i30 Owners Club

No Low Fuel Warning

Gina M · 21 · 8373

Offline Gina M

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Page, ACT
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. I recently bought a 2010 i30 cw sx 1.6 Turbo Diesel. The car had 1/2 a tank of fuel in it and now it is right near the empty line, but I have had no warning signals or beeping to let me know I am running low. Is there any specific button I have to press???
  • Hyundai i30 cw SX 1.6 Diesel Turbo

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
You do not need to do anything - the fuel gauge in my previous three i30 cars and my current KIA have all hit rock bottom without the light coming on until a few miles later. The light will appear when there is about 90 kilometres of range left. You can get a rough idea of the fuel left by scrolling to the "distance to empty" indication in your computer display.

Being a second hand car - why not put a 5 litre can of fuel in the boot and run it until the light comes on and the distance to empty display gets to say 40 kilometres from empty and then top it up.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Gina M

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Page, ACT
Thanks AlanHo for your reply....... you said something about scrolling to the "distance to empty" indicator in my computer...... I know I might sound like an airhead but how do I do this, I have pressed the Trip button several times but it just resets it to 0kms. Thanks in advance for any help you can give  :goodjob2:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I am in the UK - perhaps your car is not equipped with the same tripmeter

This is a copy from my previous 2010 i30 manual

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Gina M

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Page, ACT
My instructions are the same here in Australia. Could it be 2 low on fuel and it cant read how much is left in the tank?? I am thinking of taking to the dealer today as I only bought it on Tuesday. Also 1 more question above the aircon settings and below the stereo is a black LED strip is that ment to show anything or is it just cosmetic. This is my first car is reasonably new and I'm a bit confused  :crazy1: lol. Thanks again AlanHo.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Gina,

Have you ever seen a fuel consumption figure in your display panel, or just a km reading. It is possible that you do not have the trip computer model, in which case pressing the trip button will only reset the trip meter.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Gina M

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Page, ACT
Hi Phil. No I havn't seen a fuel Consumption figure only the km reading. You would think a car that is only 5 yrs old would have that feature. So it will be a guessing game for me when Im getting close to empty.  :disapp:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'm not sure if the SX came with a trip computer, so your car may not have the distance to empty function.  Personally I wouldn't worry about it, if the gauge gets to a stage that you are concerned that the fuel light isn't on, put fuel in it to make sure it doesn't run out.  You really don't want to run out of fuel in a diesel.

Maybe somebody else on here with the same model as yours can shed some light on the trip computer functions in the SX.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I have the same car MY2011 bought 12/2010 and the SX doesn't have the trip computer.

I remember thinking the fuel light didn't work then discovering that in fact it came on and still I had about 100-120km of range left.

If you do run out of fuel you will need to reprime the fuel pump after filling the tank. The button is near the fuel pump up near the back firewall somewhere. Only had it happen once.

I get between 900 and 1200km between fills.

Offline Gina M

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Page, ACT
Thanks So much everyone for all your help at least I know now (still disappointed). I'm still happy with my Newish Wheels she handles like a dream. Would anyone be able to recommend what type of Diesel is a good one for me to use. :ta:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Thanks So much everyone for all your help at least I know now (still disappointed). I'm still happy with my Newish Wheels she handles like a dream. Would anyone be able to recommend what type of Diesel is a good one for me to use. :ta:

I would use any diesel with a high turnover.  Preferably from one of the major chains (Shell, BP, Caltex).  I found the Vortex Diesel quite good, and still use it in my Terracan.  Others recommend BP Ultimate diesel. 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I use Caltex Vortex, only from busy servos, keeps the fuel in their tanks fresh.

Some brands froth a lot which slows filling but Vortex is not too bad. Wear a latex glove when filling as there can be some blow back when filling and it smells if it gets on your hands, OR CLOTHES.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
In my 2010 Auto SX Diesel CW (try saying that drunk) The fuel light comes on when the gage hits the E. Still plenty to go (though I don't like to push it, If the fuel light comes on at the Smith Street off ramp of the M1 I can still get to where I'm going and back to Brisbane before refilling. My best economy was just shy of 1000k when I drove from Brisbane to Sydney.

I can also confirm that the FD SX does not have the distance to empty/economy reading. This was a feature of the Fd SLX
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yep. The SX is the base model. Trip meter only.
Think the manual says "if fitted" in relation to the trip computer.
It's only in more recent years that full trip computer functions have become the norm down to basic models.
Does your car have cruise control?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Gina M

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Page, ACT
Surfer Dude. At least she has cruise control. Lol.   :goodjob2:

Offline Gina M

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Page, ACT
Beerman I couldn't say it sober lol. I filled her up before any warning signs and to my surprise it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. This diesel thing is pretty full on compared to my old 97 Corolla lol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surfer Dude. At least she has cruise control. Lol.   :goodjob2:
The cc and fog lights was a $400 facttory extra on the SX. Best $400 I ever spent.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Regardless Gina, you have a great little car now!!  Trip computer or not!!   :goodjob:

Offline Gina M

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Page, ACT
Yep FatBoy I sure do. I love that its so roomy but compact at the same time. It's perfect for my line of work as I assist a bilateral amputee who is also a paraplegic with his everyday living so now his wheelchair fits perfectly in the back without having to fold it or pull wheels off its saved a lot of time. He is very impressed with it to. :goodjob2:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Beerman I couldn't say it sober lol. I filled her up before any warning signs and to my surprise it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. This diesel thing is pretty full on compared to my old 97 Corolla lol.

If you really work hard you can get at least 60l in that 53l tank.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yep FatBoy I sure do. I love that its so roomy but compact at the same time. It's perfect for my line of work as I assist a bilateral amputee who is also a paraplegic with his everyday living so now his wheelchair fits perfectly in the back without having to fold it or pull wheels off its saved a lot of time. He is very impressed with it to. :goodjob2:

I was gonna say the extra "leg" room of the CW over the Hatch is great ....but perhaps I shouldn't...  :-[

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal