the firewall just below the windscreen. Check the fluid level, the reservoir is in front of the master cylinder.

To see the slave cylinder unbolt the black plastic air-intake (2x10mm) just above the radiator. This will give enough arm room (just) to reach down to the slave cylinder about 2/3 way down the gearbox casing. if you can't see it, get someone to press the clutch a few times while you look down an you will see it. It has a little rubber boot. If it's leaking a little there will be fluid in there. If it's leaking a lot you'll see it on the under-tray below. It wont make it as far as dripping on the floor.

It's really easy to bleed the clutch.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 20:39:27 by Lorian »

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Well the rattle mystery is solved just been as far under the car as I can get without jacking it up and the engine skid plate is hanging off only one bolt left holding it on and that is half out managed to get a socket on the last bolt and tighten it up anyone know how many bolts there should be?? There appear to be 4 holes I can see.
(It was serviced by a main dealer 4 months ago)

It's not supposed to be a skid plate! It's an aerodynamic under-tray  :razz:

My memory says 4 or 5 screws along the front, and it clips-in along the rear.

To my knowledge there is nothing in the first 5 years of servicing that requires them to remove it, but of course it may have been to afford some fix. After 5.5 years mine are all still present and correct, if a little corroded.

Offline Spongey

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Cheers guys all the advice is hugely appreciated!

Have had a quick look no signs of leakage.
My mistake earlier scratching under the car i thought the skid plate / belly pan was steel when infact  I think it is plastic after been under again today. Only one screw remaining. I will bring it up with the service manager but won't point the figure just annoying as this isn't the first issue I have had with their services, on a previous time in the garage they scratched the car by prying bolt covers on the silver roof bars with a screw driver.
Had a drive this morning since tightening up the only bolt the rattle is still there when the engine is under load at 1750rpm still no clutch slippage.even with foot flat to the floor. Only a 10min drive to the local town on national speed limit roads no clutch slippage (only seems to happen after 30min).
It's booked in for Back end of this week so will report back!
  • I30 Tourer CRDi 1.6

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

the rattle is still there when the engine is under load at 1750rpm still no clutch slippage

A rattle under load at 1750rpm you say, and a possible clutch issue - interesting - do you hear the rattle only under load in 4th/5th/6th gear, or can you hear in 1st and 2nd gear?

Offline Spongey

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
It's present in all gears sounds to be coming from the engine had I just bought the car I would of ignored it as it doesn't sound that out of the ordinary but it is deft new. Started similar time to clutch issue being noticed starts 1500 finishes 2000 peaks at 1750rpm in all gears when acc is pressed beyond 75%. Most evident in 3rd and 4th
  • I30 Tourer CRDi 1.6

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

This thread

:link: Replacement Clutch due to vibration noise (Was:Replacement Flywheel - 1.6CRDi)

Was the reason I asked, bit of course this may be unelated to your issue.

I didn't have clutch slippage, but I did have a rattle/vibration at around 1800rpm-2000rpm, but only really noticeable under load in higher gears. I presume it was the springs rattling in the clutch, ultimately fixed by a 3-part clutch kit being fitted.

Passengers would never really understand what I was talking about but the noise was very evident to me. Hyundai Tech could hear it.

Offline Spongey

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Lorian,
Thanks I read that when I was searching the forum before i started this post. It did seem quiet similar and after reading it just now seems almost identical except for the clutch issues. I know the friction plates aren't covered after 2 year but hopefully the rest of the clutch is!!
Either way the car is booked in Thursday the more I read though the more I think I won't be picking it up Thursday night after work.
  • I30 Tourer CRDi 1.6

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Cheers guys all the advice is hugely appreciated!

I will bring it up with the service manager but won't point the figure just annoying as this isn't the first issue I have had with their services, on a previous time in the garage they scratched the car by prying bolt covers on the silver roof bars with a screw driver.

Ah, so you're going to take the softly softly,  approach with them, Spongey  :D

Offline Spongey

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Lol Phil!
I am a teacher so will go with I am not angry but I am very disappointed with you :( lol
  • I30 Tourer CRDi 1.6

Offline Spongey

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Thanks to all who offered advice.

By the time the car went into the garage on Wednesday it was almost undrivable after 20mins. The clutch was slipping in every gear above 2000rpm but only after 20 min unfortunately the garage is a 35min drive away but nursed it there!

I just got the car back from the garage today, it has been in the garage the last two days. The car has been fully repaired under warranty and has had a new gearbox oil seal, 3 part clutch and flywheel.
The seal between the gearbox and the clutch had failed and oil had leaked oil onto the clutch disk, the clutch disk had then gouged the surface of the flywheel so the garage replaced the seal, the clutch disk and the flywheel. Speaking to the service manager this is the first time they had ever replaced a clutch on the a new model i30 although they have seen this issue with i20s (different gearbox).

The above new parts, after driving 50 miles today, seem to of fixed both the vibration and the clutch slip

As an additional note the garage were expecting to find a dual mass fly wheel. I know there has been some debate on the forums over this but my earlyish 62 plate i30 with 1.6 CRDI 110PS has a single mass flywheel.

Once again thanks for all your help, car now drives great!
  • I30 Tourer CRDi 1.6

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :thanx: :Agoodpost: :happydance:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Great news and seems like a good result all round.
Thanks for the update.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
What they said.. Awesome!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Result
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Great news, thanks for the feedback..  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline pmel018

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wokingham, Berk
Sorry I am a bit late to this thread. I had exactly the same experience with my 2013 i30 Sport. At 6000 miles or so the clutch began to slip in exactly the same fashion, 5th or 6th gear mid-range throttle. After a very unpleasant session with the dealer, the gearbox was removed and the first motion shaft oil seal replaced, along with the entire clutch assembly. The dealer, in St Albans, who had been very good previously, were a complete waste of time and tried everything to get me to accept responsibility. Needless to say i now use another dealer who commented "ah the £5 oil seal problem again". Post repair all has been well.
Phil
  • i30 Turbo

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sorry I am a bit late to this thread. I had exactly the same experience with my 2013 i30 Sport. At 6000 miles or so the clutch began to slip in exactly the same fashion, 5th or 6th gear mid-range throttle. After a very unpleasant session with the dealer, the gearbox was removed and the first motion shaft oil seal replaced, along with the entire clutch assembly. The dealer, in St Albans, who had been very good previously, were a complete waste of time and tried everything to get me to accept responsibility. Needless to say i now use another dealer who commented "ah the £5 oil seal problem again". Post repair all has been well.
Phil
Is your car an auto or manual box?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Phil
Is your car an auto or manual box?

I'll put my money on it being a manual  :whistler:  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pmel018

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wokingham, Berk
Sorry, should have been more specific, transmission is a 6 speed manual
  • i30 Turbo

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal